*******Suggestions for future BS/MD applicant?

indya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I will start applying to colleges soon. I am aiming for top BS/MD programs like Case Western, Northwestern, Brown, Boston, USC, and Rice/Baylor. I don't have much time to improve my application, but I just wanted to know if I am even a match for any of these programs or what I can do to become more competitive. Here it goes:

GPA UW: 3.9
GPA W: 4.43
SAT: 750M, 800CR, 750W (total: 2300)
SAT II: 760,760,750 (chem,bio/m,mathII)
ACT: N/A
Rank: top 5% out of 600 (highest possible at school besides val/saludatorian)
Course Load: All honors and 2 AP freshman and sophomore year (my only 2 B's were in freshman math.) During Frosh and Soph years I completed the IB MYP certificate.
Self Studied two AP tests. all 5s and 4s (though it was only four tests. I'm in IB as you will see in the next section.)

Junior year courses:
IB Bio HL 1
IB Chem HL 1
IB Physics HL 1
IB English HL 1
IB Psychology SL
Honors Spanish 4
Aquatics(reqd PE class)/IB Theory of Knowledge
Senior Year courses:
IB Bio HL 2
IB Chem HL 2
IB Physics HL 2
IB English HL 2
AP Physics B or AP English Comp (which do you recommend)
IB Theory of Knowledge
IB Spanish SL

Subjective part:

Extracurriculars:
Debate Team Captain (4 years)
Speech Team (4 years)
Chemistry Club (leader) (4 years)
Model UN (4 years)
Track and Fencing (freshman year. I doubt I will list this on app)
National Honor Society

Other:
400 volunteering hours at one hospital in general duties
300 volunteering hours at another hospital in ER
2x Published clinical medical research (I think this is my best thing)
Research in lab setting (no publication)
Internship with one doctor during summer
Shadowed surgeries over 25 hours
Taken a few college courses on subjects which interest me such as Religion and History (got all A's)
Spent three weeks in India helping provide medical care for orphaned/poor children
Set up a charity fundraiser that basically raised money for buying vaccines and basic medical supplies for about 15 villages in India for a year.
Won a few local table tennis tournaments (if that counts for anything)
I have traveled to over 30 different countries
Plan to write my IB Extended Essay (one-year-in-the-making 4000+ words dissertation type paper) on a topic in Guided Bone Regeneration (GBR) technology. I'm going to send this into all the colleges which I apply to.
Attended national youth leadership council and received a certificate of merit

8th Grade Section: (am I allowed to use any of these)
studied abroad in 8th grade in India for the year
traveled to Australia with group of students

Thanks a lot.
Any suggestions are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

On paper, you are competitive for these BS/MD programs. However, programs like USC and Brown also place factors such as essays under a lot of consideration. Once you get to the interview stage, which is likely considering your stats, it's a different playing field because everyone who is interviewing will have numbers and ECs similar to yours. You may already have an edge in interviewing seeing as you have done research, fundraising, travel, and other ECs that are good topics for discussion.

I'm a high school student and I don't have half of the things that you have. How did you help with research and get a publication? what grade did you start doing these things?

Members don't see this ad :)
I started as soon as I could on research because I have connections to both physicians and to scientists. Some of my friends didn't have connections, but managed to get research and one of them got a pub. I recommend emailing some professors at you're local university or medical school to see if they have a spot for you. It seems like it wont work, but suprisingly many scientists would love to have interested students working under them. I don't know your true age, but I wouldn't ask them unless you were at least 16. Clinical research publications are another story. It will probably be impossible unless you have connections.

Oh so that's how. Yea, it would be nearly impossible without connections, and I,unfortunately don't have any. Maybe I will email some people. It would be a great experience and the worst that could happen would be for them to say no. Thanks for the info!