Sugar vs. Reverse Sugar Tong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheHumblingRiver

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is your preference for distal, displaced or comminuted radial fracture for stabilization in a community ED while they wait to see you? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Either, it’s almost always janky if placed by the ED personnel. I have stopped caring, I try to see them as soon as I can so I can plan for closed vs open reduction. I almost always have to resplint when they come to my office, I.e if they are not being casted for a non displaced fx.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I’m happy if they make an attempt at a sugar tong. I’ve seen patients who got a volar slab after the ER did a CR. Like what is that exactly doing?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping for a well padded double sugar tong, not blocking MCP flexion, with evidence of a dorsal mold.
But none of that ever happens.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually never even heard of a reverse sugar tong. Needless to say, in residency, we did sugar tong and they were always perfectly placed as we went in and reduced the fracture and allowed MCP flexion. In real attending life, every splint the ER does sucks and 100% never allows MCP flexion, forget anytype of mold. I just put them in new splints and/or cast them.