Summer Oto rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jorski

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im a M1 who is very interested in Oto as a specialty. The mix of clinic and surgery combined with the complicated anatomy make it seem like an awesome field to be in. Im aware of how competitive it is, so I am trying early to get some experience.

I have an opportunity to do what I would call a mini-rotation with several Oto's this summer. I have a good relationship with my own ENT doc who I shadowed as a pre-med, and he has graciously offered to allow me into his practice again, as well as offering to try to get me on board with some of the other docs there.

Im not sure this can be answered here, but Ill try anyway: If I rotate with these docs, am I doing myself a huge favor by contributing to my resume come residency interview time, or am I just wasting my time? My view is, not only am I getting some hands on (kind of) experience, Im also developing relationships with other Oto docs who could possibly write letters of rec. And I think it would be fun and interesting. The reason why I ask is a good portion of the applicants to Oto residencies have some form of research. I am not sure I have the contacts (or the desire) to obtain a publication in the area, and am wondering if this might be a decent substitute.

Thanks in advance!

Jered

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing ENT docs is useful in that it will help confirm your interest in otolaryngology. Otherwise, no ENT doc during an interview will care that you shadowed these guys unless they are big names in the field and could write you great letters. Although these lesser known ENT docs could write you letters, it is tremendously helpful if your interviewers actually know the person who wrote the letter.

Research with pubs, board scores, grades, and LORs (preferably from prominent otolaryngologists) are what matters.

In my opinion, your time would be better spent starting an ENT related research project with a well known ENT doc with hopes of publication by application time.

Are these guys private practice or academic ENTs? While shadowing private ENTs would certainly be a good experience and better than playing Xbox or getting drunk all summer, IMO it would be more beneficial to get involved with a research project with an academic otolaryngologist (and doing some clinical shadowing at the same time). As far as LORs, they should come from someone who has evaluated you in a clinical rotation 3rd or 4th year, or from a research mentor. My advice has always been to get all your letters from ENTs as the world of academic oto is relatively small and people generally know each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. The guys I know are private practice docs. It appears that I should work on making some contacts in hopes of getting on board with some research.

Is it as simple as getting a general idea of what I might want to research and contacting the chair of the department and saying "hey, Im really interested in Oto as a specialty, and I'd like to get on board with some research and see what I can contribute"? Also, in your experiences, do you find that professors and researchers are receptive to those who have limited research experience? I co-authored a paper in undergraduate but it was pretty small potatoes (non clinical).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a feeling I just need to start firing off some emails, but I'd like to be prepared :).

Is it as simple as getting a general idea of what I might want to research and contacting the chair of the department and saying "hey, Im really interested in Oto as a specialty, and I'd like to get on board with some research and see what I can contribute"?
Yup. Doesn't even have to be the chair. I got my in with an attending in the department who I knew through my physical exam class. He let me know some ideas he was bouncing around and also pointed me to who else had research either brewing or going on in the dept.

Jorski said:
Also, in your experiences, do you find that professors and researchers are receptive to those who have limited research experience? I co-authored a paper in undergraduate but it was pretty small potatoes (non clinical).
I wasn't asked about my prior research experience once. Yes, it's that important.