summer in sydney

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eledamau

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone..

i'm a U.S. med student - only in my first year - but i'm very interested in going out there for the summer to experience first hand what the health care system is like. does anyone have the best advice on how to get out there for the summer? who would be the best people to contact? should I find physicians who would be willing to mentor me over the summer? any advice would be appreciated!

i'd realy like some experience out there, because i am thinking of trying to apply for residency in the country after i finish my studies!

thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

eledamau said:
hi everyone..

i'm a U.S. med student - only in my first year - but i'm very interested in going out there for the summer to experience first hand what the health care system is like. does anyone have the best advice on how to get out there for the summer? who would be the best people to contact? should I find physicians who would be willing to mentor me over the summer? any advice would be appreciated!

i'd realy like some experience out there, because i am thinking of trying to apply for residency in the country after i finish my studies!

thanks....

Is there a particular field you are interested in? Also in the sydney area there are two med schools Sydney University and University of New South Wales. I would suggest contacting Sydney University and let them know you want to do a clinical rotation or elective here, and that your are interested in practicing here afterwards or what not.

http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/edprog/electives/index.html

Hope this helps. Good luck

eledamau...

Not to question the obvious, but do you want to come down during the Northern Hemisphere summer (which would be winter in Sydney) or during your Christmas break (which would be summer in Oz)?

Regardless of the answer to the above, if you have a particular field of interest you should be able to set up an elective, if your school allows time, or a short rotation on a non-clinical basis (given that if would be without the "permission" of your school, something that you do simply on your own vacation time and as such, they will not cover you for malpractice. Yes, malpractice does exist in Sydney - matter of fact, highest in the world outside of North America.) You might be able to set up a short research project.

Not to brust your bubble so early young friend, but please read the numerous threads herein about working or doing residency in Oz as a foreign trained, foreing citizen-physician. It ain't easy. Also consider the very likely fact that residency training in Oz will not be accepted in the US and you may have to repeat your training if you wished to work here. Anyway, worth a look before you start making "plans".

eledamau said:
hi everyone..

thanks....

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for all the advice...

i am still really early in my training, so I don't think it's a possibility to set up an elective to rotate through because they only seem to want students in their later years of training.

i have heard about the issues about practicing in australia (especially with foreign trained doctors), however, i'm involved in a serious relationship with someone who is thinking about coming to the states, but i also want to consider the option that i can move out there to join him. (plus, I love Australia!!) if it is possible, then maybe i would consider doing my training over... but first I need to find out how feasible the idea of moving out there would be.. in addition to redoing my training... and i would love to have some real experience before i do decide.

if i do want to try getting some basic clinical research in, my experience in research has mostly been in the basic sciences and clinical research of neurosurgery and a little bit of pharmacology, would I contact the faculty of these schools directly? Does anyone know if I'd have to go through a specific office? I don't really know the protocol for the schools.

Thanks again!

eledamau said:
t

i have heard about the issues about practicing in australia (especially with foreign trained doctors), however, i'm involved in a serious relationship with someone who is thinking about coming to the states, but i also want to consider the option that i can move out there to join him. (plus, I love Australia!!) if it is possible, then maybe i would consider doing my training over... but first I need to find out how feasible the idea of moving out there would be..

It is much easier to finish your training in the US and practice in Australia than it is to finish your training in Australia and then practice in the US.

Because the way the US system is setup, it doesn't matter how long you've been working as a doctor in a different country (other than Canada), you will likely have to start training from the ground up... i.e. write your USMLE and enter a residency.

The Australian medical system has more 'levels' for someone overseas to come and start working as a doctor.

You could work at the Registrar level in Australia if you complete your training in the US.