Summer Biochem with MCAT study or Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starfruit138

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning to take a gap year, but the closer it gets the more I just want to go straight to medical school. I am a year behind in chemistry, meaning I am finishing up ochem as a junior. I need biochemistry before I can take the MCAT, and it is offered as a 6-week summer course at my university ending on June 24. I would study for the MCAT during this upcoming semester, take biochem, then take the June 29 or 30 test date to receive my scores (and complete my application) by August 1.

My question is, how feasible is this? Should I just take the gap year to make sure I don't tank my application? I have a high GPA (3.89), 3 years research experience (w numerous internal awards), clinical care job, and volunteer experience.

Alternatively, I was going to try to get a research position this summer, increase my clinical care hours, and volunteer, finish senior year, and do the same research/clinical/volunteer during my gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

Do the gap year. More time for MCAT, EC's and a better application in general.

Get some work experience—medicine is a marathon, not a sprint.

It's not impossible and u could have it as plan A. But if you're not getting the practice scores you want, cancel the test date and push it back and take the gap year.

Last thing you want is a rushed mcat score to ruin your fantastic gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
You absolutely can do the summer MCAT and skip the gap year, if you're sure that you're OK dealing with the costs and sudden time commitments involved with a cycle in the middle of a semester in school.

Have you thought about health-care related programs that last 1 year? Such as continuing research, Americorps, etc? Finishing secondaries and doing interviews during a gap year will probably make you a stronger applicant and won't jeopardize your senior year GPA.