Suitable specialty for women?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

v1ss1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
Congrats on this helpful forum first of all. I am 19 and starting medical school in Czech this year. As I am female I have been listening to lots of people warning me that it's not as easy for a woman to be a doctor which I fully understand.
I am willing to risk it though and follow medicine as i love it so much, however I'd be happy to receive some advice if possible, on which specialty would be more suitable for a woman. I 've been told that opthalmology and otolaryngology would be good, as they offer a better work schedule.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!!

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Here's an idea:

A suitable specialty for a woman is one that she is good at, and wants to do.

I know, that sounds pretty crazy...

Here's an idea:

A suitable specialty for a woman is one that she is good at, and wants to do.

I know, that sounds pretty crazy...

It could be that the Op is curious as to what is a good specialty for women who plan to be mothers.... in which case there is a valuable thread to that effect in this forum. Or maybe there is enough social differences in her culture that she really does think there are certain specialties which are off limits to females. Its hard to believe the second is the case since she lists very competitive surgical specialties as options.
Its hard to know what the Op is thinking, but I suggest checking out the thread about specialties conducive to motherhood or maybe the Op will come back and clarify.

Depends on what you want.

If you mean good for time off for family (which I assume is the case), then, in America, the best is dermatology, hands down.

Not sure about the Czech Republic, though.

Hi all!
Congrats on this helpful forum first of all. I am 19 and starting medical school in Czech this year. As I am female I have been listening to lots of people warning me that it's not as easy for a woman to be a doctor which I fully understand.
I am willing to risk it though and follow medicine as i love it so much, however I'd be happy to receive some advice if possible, on which specialty would be more suitable for a woman. I 've been told that opthalmology and otolaryngology would be good, as they offer a better work schedule.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!!

:thumbup: