PhD/PsyD Suicide research in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyHike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am currently finishing MA in US and will be moving to Canada soon. I will be applying for Clinical PhD program there, perhaps after getting some more research and practical experience. I'm not sure if it's the right place to ask, but do you know if any professors in Toronto area research suicide? I'm trying to check on schools' websites, and so far I haven't gotten many positive results, so I'm giving a collective wisdom a try :)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, there are definitely people in the Toronto area that do suicide research. Your best bet is to look at the CPA-accredited PhD programs in the area and then review their faculty research interests at each department's website. Because Canada has way fewer programs than the US, it actually isn't a huge list to consider if you want to stay in Toronto area.

CPA-accredited programs list: Canadian Psychological Association > CPA Accredited Programmes - www.cpa.ca

Yes, there are definitely people in the Toronto area that do suicide research. Your best bet is to look at the CPA-accredited PhD programs in the area and then review their faculty research interests at each department's website. Because Canada has way fewer programs than the US, it actually isn't a huge list to consider if you want to stay in Toronto area.

CPA-accredited programs list: Canadian Psychological Association > CPA Accredited Programmes - www.cpa.ca

Thank you! That's what I've been doing so far, but no faculty member mentions specifically suicidal behavior research interests. I'll keep looking and will try to talk to those who seem to be at least somewhat related to the topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, take a step-back kind of look. Find researchers doing work in things like depression in general and DBT and you will surely find people for whom suicidality/ideation is a major part of their research by incidental occurrence alone.

Also, take a step-back kind of look. Find researchers doing work in things like depression in general and DBT and you will surely find people for whom suicidality/ideation is a major part of their research by incidental occurrence alone.

Thank you, that's a great advice!