Suffolk University Clinical PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funky_buddha

Reaction score
I found a lab at Suffolk that seems pretty on target as far as research interests, and the post doc in my lab knows the PI and says he's an amazing human being. It's likely that I will apply, since it's the only lab I've found locally that really piqued my interest. Apparently Suffolk just started waiving 6+ years of tuition for its clinical students, whereas it used to be unfunded or partially funded... I was wondering if anyone on this forum attended this program and had anything to say about it. What was your experience? Were you able to make ends meet financially, living in such an expensive city? Did you find RA/TA opportunities?

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there ages ago and liked the program, but the funding was poor and everyone had extra jobs to afford grad school. I got a partial funding offer, but opted for a program with full funding that was stable. To date myself, Edith Kaplan was teaching there when I interviewed. I had a great chat with her over lunch and checked that box off my professional bucket list.

Reactions: 1 users
I know someone who went there. A 6th year who just started internship. She said that funding was not great for her (partial funding), however funding became much better for the newer classes. Unfortunately w/ my friends timing, her cohort was not allowed the increased benefits. But I guess that is good news for you and whoever else is interested in the program!

I don't know the specifics for Suffolk, but I've lived in Boston for several years and generally there are many, many folks who are able to manage living as PhD students. I was in a masters program there, working a bit but not paid much. IMO, Boston is one of the more "doable" cities for grad students; I wouldn't even classify it as "such an expensive city". For perspective, though, I grew up and currently in the nyc area, and my sister lives in SF.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there ages ago and liked the program, but the funding was poor and everyone had extra jobs to afford grad school. I got a partial funding offer, but opted for a program with full funding that was stable. To date myself, Edith Kaplan was teaching there when I interviewed. I had a great chat with her over lunch and checked that box off my professional bucket list.
I know someone who went there. A 6th year who just started internship. She said that funding was not great for her (partial funding), however funding became much better for the newer classes. Unfortunately w/ my friends timing, her cohort was not allowed the increased benefits. But I guess that is good news for you and whoever else is interested in the program!

I don't know the specifics for Suffolk, but I've lived in Boston for several years and generally there are many, many folks who are able to manage living as PhD students. I was in a masters program there, working a bit but not paid much. IMO, Boston is one of the more "doable" cities for grad students; I wouldn't even classify it as "such an expensive city". For perspective, though, I grew up and currently in the nyc area, and my sister lives in SF.

Thank you both. Yes it sounds like this is pretty good timing now that the program is fully funded for 6 years with option to petition for extended funding beyond that. Staying in Boston would be a huge plus for me, since I have friends and family nearby and love the city. I do think it is a very expensive city on a grad student's budget, compared to programs in places like the midwest. That said, definitely doable and many are able to make it work. I'm lucky enough to have plenty of savings from living at home for a while.

Reactions: 1 user
A former supervisor of mine went to Suffolk. They always complained about the debt but the neuropsych training was pretty fantastic. Also definitions of "fully funded" vary. It could be just a tuition waiver or it could be a waiver and a 20k stipend for TA'ing. You will still be living in the Boston-area with a high cost of living so it will be important to know their definition of fully funded and if you will have to take out loans to survive.

A former supervisor of mine went to Suffolk. They always complained about the debt but the neuropsych training was pretty fantastic. Also definitions of "fully funded" vary. It could be just a tuition waiver or it could be a waiver and a 20k stipend for TA'ing. You will still be living in the Boston-area with a high cost of living so it will be important to know their definition of fully funded and if you will have to take out loans to survive.

I reached out to an administrator and she said it's a tuition waiver plus a stipend that includes RA work. However, since it's the first year with the stipend, the requirements and amounts may change for 2020. Hopefully that's a good thing...

I reached out to an administrator and she said it's a tuition waiver plus a stipend that includes RA work. However, since it's the first year with the stipend, the requirements and amounts may change for 2020. Hopefully that's a good thing...

It would also be useful to know if the stipend is 12-months or only the academic year. June-end of September without a check is tough.

I went there and graduated in the past 2 years. I loved it there and even though it was only partially funded when I was there I found the atmosphere and collaboration more than made up for it. If you want to direct message me and ask any specific questions I am happy to chat.