Suits - does it matter anymore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JCha360194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know people used to take their attire seriously, sometimes spending a good amount on a tailored suit, matching shoes, neutral jewelry/bags, etc. With things being virtual (presumably still for some interviews in 2023), does a well-fitted suit/overall look matter as much?

How many of ya'll had an in-person interview in 2022?

How many of ya'll are planning to buy a fancy suit for the 2023 cycle?

Just trying to assess if I can use my old black blazer and comb my hair, or if I need to invest in a nice suit.

Members don't see this ad.

Blazer will be fine for virtual, no need to spend on a suit (though it’s. worthwhile investment in the long run). 6 II’s all virtual; haven’t heard of any being in person this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't need to be "fancy."
It should be dark grey or navy and fit you well. If you present as a woman, black is ok, as business professional suits can be hard to find in the appropriate colors.
I think the real question is whether IIs are going to remain virtual, since that will directly feed into what kind of attire people are willing to invest in.

I know candidates LOVE virtual IIs for obvious reasons involving cost and convenience. OTOH, I do hear some grousing from my peers about virtual second looks, since people value getting an up close and personal look before making a 4 year commitment.

Are schools willing to forgo the same, permanently, in the name of giving candidates a break? It must be getting close to the point where your peers are going to make a determination for next year, no?

One can definitely tell a quality vs. nonquality suit over zoom. However, I doubt it really matters much (in person + virtual) if you come across as clean/organized.

The only thing that is different is cologne/perfume (which in my experience can help when I interview people)

Suit jackets are still important; suit pants are now optional.

but in all seriousness +1 to definitely a worthwile long-run investment.

Reactions: 3 users
We were all expected to be in suits during orientation for professional headshots, so bear that in mind.

Reactions: 5 users
One can definitely tell a quality vs. nonquality suit over zoom. However, I doubt it really matters much (in person + virtual) if you come across as clean/organized.

The only thing that is different is cologne/perfume (which in my experience can help when I interview people)
As perfume is not permitted in a clinical setting, I recommend against it.

Reactions: 6 users
I think the real question is whether IIs are going to remain virtual, since that will directly feed into what kind of attire people are willing to invest in.
CA admissions officers meet a couple of times a year to discuss such topics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My son had a fellowship interviewer ask him to stand to see if he was wearing pajama bottoms during a zoom interview. I think if you are interviewing in person, a well fitting suit shows you take the process seriously and respect the school/program. My 2 cents.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
As perfume is not permitted in a clinical setting, I recommend against it.

I wish some of our male surgeons got that memo. I can smell their cologne 5 minutes after they’ve left the lounge.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 4 users
Interviewers like it, too! We don't have to haul our butts into the interview room but can work from anywhere and be back at our usual work in just a moment. The interview coordinator has found it much easier to get volunteers to fill the dates available. I see this as something that is here to stay. It is a real plus that it makes the application process a bit less expensive and less of a time sink for applicants, too.

You still need to look professional and presentable; however, that's easier to do in a virtual format. You'll need a suit jacket (notch lapels, 2 or 3 buttons, good fit in the shoulders). The ideal colors would still be navy or charcoal. Avoid black. A true blue or medium gray would probably work fine in most cases. Probably wouldn't recommend light gray, light blue, tan, green, brown, etc. Make sure your shirt collar fits and spend more time on your tie knot. I suppose you don't technically need a full suit at this point in your career, but wear SOME dark trousers in case someone asks you to stand, although that would be exceedingly rare.

But eventually a professional man WILL find a need for a real suit. Surely you expect to have a wedding, (hopefully not) a funeral, court date, REAL job interview (residency, fellowship, attending), christening/baptism, graduation, etc at SOME point? Keep in mind your body may change over a span of years, so it's understandable if you don't want to spend too much at this age. But I am enjoying my slowly growing suit collection more and more as I become more established. When I total all the occasions, I find that I have worn a full suit on at least 3 dozen occasions, probably closer to 4 dozen. The key is to buy SLOWLY as you learn more, as your taste and sartorial knowledge (and budget) is bound to grow over time.

At this point my suit purchases have been:
1) Gray, relatively cheap from Mens' Wearhouse, used for >12 medical school interviews, gave away to Goodwill as it had more than served its purpose
2) Navy blue, $400 plus tailoring from SuitSupply, used for >10 residency interviews (in-person), 10 fellowship interviews (virtual), >2 weddings, still going strong
3) Dark gray (not quite charcoal), $600 plus tailoring from SuitSupply, wore to work >10 times, attending job interviews (mix in-person and virtual), still going strong
4) Light gray in tropical wool, $300 (on sale) plus tailoring from Spier and Mackay, have not yet worn as it's currently at the tailors, but plan to get a lot of use out of it during the summers as it's lightweight and breathable.

I've become a suit lover and can't wait to expand the collection to include some less conservative ones (linen, something in tan or green, something with a subtle stripe or pattern like Prince of Wales checks, etc) but that's a topic for a different forum.....

Last edited:
You still need to look professional and presentable; however, that's easier to do in a virtual format. You'll need a suit jacket (notch lapels, 2 or 3 buttons, good fit in the shoulders). The ideal colors would still be navy or charcoal. Avoid black. A true blue or medium gray would probably work fine in most cases. Probably wouldn't recommend light gray, light blue, tan, green, brown, etc. Make sure your shirt collar fits and spend more time on your tie knot. I suppose you don't technically need a full suit at this point in your career, but wear SOME dark trousers in case someone asks you to stand, although that would be exceedingly rare.

But eventually a professional man WILL find a need for a real suit. Surely you expect to have a wedding, (hopefully not) a funeral, court date, REAL job interview (residency, fellowship, attending), christening/baptism, graduation, etc at SOME point? Keep in mind your body may change over a span of years, so it's understandable if you don't want to spend too much at this age. But I am enjoying my slowly growing suit collection more and more as I become more established. When I total all the occasions, I find that I have worn a full suit on at least 3 dozen occasions, probably closer to 4 dozen. The key is to buy SLOWLY as you learn more, as your taste and sartorial knowledge (and budget) is bound to grow over time.

At this point my suit purchases have been:
1) Gray, relatively cheap from Mens' Wearhouse, used for >12 medical school interviews, gave away to Goodwill as it had more than served its purpose
2) Navy blue, $400 plus tailoring from SuitSupply, used for >10 residency interviews (in-person), 10 fellowship interviews (virtual), >2 weddings, still going strong
3) Dark gray (not quite charcoal), $600 plus tailoring from SuitSupply, wore to work >10 times, attending job interviews (mix in-person and virtual), still going strong
4) Light gray in tropical wool, $300 (on sale) plus tailoring from Spier and Mackay, have not yet worn as it's currently at the tailors, but plan to get a lot of use out of it during the summers as it's lightweight and breathable.

I've become a suit lover and can't wait to expand the collection to include some less conservative ones (linen, something in tan or green, something with a subtle stripe or pattern like Prince of Wales checks, etc) but that's a topic for a different forum.....

+1 to make sure you don’t spend too much while young. I got married in an expensive Parisian suit, and can’t wear it after gaining covid weight and sympathy weight during my wife’s pregnancy.

• Haha
A well-fitted suit in charcoal grey or navy, with a white or light blue shirt will be best. Also, please do not forget the collar stays, as there is nothing that takes away from a suit more than a shirt where the collar rolls up on the ends!

Thanks everyone for your insight! Sounds like a nice suit to replace my old black one is worth buying so long as I don't expect to gain/lose weight and always wear the pants...just in case haha.

The Suit Supply recommendation is good. Best quality and fit at that price point, just make sure you get one that is appropriate for professional settings, some of their styles are a bit more "edgy" than you would want for an interview. The staff will tell you what's what if you ask. Dark navy is always the best to start, and will set you apart (in a good way) from the sea of black-clad applicants that interviewers are always joking about.

Confession: I bought my [virtual] interview suit and blouse at a Goodwill in a fancy neighborhood and spent less than $10 total 🙌

Confession: I bought my [virtual] interview suit and blouse at a Goodwill in a fancy neighborhood and spent less than $10 total 🙌

Thrifting is absolutely the way to go for building up a professional wardrobe on a budget. In addition to bricks-and-mortar consignment/secondhand stores, I've found that Poshmark and Thredup have some real gems if you're willing to dig and keep an open mind as to color/style. As an added bonus, buying secondhand is much more environmentally friendly than purchasing new.

Just the other day, I went on Poshmark and snagged a blouse for $21 that still had the $99.50 tags on it. I'm still riding high on that dopamine wave.

• Love