suggestions for treatment after fecal impaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lateness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a friend whos baby who is one year old, has had recent trouble passing stools. most likely he has is just having this as a result of eating new foods and diet is changing, but she complains the baby is having trouble and crying and passing very hard stool, sometimes impacted. So other than disimpacting, what do you guys suggest, those of you with more experience in treating more kids, i havent started peds yet, so just getting opinions; enemas, magnesium citrate, mineral oil, etc. I know that most likely functional constipation, but i know we have to rule out the organic causes as well.

Members don't see this ad.

bafootchi said:
i have a friend whos baby who is one year old, has had recent trouble passing stools. most likely he has is just having this as a result of eating new foods and diet is changing, but she complains the baby is having trouble and crying and passing very hard stool, sometimes impacted. So other than disimpacting, what do you guys suggest, those of you with more experience in treating more kids, i havent started peds yet, so just getting opinions; enemas, magnesium citrate, mineral oil, etc. I know that most likely functional constipation, but i know we have to rule out the organic causes as well.

One-year-olds commonly become constipated as a result of switching from formula to cow's milk. I would recommend avoiding laxatives initially in favor of increasing water intake, fruit juices (esp. prune), and fiber (fruits, vegetables, grains, cereals - esp. bran, etc.) Constipation is usually self-limited in children.

If that doesn't work, stool softeners (like Colace) are the next step. If laxatives become necessary, MiraLax is a good choice for kids. Avoid using it for more than a few days at a time, however, to avoid dependence.

Hope this helps,
Kent

KentW said:
One-year-olds commonly become constipated as a result of switching from formula to cow's milk. I would recommend avoiding laxatives initially in favor of increasing water intake, fruit juices (esp. prune), and fiber (fruits, vegetables, grains, cereals - esp. bran, etc.) Constipation is usually self-limited in children.

If that doesn't work, stool softeners (like Colace) are the next step. If laxatives become necessary, MiraLax is a good choice for kids. Avoid using it for more than a few days at a time, however, to avoid dependence.

Hope this helps,
Kent

Thanks Kent, appreciate it