Suits me so

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KurtGoedel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys I am planning not to wear a suit to the IV. A blazer and formal pants. How much that does jeopardise my chances if I can talk better than I look?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope to see you there.

Likewise. If I was a program director I would give you extra points for having balls the size of your head. Unfortunatly most people don't think like i think...so...I hope to see you there too.

Aint being snooty guys but cant really afford one with the travel.Do I get one brownie point less?

I can understand the budget limitations, but this is the way I would look at it. You have spent $1k (plus travel?) on a ridiculous exam which basically tests your command of the english language and ability to be polite to a patient. This exam provides no quantifiable data to the residency directors for comparison. It's basically a checbox on your application file.

Now your wardrobe. You will, for better or worse, be judged against every other candidate they interview. I'm not saying they will hesitate if you wear a green tie- but standing out by wearing slacks and a blazer may leave a distinct impression.

Go to a discount suit store for the $500 special. Drop another $200 on two shirts and two ties. I propose that $700 is a far better investment than the $1000 for CS. Otherwise, i think you *may* be able to get away with the blazer at more laid-back programs, but I certainly wouldn't pull that at some of the heavy hitters.

dude
joseph a bank is having a sale right now. suits 299. that's on suits that are usually 700. suck it up.
a lot of the attendings in the world are very passive-aggressive people. they won't say anything to you about not having a suit; they'll just think less of you for it.
if nothing else, spend 150 at pennies

Go to a discount suit store for the $500 special. Drop another $200 on two shirts and two ties. I propose that $700 is a far better investment than the $1000 for CS. Otherwise, i think you *may* be able to get away with the blazer at more laid-back programs, but I certainly wouldn't pull that at some of the heavy hitters.

A $500 suit is a discount. geez. I bought a nice Jones New York suit from Men's Wearhouse for $300. they had a special for two suits for $300, but i splurged on the nicer suit. But spent $350 on 3 shirts and 5 ties.

Regardless of whether you think you can afford it or not, if you look at how much the past four years have cost a suit is a drop in the bucket. Is it really worth potentially screwing yourself out of a residency to save 300 bucks??? I agree, what you are wearing is not necessarily indicative of what kind of physician you are, but come on....if you are looking at cost benefit ratio, you stand to lose A LOT more than you will gain by saving a few hundred dollars.

I would definitely consider changing my mind. I mean hell, if you truly don't have the cash, get a new credit card and worry about it later (fiscal advice I would normally never give but this is a special situation) or go talk to your deans....they are normally very helpful.

Good luck. :luck:

A $500 suit is a discount. geez. I bought a nice Jones New York suit from Men's Wearhouse for $300. they had a special for two suits for $300, but i splurged on the nicer suit. But spent $350 on 3 shirts and 5 ties.

You're right. My numbers were off a little. Even with my inflated numbers, though, it's a whole lot cheaper than that stupid CS!

I must use my powers of fashion to let you know... my friend i would even wear a really cheap suit before trying the blazer look... its unfortunately all about conformity and they may spend half the time thinking about how odd you look. im pretty attuned to this as my wife wears hijab (modest clothing and head scarf) and who knows, she may already be scrutinized about this on her interviews.

You could drop $1200 for a pal zileri, canali, or armani, or prada, you could drop $800 for boss suits, $500 for abboud etc.....$300 for Men's Wharehouse

BUT my friend You can get suits cheaper than 300.. believe it or not... google "K&G" for one near you... or for example theres an "urban" store called Harold Penner's here in Kansas City that sells CHEAP suits 2/$300 etc, search for one in your city, look online for cheap suit deals in your size... dont know your size, goto a dept store and have them measure you, then order, get it tailored....or even worst case scenario... if i had to i would go and find an amazing deal at a "vintage" store or a thrift shop... get em dry cleaned and tailored and you could get a suit for less than $100!!!

can i get a booya?