Suggested Clinical Experience (Please Help!!!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakeintrouble

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying next cycle and would like in increase my clinical experiences starting in December. I will be leaving my position as a research tech. at that time (lack of funding). What position in a hospital (or any clinical experience) would be suitable for me, given my credentials.

B.S. Biochemistry
M.S. Healthcare Administration (Graduate in December)
EMT certified
3 years experience as a lab technician in a Medical College
1 year clinical field research

Thank you to those that answer

Members don't see this ad.

You can always become a scribe. You don't need a degree for that though.

What position in a hospital (or any clinical experience) would be suitable for me, given my credentials.

B.S. Biochemistry
M.S. Healthcare Administration (Graduate in December)
EMT certified
3 years experience as a lab technician in a Medical College
1 year clinical field research

Thank you to those that answer
Feel free to exercise initiative and apply for different jobs at a hospital. If they don't want to hire you, you won't hear from them - move on.

Be proactive.

In so doing, you might be offered a job (or an entry-level job) that provides you with a decent salary, as well as valuable medically-related experience (including clinical experience).

Serious job hunting often requires a lot of pavement pounding and a well-written resume - so make sure your resume shows your promise and potential as a dedicated employee.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I worked as an OR tech for many years. I went through a six month program, but many surgical centers and smaller hospitals hire without that and give otj. It was great experience, and I recommend it if you can get it.

If you work at a small place, you do way more than just set up and pass instruments. Depending on the surgeon and your knowledge/skills, you can be a very useful first assist. I also got to catch some babies in L&D.

The pay is pretty good too (when I left to join the military, I was getting paid $27/hr with just a six month school).

If you're spiritually/emotionally inclined I would highly suggest a unit of clinical pastoral education. If there aren't offering centers near-by, I'd try to volunteer at a spiritual care department in a near-by hospital. The experience is invaluable. You can PM me if you want more details.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to tech positions at a local hospital. There are many entry level positions that don't require any education or certification, or some ED tech positions may utilize your EMT. I applied to about a dozen tech positions when I graduated college and have been working as a periop tech for two and half years now. The experience, exposure, and relationships that I have gained are invaluable (which is nice for getting LORs;);) and honestly the support I'm receiving from my coworkers in phenomenal.) I just got my first interview offer :soexcited:and ran and told one of the doctors I work with that has been involved in my app process-he was almost as excited as I was.

That being said, don't go in there with a surgeon ego. Go in, learn, get your hands dirty, and do your job well. I had no plans of going to medical school when I got this job--and now there's nothing else that will fulfill me.

Feel free to exercise initiative and apply for different jobs at a hospital. If they don't want to hire you, you won't hear from them - move on.

Be proactive.

In so doing, you might be offered a job (or an entry-level job) that provides you with a decent salary, as well as valuable medically-related experience (including clinical experience).

Serious job hunting often requires a lot of pavement pounding and a well-written resume - so make sure your resume shows your promise and potential as a dedicated employee.

Thank you.
And to add to this, never tell the employer that you are planning on applying to medical school during an interview or probationary period.

Reactions: 1 users
And to add to this, never tell the employer that you are planning on applying to medical school during an interview or probationary period.

I wouldn't say never. All 3 of my employers (1 hospital, 2 ambulance) know I am applying to medical school and have known since day 1, and now most people ask for updates on the process. I was truthful with them because I wanted to be a good employee and keep them apprised instead of bailing when I gained acceptance. Yes, maybe some employers will not hire you, others will value your dedication to education and to chasing your dreams.

I wouldn't say never. All 3 of my employers (1 hospital, 2 ambulance) know I am applying to medical school and have known since day 1, and now most people ask for updates on the process. I was truthful with them because I wanted to be a good employee and keep them apprised instead of bailing when I gained acceptance. Yes, maybe some employers will not hire you, others will value your dedication to education and to chasing your dreams.
Most employers would not touch you if they knew you were only going to work for a year and run off to medical school, unless they are desperate to fill that position in any way possible. I have had experience doing both i.e. withholding that information and sharing the information. In my limited sample size i have seen that employers dont want to deal with temporary employees if they can avoid it. It costs money and resources to hire and train you. And the economy is particularly harsh on low skill jobs that OP would most likely be applying for so more competition. Also, one does not know that they will get into medical school after the allotted time either so you may be working there for longer.

Most employers would not touch you if they knew you were only going to work for a year and run off to medical school, unless they are desperate to fill that position in any way possible. I have had experience doing both i.e. withholding that information and sharing the information. In my limited sample size i have seen that employers dont want to deal with temporary employees if they can avoid it. It costs money and resources to hire and train you. And the economy is particularly harsh on low skill jobs that OP would most likely be applying for so more competition. Also, one does not know that they will get into medical school after the allotted time either so you may be working there for longer.

Exactly, which is why you don't necessarily give them a timeline since nothing is set in stone. I typically state that medical school is my end goal. Most employers will look at your resume, see your education and the job your are applying for and have an idea, so its nice to be up front and honest. At least has worked out multiple times for me.