Summer after sophomore year...reject internship offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1071450

Hey everyone,

Currently about halfway through the my sophomore spring semester, and have applied to some internships. I ended up getting accepted by one, which is a genetics data-curation internship that contributes allelic information to an online database. I accepted the offer, because I still have another interview possibility and didn't know if they were going to offer an acceptance. Long story short, I'm not so sure I have a genuine interest in either of them after learning a little bit more (especially bc they are virtual and the zoom fatigue after 3 semesters of this is too real) :confused:. I will already be an autism behavioral health tech providing in-home services this summer.

This genetics internship I got accepted to was very competitive and the team really seemed to like me, so I would feel very guilty for backing down after having accepted. I did a bioinformatics virtual internship last summer and have done over 400 hrs at this point with this research professor (although all virtually because of COVID). Would it be a bad choice to back out of this competitive research internship? Actually, oddly enough, through all of this research experience I realized I am not the biggest fan of it.

I truly miss volunteering, and would definitely look into doing that and shadowing. I would be taking a gap year before med school. Sheesh, sometimes I have to remind myself that I am only 19 and probably deserve to just have a fun summer without boat loads of stress.

Members don't see this ad.