Summer Before Med School Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davlives

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as I enter my last semester of undergrad I've been thinking a lot about this coming summer. It's often touted as our "last summer," because summer following M1 is usually used for research opportunities and then there are no full summer breaks thereafter, therefore I really want to make it meaningful and fun. However, I definitely need to make money so I can stay afloat during med school. So what jobs do you guys think would fit the bill? I'm looking for something out of the box, not medical or science related. So far I've been toying with working at a gym or something like that.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I worked as a waiter throughout college and before med school. It was fun, make good money, and you get to talk to a lot of random people...which I found helpful because I'm not naturally that outgoing. Also, restaurant people like to party...so if you want to get some hard partying it...its a good way.

That said, if you've never worked in a restaurant, not sure if you would have much luck finding a decent job. That can be said for any job if your strictly looking to work 3 months in the summer...

Finally, I wouldn't worry too much about making money to stay afloat in med school. I mean you'll probably make a few thousand dollars (depending on what your doing) which will likely only last a couple months if your trying to reduce your loan load (depending on your situation). The loans you receive are enough for you to survive. That said I'm not arguing against it, because its nice to have a little extra spending money.

Uber is awesome so far (approximately 20/hour). Just be careful.

Go work at Disney world. Seriously, if I had the chance I'd take a crack at it