Successful Applicant Stats C/O 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question... you can delete it if it doesn't belong here. I noticed a few people put their high school extracurriculars on their apps. Is it normal for you to do so? I read somewhere that when making a resume, you aren't supposed to list the activities you did in high school when you're not in high school anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question... you can delete it if it doesn't belong here. I noticed a few people put their high school extracurriculars on their apps. Is it normal for you to do so? I read somewhere that when making a resume, you aren't supposed to list the activities you did in high school when you're not in high school anymore.

Resumes you aren't supposed to, but the VMCAS specifically says that you can include activities from high school

Resumes you aren't supposed to, but the VMCAS specifically says that you can include activities from high school

:thumbup:

also, not only does it say you can...but all the vet adcoms i have talked to say you 100% should because they want to know about your whole life process not just college. altough- i wouldnt add every pointless job you have had that isnt related to animal or vet (IMO).
It is especially good if you had stellar grades in hs, and then in college your grades were good but maybe 1-2 bad semesters. then they can tell you really were a great student all through life except a couple times when you had personal issues going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plus high school gives much more detail about our personal lives since, let's be honest, we had much more time/opportunities to do extracurriculars in high school

For example, I did drama and musicals in high school. I can't do this in college because of lack of time, plus the only plays/musicals I know of are only for those majoring in dramatic arts.

But this was a big part of my life (since I got many lead roles and I spent 20+ hours a week doing it) and I ended being asked about this by a school in my interview.

my college extracurriculars are mostly clubs and volunteering (which looks a bit more blah IMO). so I say definitely add stuff for high school! I don't see how it can hurt

Plus high school gives much more detail about our personal lives since, let's be honest, we had much more time/opportunities to do extracurriculars in high school

For example, I did drama and musicals in high school. I can't do this in college because of lack of time, plus the only plays/musicals I know of are only for those majoring in dramatic arts.

But this was a big part of my life (since I got many lead roles and I spent 20+ hours a week doing it) and I ended being asked about this by a school in my interview.

my college extracurriculars are mostly clubs and volunteering (which looks a bit more blah IMO). so I say definitely add stuff for high school! I don't see how it can hurt

this! I was a huge band geek in high school and loved it! I don't play in our university orchestra because I wanted to devote my time to other things, but I still play flute in my spare time. just saying "sometimes I play flute" doesn't nearly explain me as well as being able to list all the bands I was in and positions I held during high school.

That's great to know!

In grade 12 alone I did three IB courses, was math league sub, did Safe Grad, was yearbook editor, was in the drama club, was in Students for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, bowled in a league, volunteered at a vet clinic, volunteered on and off at a shelter, held down a part-time job, and somehow ended up with honours. I ended up getting a prestigious award for all of the academics and activities I did in high school.

I'm starting to feel a lot more confident about applying this summer. Muahahaha.

Looking back on that list though... how the heck did I survive???

That's great to know!

In grade 12 alone I did three IB courses, was math league sub, did Safe Grad, was yearbook editor, was in the drama club, was in Students for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, bowled in a league, volunteered at a vet clinic, volunteered on and off at a shelter, held down a part-time job, and somehow ended up with honours. I ended up getting a prestigious award for all of the academics and activities I did in high school.

I'm starting to feel a lot more confident about applying this summer. Muahahaha.

Looking back on that list though... how the heck did I survive???

I wouldn't advertise that if I were you. I don't know this organization, but the name is strikingly similar to PETAs--people for the ethical treatment of animals. Is this a junior organization affiliated w/ PETA? Even if it is not affiliated or an AR group, the name is similar enough that unless adcoms are very familiar, I'd think they would just associate it with AR.

I don't particularly remember your name/position on animal rights--I think I'd remember if you were an animal rightist, so I'm guessing you are a mainstreamer of sorts.

Your other ECs look awesome and I'd think they would definitely be a plus on an app. :luck: when you apply!

As for me, I put tons of stuff pre-college on my app--acting, producing, writing, student directing plays, interpreting at local historic site, and a few other things that I thought might make me stand out. Plus all my vet and animal hours pre college!

I wouldn't advertise that if I were you. I don't know this organization, but the name is strikingly similar to PETAs--people for the ethical treatment of animals. Is this a junior organization affiliated w/ PETA? Even if it is not affiliated or an AR group, the name is similar enough that unless adcoms are very familiar, I'd think they would just associate it with AR.

It was a group in my high school... I think the only animal welfare group in the province. Two people who are in vet school now were in it with me. We did vegetarianism/anti-hunting/anti-seal hunt displays, petitions, went to the capital for protests, went to a lecture about animals and the law, and did vegetarian bbqs at school events. You didn't have to be Omg-vegan-PETA! to be in the group. The two vet students weren't veggies and were in it to help spread the word about spay/neuter and treatment of companion animals. Actually, out of 6 of us, only 3 were vegetarian. I can just abbreviate it to what we called it, SETA, and let people ask me about it.

It sounds like a great thing to have on your app, but that name would still be worrisome, I think. It sounds like you can say something along the lines of, "member of SETA, an animal welfare group and did such and such..."

It sounds like it would be pretty spinable to me. I'm not too familiar w/ the process in Canada, but 1 province = 1 vet school, right? So there are probably adcoms semi familiar w/your group. :luck:

Regarding some of that - I don't think the vet schools would particularly like it that the group advocated vegetarianism and hunting. Vegetarianism - I understand that some people cannot stand meat, but meat is a HUGE part of the veterinarian industry, and I would be aware of that...
I think you could put it on your app, and clarify in the explanation section that the group was not involved wiht PETA at all, and you should be ok. I would also be prepared to talk about it in the interview, to explain your stand on some of the issues, ( i.e. If you promote a vegetarian lifestyle, what do you think about veterinarians treating animals that will eventually be slaughtered and consumed?? What about the farmers who make their living off of these animals??)

No more extra talk here haha. Only successful applicant stats pleaseeee! You can start a new thread. I just hate getting so excited to see new stats and then BAM its not :(

I've been set on vet school since senior year in high school, and was ready to apply (pre-reqs, sufficient experience, gre, + LORs) to go straight from college... but got cold feet and deferred applying for 2 years. I really wanted a shot at CSU to be close to my cockatoo and African Grey (long story), and didn't want to apply until I felt I was the best applicant I could possibly be... and luckily it worked! Now I just have to go visit CSU to make doubly certain that it's where I want to get my veterinary education and not just the school closest to my birdies.

1st year applicant, 24 year old Female, Massachusetts Resident. BA in Biology 2008 Wellesley College

Applied:
Cornell, CSU, Ohio State, Tufts, UC Davis, U of MN, UPenn,
Rejected:
UC Davis
Interviews:
OSU, UPenn, Tufts, U of MN (withdrawn)
Waitlisted:
Cornell (withdrawn)
Accepted:
CSU, OSU, Tufts, UPenn

Grades and such:

Cumulative GPA: 3.58
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.74
Science: 3.57

GRE: 1350, 590 V, 760 Q, 4.5 AW
*Lots of upper level science classes. (for CSU, 14 extra courses where 10 had lab; for penn, 11 extra courses where 8 had lab; and for OSU, 11 extra courses where 6 had lab)

*I was also a math whiz back in high school. Finished calculus by sophomore yr, and aced linear algebra and multivariable differential calc that summer at Stanford
*Bilingual and not a US citizen

Honors and Awards:

cum laude
Awarded college summer stipend for non-profit work with wildlife rehab

Speaker for college conference pretty much for a backstage tour of an open admissions humane society
First Year Distinction
Governor's Scholar Award
Golden State Award
CSF Life member

Veterinary Experience:

750 hrs Vet tech at humane society (320 hrs employed, 430 hrs volunteered)

2700 hrs Research under MD in human hospital (at time of application, still working full time)

Animal Experience:

480 hrs Wildlife rehab internship (huuuge load as much as 1000 intakes/month)

1200 hrs Animal care internship (farm animals, exotic animals, wildlife)
700 hrs Facility director of small animal rescue org (pretty much full time concurrently with research job)
240 hrs Private dog walking/sitting (including the college president's dog!)

Extracurricular/Community Activities:

Guild of Carilloneurs (2 yrs)

Pre-vet society (2 yrs)
After school tutoring program (1 yr)

Other employment:

3.5 yrs A bunch of different on-campus jobs at college

5 yrs Kumon Math and Reading Center (felt like I was selling my soul to the devil torturing little kids)
1 yr Private tutoring high school math+science

Letters of Recommendation:

My MD PI, who is the chief of my unit at a world renown hospital

Chief of vet services at humane society I've known since I was 17
Immunology professor I adore

***For the ones that would allow extra LORS:
Spay/neuter vet at humane society I've known since I was 17
Interim director of the rescue I was helping run
Animal care supervisor at wildlife rehab org
Lab instructor I had for 3 lab courses
Physics professor
Committee letter from my pre-health advisor (if the vet school allowed it)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1st year applicant, 21 year old Female, Maryland Resident. BS Zoology May 2010

Applied:
Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan State, VMRCVM
Rejected: Illinois, Ohio State
Interviews: Ohio State, VMRCVM

Waitlisted: VMRCVM
Accepted: VMRCVM (only 16 days on the waitlist!)

Waiting: Michigan State

Grades and such:

Cumulative GPA: 3.52
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.67
Science: 3.45

GRE: 1250 530V 720Q 5.0W
Course load: Moderately Difficult

Honors and Awards:

Deans List (4/5 semesters)

Phi Sigma Theta National Honor Society
Golden Key Intl Honour Society
Presidential Study Abroad Award (high school GPA)
A couple other scholarships for high school GPA
A few ‘Junior Breeders Awards’ for my chinchillas

Veterinary Experience:

1400 hrs at Small Animal Hospital

10 hrs observing two zoo vets

Animal Experience:
40 hrs Humane Society

65 hrs Horse/ Farm animal rescue
560 hrs at a zoo in the UK (study abroad/internship)
2000+ hrs working with chinchillas (breeding, raising, showing, attending seminars, etc.)

Zoology and Pre-Vet club, various committees

Orchestra, Marching Band, Percussion Ensemble, Concert Band in high school
Solo & Ensemble competitions in high school
Tri-M Music Honor Society in high school
Maryland Youth Symphony Orchestra
Kick-Off Mentor
Mutation Chinchilla Breeders Assoc

Other employment:

7 mo at CVS

4 semesters Undergrad Education Assistant for Intro Bio Lab
2+ yrs at on campus cafeteria

2 DVMs from the small animal practice that I work at

1 Advisor and professor for a few of the classes I’ve taken

*My personal statement kicked-butt, not to be cocky about it, but really I got them hook, line and sinker and didn’t let go until they were done reading it. I was ridiculously proud of myself when I thought up the first paragraph!

And can I just say, I am SO glad I never have to do VMCAS again! :laugh:

*My personal statement kicked-butt, not to be cocky about it, but really I got them hook, line and sinker and didn’t let go until they were done reading it. I was ridiculously proud of myself when I thought up the first paragraph!

Okay, now you know you have to post it...cannot keep us all in suspense..just teasing.:D

My personal statement kicked-butt, not to be cocky about it, but really I got them hook, line and sinker and didn’t let go until they were done reading it. I was ridiculously proud of myself when I thought up the first paragraph!

awesome! i felt the same way about mine :) my first paragraph was written kind of sci-fi about a story when i was chased by a 3 legged dog. everyone who read it loved it. this is amazing since i am not a literature type person (as seen by my low verbal GRE haha)

what was urs about??

I talked about my 'addiction' - Reading my first paragraph you would SERIOUSLY think I had a real problem with drugs or something, but then you find out, it's actually chinchillas - it still makes me laugh whenever I read it.

GellaBella, "horrible stats" or not, you're really an inspiration. Congratulations :)

ohh Thank you so much, it has been a long road but I'm excited (and a little scared!) to finally be on the right track :)

1st year applicant, 20 year old female, MI resident...was on-track to get a BS in Zoology in 2011 but since I got accepted to vet school that's no longer necessary :)

Applied, Accepted & Attending:
Michigan State

Grades and such:

Cumulative GPA: 3.65
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.65
Science: 3.43

GRE: 1350, 580 V, 770 Q, 4.0 writing
*I came into college with 30 credits from AP exams, so this is actually only my second year of undergrad, even though after this semester I'll have 89 credits.

Honors and Awards:

Dean's List multiple times
United States Senate Youth Program delegate my senior yr of high school
Various scholarships from my senior year
Honor Roll every semester of high school

Veterinary Experience:

1700 hrs at one small animal clinic
125 hours at another small animal clinic
Various lectures & wet labs at the APVMA Symposium for 2009

Animal Experience:

60 hours as a humane society volunteer

a few hours doing random things like horseback riding, fostering infant kittens/birds, etc
(I was really lacking non-veterinary, animal experience)

Pre-Veterinary Medical Association - 2 yrs, on executive board this year

College Democrats - 1 yr
Relay for Life - 4 years
Early Literacy Volunteer - 2.5 years
Student Council in high school, various leadership roles & conferences attended
National Honor Society

Other employment:

1.5 years at Kroger as a bagger

Two small animal DVM's from the same clinic
One from a professor I had for a gen-ed writing class last year

.3rd time applicant, 24 year old Female, Utah Resident. .
.BS in Biology 2007 Westminster College.
.Masters in Agriculture/Animal Science with a concentration in Reproductive Physiology

Applied:. .CSU, Ohio State, Iowa State, U of Illinois, U of MN, U of Missouri, Kansas State, Washington State, U of Glasgow, UCDublin, University of Wisconsin
Rejected: Ohio State, Iowa State, U of Illinois, U of MN, U of Missouri, Kansas State, University of Wisconsin
Interviews: Washington, Glasgow
Waitlisted: I WAS waitlisted at CSU and WSU until I found out I got WICHE funding !!!
Accepted: CSU, WSU, Glasgow, UCD

Grades and such:. .
Cumulative GPA: 3.2
Science: 3.4.
.GRE: 490 V, 640 Q, 4.5 AW.
Honors and Awards:. .
.Westminster Scholarship..
.. .
.Veterinary Experience:. .
>3000 hours with research Veterinarian (where I currently work).
.>1500 hours with large Animal Vet (during grad school).
.>3000 with small animal/exotic vet (worked there through college)
Tri Beta member (4yrs).
.American Chemical society member (4 years).
.Speaker at 2 national meetings (WAGO) for my research with Ovarian cancer and my lab’s nude mouse cancer model .
.Pre-vet club member (4 years)

Other employment:. .
1+ years at my current lab (worked some summers here) as a research assistant.
.2 years Teaching Assistant for Biology during Grad school

Letters of Recommendation:. ..
.PI, Professor of reproductive Physiology.
.Small animal vet I worked with during college.
.Large animal vet I worked with during grad school.

.1st time applicant, 43 year old Male, CA Resident. .
.BS in Economics, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania 1988
Certificate in Science, UCLA Extension 2010.

.Applied:. .CSU, UPenn, Tufts, UCDavis.
.Interviews: UPenn, Tufts, UCDavis.
.Waitlisted: CSU .
.Accepted: UPenn, Tufts.
Waiting: UCDavis

Tough decision upcoming....

.Grades and such:.
.Cumulative GPA: 3.5.
.Last 45 credit hrs: 3.80.
.Science/Required: 3.8-3.90.
.GRE: 760 V, 770 Q, 6.0 AW.

.Honors and Awards:.
Nothing worth mentioning
. .
.Veterinary Experience:.
.600hr small animal clinic volunteering (shadowing).
ZERO hours anything else

Animal Experience
>1000 at a individual dog breed rescue
>1000 training/competing dog agility
no other animal experience worth mentioning.

.Extracurricular/Community Activities: .
.nothing academic or community related worth mentioning.
but listed my rating as a Certified Flight Instructor for airplanes

.Other employment:.
.20+ years in various positions in finance.
.1 yr Instructor for Decision Sciences at UPenn (while undergrad).
other irrelevant jobs during college

.Letters of Recommendation ( took advantage all 5 offered on VMCAS):.
.2 x small animal vets I volunteered for last 3 years (one surgeon, one internal medicie).
.1 x Bio instructor who also knew me from agility training.
1 x CEO of Hedge Fund I've worked at last 10 years (who didn't want me to leave)
1 x Regional representative for breed rescue group I volunteered at

Other notable facts:
*Lived in Japan for 2 years (formerly fluent in Japanese)
*Flight instructor for single/multi engine instrument airplanes, commercial pilot's license, and private helicopter license.

*Biggest issue for me was to explain why the sudden interest in veterinary medicine...
*Mediocre grades as an undergrad during prehistoric times really didn't matter relative to the mostly good grades in science classes I took last 2+ years.
*Lack of other experience non-small animal an issue for CSU and UCDavis.
*Lack of upper division science classes an issue at CSU

.3rd time applicant, 24 year old Female, Utah Resident. .
.BS in Biology 2007 Westminster College.
.Masters in Agriculture/Animal Science with a concentration in Reproductive Physiology.

.Applied:. .CSU, Ohio State, Iowa State, U of Illinois, U of MN, U of Missouri, Kansas State, Washington State, U of Glasgow, UCDublin, University of Wisconsin.
.Rejected: Ohio State, Iowa State, U of Illinois, U of MN, U of Missouri, Kansas State, University of Wisconsin.
.Interviews: Washington, Glasgow.
.Waitlisted: I WAS waitlisted at CSU and WSU until I found out I got WICHE funding !!!.
.Accepted: CSU, WSU, Glasgow, UCD.

.Cumulative GPA: 3.2.
.Last 45 credit hrs: 3.65.
.Science: 3.4.
.GRE: 490 V, 640 Q, 4.5 AW.

Westminster Scholarship
.. .
.>3000 hours with research Veterinarian (where I currently work).
.>1500 hours with large Animal Vet (during grad school).
.>3000 with small animal/exotic vet (worked there through college).

.Tri Beta member (4yrs).
.American Chemical society member (4 years).
.Speaker at 2 national meetings (WAGO) for my research with Ovarian cancer and my lab's nude mouse cancer model .
.Pre-vet club member (4 years).

.1+ years at my current lab (worked some summers here) as a research assistant.
.2 years Teaching Assistant for Biology during Grad school.

.Letters of Recommendation:.
.PI, Professor of reproductive Physiology.
.Small animal vet I worked with during college.
.Large animal vet I worked with during grad school.

Way to go!! Congrats! I am soo glad you got into two amazing schools through WICHE! I have been hoping you would get in ever since WSU put you on the waitlist. :soexcited: :claps: :highfive: Have you decided where you are going to go yet?

.1st time applicant, 43 year old Male, CA Resident. .
.BS in Economics, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania 1988.
.Certificate in Science, UCLA Extension 2010.

.Applied:. .CSU, UPenn, Tufts, UCDavis.
.Interviews: UPenn, Tufts, UCDavis.
.Waitlisted: CSU .
.Accepted: UPenn, Tufts.
Waiting: UCDavis

Tough decision upcoming....

.Cumulative GPA: 3.5.
.Last 45 credit hrs: 3.80.
.Science/Required: 3.8-3.90.
.GRE: 760 V, 770 Q, 6.0 AW.

Nothing worth mentioning

.600hr small animal clinic volunteering (shadowing).
ZERO hours anything else

Animal Experience
>1000 at a individual dog breed rescue
>1000 training/competing dog agility
no other animal experience worth mentioning.

.nothing academic or community related worth mentioning.
but listed my rating as a Certified Flight Instructor for airplanes

.20+ years in various positions in finance.
.1 yr Instructor for Decision Sciences at UPenn (while undergrad).
other irrelevant jobs during college

.Letters of Recommendation ( took advantage all 5 offered on VMCAS):.
.2 x small animal vets I volunteered for last 3 years (one surgeon, one internal medicie).
.1 x Bio instructor who also knew me from agility training.
1 x CEO of Hedge Fund I've worked at last 10 years (who didn't want me to leave)
1 x Regional representative for breed rescue group I volunteered at

Other notable facts:
*Lived in Japan for 2 years (formerly fluent in Japanese)
*Flight instructor for single/multi engine instrument airplanes, commercial pilot's license, and private helicopter license.

*Biggest issue for me was to explain why the sudden interest in veterinary medicine...
*Mediocre grades as an undergrad during prehistoric times really didn't matter relative to the mostly good grades in science classes I took last 2+ years.
*Lack of other experience non-small animal an issue for CSU and UCDavis.
*Lack of upper division science classes an issue at CSU

WAY TO GO!! It could not have been easy starting back at school after being out and settled into a profession. You deserve to get in! Congrats! :soexcited: :highfive: :banana:

Thanks. Actually I found school a lot more interesting and enjoyable the 2nd time around. Learning turned from a drudgery to something I looked forward to. Hope I can say the same next year!

In hindsight, I might have just been taking the wrong classes the first time? Finance? Yech!

Way to go!! Congrats! I am soo glad you got into two amazing schools through WICHE! I have been hoping you would get in ever since WSU put you on the waitlist. :soexcited: :claps: :highfive: Have you decided where you are going to go yet?

Thanks!! I'm leaning more towards Colorado, it's closer to home and not to mention their stellar LA program. Who knows, I keep changing my mind!

In hindsight, I might have just been taking the wrong classes the first time? Finance? Yech!

Business in general, yech! I'm doing an MBA currently and hating it. Can't wait to be done.

1st year applicant, 23 year old Female, Rhode Island. BS in Animal Sciences with a concentration in Equine Sciences from UNH, completed May 2008.

Applied: Tufts, RVC, Illinois, VMRVC, Wisconsin
Rejected: Wisconsin, Illinois, VMRVC
Interviews: Tufts, RVC
Waitlisted: Tufts
Accepted: RVC (attending)

All at time of application
Cumulative GPA: 3.45
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.8ish?
Science: 3.8ish?
GRE: 570 V, 660 Q (I think...) 3.5 Writing (ew)

Honors and Awards:
Graduated Cum Laude
University Scholar

Veterinary Experience:
2000+ hours at a small animal practice (worked as a vet tech)
24 hours with an equine practice

Animal Experience:
100+ hours working at a horse stable (much more unlogged hours as a horse owner)
140ish hours as an intern at a equine rehabilitation center
90ish hours working as a lab tech in a pathology lab (mice and rats)

Volunteer for a folk arts foundation in home state

Other employment:
4 years as a sales associate at a retail store, 4 months as part-time manager at same retail store (go Express!!)

1 letter from my Reproductive Physiology professor
1 letter from my Academic Advisor
1 letter from the Medical Director of the small animal clinic I worked at for 11 months.

I think I might know you. Actually, I have no idea who you are, but chances are very good that we have met at least once...

:hums: it's a small world after all....

Don't DO that! I was excited for a second thinking you got off a wait list!

My thoughts exactly...that's one heck of a GRE score there.

I will just say, I had no intention of retaking the GRE... ever.

FYI: my advice to anyone trying to improve verbal score.. memorize vocabulary. 5 minutes before the GRE I knew more definitions by far than any other time in my life. By 5 minutes after the GRE I was immediately forgetting many of them.

5 minutes before the GRE I knew more definitions by far than any other time in my life. By 5 minutes after the GRE I was immediately forgetting many of them.

Great practice for vet school...except I'd say I've forgotten a huge portion of what I crammed in about half way through the test! :laugh:

CONGRATS StartingOverVet and Eringobraugh!! :soexcited:

startingovervet-let us know once u make your decision!!

cowgirla- im holding my ear to my computer waiting for u to scream!! :love:

Female, 24 y/o first-time applicant,
BA, University of Chicago, 2007

Applied: Minnesota, Wisconsin
Withdrew: Wisconsin (My boyfriend and I just bought a house and moving wasn't in the cards)
Accepted: Minnesota

Required science coursework: around 3.47 (by my calculations)
last 45 credits: around 3.82 (by my calculations)
V: 630 Q: 700 A: 4.5

Veterinary experience:
800 hours S.A.
50 hours L.A.
450 hours exotics/avian

Animal experience:
200+ hours therapeutic riding
100 hours shelter volunteer

Other experience:
Refugee resettlement work (1 year)
Volunteer Coordinator for global health non-profit (2 years- certified volunteer manager)
Research Fellow at major natural history museum
RA (2 years)
Genetics research
Camp counselor for disabled during college summers
Teacher's assistant in public school system throughout college
Two-time marathon finisher
APO involvement (3 years)

LORs:
Microbiology professor
Physics professor
Exotics veterinarian
Small animal veterinarian
Former RA supervisor

I truly did not expect to be accepted this round.

If you're thinking about applying in the next few years, my advice is this: pursue things that you're genuinely interested in (even if they have nothing to do with vet med)- you'll be a more interesting person AND applicant.

That being said, I've given up on trying to understand adcoms- I've met so many amazing applicants along the way, and many of them weren't accepted. In other words, I think there is a certain degree of randomness to the whole process- so please- don't base your self-worth on your application outcomes. You probably have a pretty amazing story and background- whether vet schools see it or not. Or maybe I was raised in the 80's, when all children were special and gifted...

Anyway, I'm so grateful and excited to be posting here!

GOOD LUCK! :luck:

Yay, I finally got my last letter back, so I can post!

1st year applicant, 22 year old male, Michigan Resident. B.A. English with Writing Emphasis in Poetry, Japanese Studies; German Minor summa cum laude – May 2009

Applied: Michigan State, University of Minnesota
Interviews: University of Minnesota
Accepted: Michigan State, University of Minnesota

Grades and such:
Cumulative GPA: 3.91
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.67
Science: 3.6 (I think I calculated it right, but I'm not super-sure)
GRE: (1460) 720V 740Q 5.0W (I had to take it on my birthday :( )
Courseload: Grueling (20 credits most semesters, no summer breaks)

Honors and Awards:
Phi Beta Kappa
Dean's List (All semesters)
National Merit Scholar
Phelps Scholar
2009 English Department Prize in Creative Writing and Literature
2007 IES Direct Enrollment Scholar
George Birkhoff English Prize for Best Paper on Any Literary Topic

Veterinary Experience:
80 hrs at small animal hospital
16 hrs at an animal shelter
56 hrs surgical/mixed practice experience doing aid work in Central America
1429 hrs exotic/laboratory animal experience [paid] (Included everything from euthanasia to PR work)

Animal Experience:
15 hrs at humane society events

Volunteer Teaching Assistant (Japanese)
Japan Club (Treasurer, E-Board)
GLBTQ Student Group (President)
APVMA Club
Varsity Swim Team (high school)
JV Tennis Team (high school)

Other employment:
RA (in diversity dorm)
Translator/TA/Tutor/Coordinator for MGU American Studies Seminar
Medical Data Entry Tech at Orthopaedic Practice
TA for Galapagos evolutionary biology field study

1 DVM from small animal practice I shadowed at
1 PhD that I worked under (the lab hours) and advised me during the app process
1 PhD that I had as a biology lab instructor & lecturer

International Study (showed in past colleges/coursework):
One semester Intensive Japanese Study at Nanzan CJS
One month evolutionary biology field study in Ecuador (Rainforest/Galapagos)
One month Japanese culture study at Meiji Gakuin University

Other things that came up during interview:
I was the Rhodes Scholar candidate for my school for 2009 (although, obviously, I didn't win the scholarship).

I think I might know you. Actually, I have no idea who you are, but chances are very good that we have met at least once...

:hums: it's a small world after all....

LOL! Well, it's possible. I mean, New England is like one big crazy community. And I'm from Rhode Island, which is like one big city. Everyone knows someone who knows someone who knows someone. I like to call it the RI 3 degrees of separation game. Because literally, I've never met someone from RI that I didn't know through 3 other people.

1st year applicant, 22 year old Female, Illinois Resident. BS in Animal Sciences to be completed May 2010.

Applied: Illinois, K-State, Wisconsin, Colorado, Auburn
Rejected: Auburn
Interviews: K-State, Illinois
Waiting: none
Waitlisted: Colorado State
Accepted: K-State, Wisconsin, University of Illinois
Attending: undecided

Cumulative GPA: 3.36
Last 45 credit hrs: ~3.6 something-or-other
Science: 3.45
GRE: 1250, 590 V, 660 Q, 5.0 AW

Honors and Awards:
ACES Dean's List (2x)
Outstanding Academic Achievement (all four years, HS)
Indian Prairie Scholar

Veterinary Experience:
24 hours at a local small animal practice
1940 hours in a research lab on campus
63 hours at a private Equine clinic
64 hours at the large animal clinic at my university

Animal Experience:
92 hours working as a private horse trainer.
334 hours working with rehabilitating horses at a local rescue
40 hours as a stable hand
36 hours Foal Watch
886 hours as a ranch hand on a cattle/dude ranch (woot woot)
120 hours as a volunteer animal keeper at a wildlife rehabilitation facility
48 hours canine ethology seminars

President of Equine Rehabilitation club at school
Webmaster of Equine Rehabilitation club
ACES Council member
Student Leader for backpacking/leadership building group
Young Naperville Singers

Other employment:
1 summer at boy scout camp in Wisconsin as a staffer
1 summer at Philmont scout ranch as a staffer
1 year employment at a second research lab

1 letter from the Professor who runs the lab I work in
1 letter from a vet I shadowed at a large Equine practice
1 letter from a DVM/PhD I assisted with research who now works in Pharmaceuticals.

Soo. My GPA isn't beautiful...But I think I'm pretty well-rounded and diverse in my experiences.

1st year applicant, 26 year old Female, CA Resident. BS Civil Engineering, University of Florida May 2006

Applied: Tufts,Oregon State, CSU, Minnesota, Illinois, NCSU, UCD
Rejected: Illinois, UCD, CSU, NCSU
Interviews: Tufts, Minnesota
Waitlisted: Tufts
Accepted: Minnesota
Waiting: Oregon State

Grades and such:
Cumulative GPA: 3.28
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.6
Science: 3.4
GRE: 1270 560V 710Q 4.0W

Honors and Awards:
Florida Bright Futures Scholarship 2001-2006
South Eastern Conference Honor Roll 2 times
District Champion Pole-Vault
Regional Champion Pole-vault
All State Pole-vault
5th Place Mesa Classic-Collegiate Track and Field
Dean’s List
Zoo New England Pride Training
Georgia Storm Water Certification in Erosion Control
University of Florida’s Women’s Top-Ten All Time Pole-Vault performance
Most Valuable Athlete
7th Place SEC Indoor Championships

Veterinary Experience:
800 hrs at Small Animal Hospital
8 Shadowing a Zoo Vet

Animal Experience:
900+ hrs Research-Infectious Disease Lab
800 hrs Research Cancer Institute
36 hrs Volunteer Aquarium
400 hrs Pet Store
100 hrs Horseback Riding
400 hrs Zoo Intern

Barack Obama Presidential Campaign
Patricia Christeensen for Mayor Campaign
Habitat Restoration
University of Florida Varsity Women’s Track Team
Volunteer at a Middle School
Junior Engineering Technological Society
Gore Liberman Campaign
Goodwill Gators
Pottery Class Teacher Aide
Gymcraftics-Community Involvement
Jim Martin for Senator Campaign Civil
High-School Pole-Vault Coach 2 years

Other employment:
Civil Engineer-Land Development
Civil Engineer-Landscape Architecture
Tutor-Algebra
Nanny

1 DVM Small Animal Practice
1 Microbiology Professor
1 Organic Chemistry Professor

So why no love for Kerry/Edwards? :D

I think it's great that you posted your campaign work; I did not for fear of rubbing someone the wrong way. I also did nothing more substantial than call some people and knock on some doors. I think that if I had invested more time into it or were getting academic credit, I would have reconsidered.

Congrats on your acceptance!

So why no love for Kerry/Edwards? :D

I think it's great that you posted your campaign work; I did not for fear of rubbing someone the wrong way. I also did nothing more substantial than call some people and knock on some doors. I think that if I had invested more time into it or were getting academic credit, I would have reconsidered.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Thanks! Yeah no love for Kerry/Edwards hehe..no really I just had my hands full with doing Track in college..and an Engineering program..which is why the GPA is not so beautiful :D

You know, I have my political involvement in my application and I put it on my resume. Maybe it does rub people the wrong way I don't know. But I wrote about it in my essays too. I like being involved in the community, making a difference in things that I believe in and helping people find a voice.

When I put it on my resume I thought "If they don't want to hire me because of this, then I don't want to work there." And generally people like that I am involved and active. I guess it depends on what field you are in and where you live. ;) Keep up your involvement.

1st time applicant, 21 year old Female, Oklahoma Resident. BS in Zoology from OU with Honors expected May 2010

Applied: Oklahoma State (IS), Missouri, Kansas St., Mississippi St.
Rejected: none surprisingly!
Interviews: Oklahoma State, Missouri, Kansas St., Mississippi St.
Alternate: Mississippi st. (withdrew)
Accepted: Oklahoma St., Missouri, Kansas St.
Attending: Oklahoma State!
Rigor: eh, it's a tier 1 school. and I'd say we have a pretty tough program. but I have no idea.

Cumulative GPA: 3.92
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.8ish
Science: 3.8ish
GRE: 530 V, 780 Q, 5.0 W
Bio GRE: 650 (not that great, but above avg. for OSU)

Honors and Awards:
Summa Cum Laude
Phi Kappa Phi
Golden Key
National Merit Scholar
National Society of Collegiate Scholars
Deans List (7/7 semesters)
Presidents List (5/7 semesters)
High school Salutatorian
AP Scholar
Best Housemate Award (from my sorority)
Oklahoma Academic Scholar

Veterinary Experience:
280 Small Animal (3 different clinics... 200 was a S&N clinic)
100 Research with scorpions and their fluorescence
7 Large Animal (ha yeah... I had so much trouble finding LA experience!)

not vet experience, but I spent a year volunteering in the hospital's emergency room.

Animal Experience:
40 Shelter volunteering

Work Experience: (mostly summer, some during school)
220 hours chiropractor assistant
450 hours church nursery worker
650 cashier/fitting room attendant
400 children's/youth intern for my church
20 (at time of app) Evolution TA (was 1 semester)
64 Summer Pre-school teacher
140 after-school program worker
(I have a LOT of experience with kids and people.. I totally played that up)

College:
Pre-Vet Club
Pre-Vet Club Treasurer
Pre-Med Club
Pre-Med Club Publicist
French Club
French Club Publicist
Sorority member
Sorority House Treasurer
Playing guitar for fun
Wesley Foundation

High School:
All-School Musicals and lead in Senior Play (West Side Story, The Fantasticks, and Much Ado About Nothing)
Yearly church mission trips to Mexico
12 years of recreational soccer
Very involved in youth group/District Youth Council

1 from the vet I shadowed/assisted at the Spay & Neuter Clinic
1 from the vet I shadowed at a small animal clinic. (he used to be on OSU's admissions committee which was awesome!)
1 from the professor I do research with

so yeah I didn't have a lot of experience because I was pre-med for awhile. but I survived!! I admit my scores and GPA probably helped a lot... but I think it also helped that I am super involved and have always had a leadership role in a club since I was in 8th grade. I also emphasized how much I loved working with people (all of my jobs are purely people-oriented) and I said that's what made me unique

Last edited:
21 year old Female, First time Applicant Florida Resident. BS in Animal Sciences to be completed May 2010.

Applied:
Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Iowa, Dublin, Glasgow
Rejected: Florida, and Pennsylvania
Interviews: Iowa, Glasgow
Waitlisted: Iowa, Michigan
Accepted: Dublin, Glasgow :luck:

Cumulative GPA: 3.5
Science: ~3.1-3.3
GRE: 1330, 560 V, 770 Q, 4.0 AW

Honors and Awards:
Dean's list a few times
National honor society
High honor roll in high school

Veterinary Experience:
560 hours at a small animal/exotic practice
1200 hours at University of Florida lab animal care

Animal Experience:
360 hours working as a stablehand
90 hours working as a dog bather at Petsmart

Secretary and President of Women's Chorale
Social Chair and Historian of Advo-cats club
Pre-vet member 2 years
Piano lessons for 15 years
Varsity Tennis team in high school
Select and Women's Choir all 4 years in high school
1 year choir in college

Other employment:
Team member at Arby's for a year

Letters of Recommendation
:
1 letter from a Vet I worked for
1 letter from the Vet who oversees the entire UF lab animal care system
1 letter from Chorus teacher

1st time applicant, 20 year old Female, Illinois Resident. BS in Animal Science scheduled May 2011 (may get a degree this August?)

Applied: Auburn, Illinois
Rejected: neither, surprisingly!
Interviews: Auburn, Illinois
Alternate: neither :)
Accepted: Auburn, Illinois
Attending: 99% sure Illinois
Rigor: I like to think it was hard, but who knows!

Cumulative GPA: 3.85
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.93
Science: 3.83
GRE: I can't remember the breakdown... total 1170 (without writing)

Honors and Awards:
Undergraduate Research Fellowship (2 for whole university)
Dean's list (4/5 semesters)
Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society
NSCS
pLac team leader (research project)

Veterinary Experience:
1 year working in a small animal practice
40 (about) hours research veterinary experience

Animal Experience:
2.5 years working on various research projects on campus. I worked with 5 different professors for different periods of time on research mostly involving animals, some lab techniques too.

Work Experience: (mostly summer, some during school)
1 year small animal clinic

College:
Social Sorority
Research, Research, Research

High School:
Marching band Drum Major
NHS, TRI-M music honor society
Founder Habitat for Humanity Club LZHS

1 from my undergraduate research mentor
1 from a professor I have worked closely with on research for my entire 2.5 years in college
1 from a professor (he was a doctoral candidate DVM at the time) I worked for in 2008

I'm really bad at estimating hours but I have done a LOT a lot of research. That is where most of my experiences come into play. About half of the professors I've worked with are DVMs, the others are PhDs.

1st time applicant, 21 year old Female. BS in Biology scheduled to graduate May 2010.

Applied: Iowa, Kansas, Washington, Colorado, Minnesota
Rejected: Colorado, Minnesota
Interviews: Iowa, Kansas, Washington
Attending: Iowa
Rigor: Fairly hard?

Cumulative GPA: 3.75
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.60
Science: 3.60?
GRE: Quantitative - 660, Verbal - 350 (terrible i know), Writing 4.0

Honors and Awards:
Student Association Senator for the School of Arts and Sciences
Dean's list every semester of college
Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society
Nominated to the Order of Maroon and Gold (specific to the undergrad school I attended)

Veterinary Experience:
Job shadowed two local vets for two semesters during college.

Animal Experience:
Horse Judging for 3 years
Assisted in breaking two horses for 1 summer

Work Experience: I have had numerous jobs...
Full-time and Part-time jobs in the summers (40-60) hours per week.
2-3 part time jobs during school year (20-30) hours per week.

College:
Symphonic Band, Marching Band, Orchestra, Woodwind Quintet, Intercollegiate Band
Student Ambassadors
Student Association
Alternative Spring Break Trip (SERVE)
Science Club
Social Mentor
Habitat for Humanity
Eucharistic Minister
Club Hockey, Club Softball and Golf
Campus Activities Board

High School:
Hockey, Golf, Football Stat
National Honors Society President
4-H (Horse Judging and Consumer Choice Judging mainly)
Band, Choir, Music Festivals and Contest
All-State Band and Orchestra for 3 years

1 from my private french horn instructor.
1 from my advisor (also one of my teachers for numerous classes)
1 from a boss I have worked for for 2 years.

My stats are not too impresive with little Veterinary and Animal Experience. I applied this year to see where I was at and become familiar with the application process and everything. I was not even expecting to get interviews much less get accepted! So anyone can do this!

Thanks everyone who posted so far!! I know it's hard to put yourself out there like that. Just know it's appreciated. :)

So I know we had some acceptances today and that's why I'm bumping this... :D

Honestly, I am very uncomfortable posting this due to my numbers, the very personal nature, and the fact that I was accepted to a school that turned it's back on twelvetigers. Hopefully this can be an inspiration to someone, somewhere...

28 years old, F, Texas resident, first time applicant, intent on pursing military medicine
B.A., Biology Major and Chemistry Minor, Magna Cum Laude expected 5/2010
A.S., 5/2009
L.V.T. 5/2006 by VTNE only, no degree for veterinary technology, etc

Applied: Texas A&M (IS), Oklahoma, Kansas, Tuskegee, Minnesota, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Louisiana, Mississippi
Rejected w/o interview: Texas A&M, Kansas, Minnesota, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Wisconsin (NCSU & UW don't interview OOS)
Interviews: Tuskegee
Accepted: Oklahoma, Tuskegee
Attending: TBD

Cumulative GPA: 2.47, no folks, that's not a typo
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.86
Science: ~3.6-3.7 depending on school's calculations
GRE: Bio 570, General 1100, 610 V, 490 Q, 4.0 AW, yes, I know I look like I count with my fingers

Honors and Awards:
Outstanding Life Science Student of the Year
Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma academic scholarship recipient three years in a row
Wildlife Rehabilitator of the year by regional WL group
Dean's list a few times

Veterinary Experience:
15,430 hours small animal/exotic emergency/CC med
200 hours small animal specialty med (surgery, neurology, IM)
650 hours small animal day practice and shelter med
350 hours large animal, mostly assisting vet at sale barn
80 hours lab animal, primates specifically
2080 hours wildlife medicine at nationally known rehabilitator center
? hours in wildlife oil spill rescue/recovery and medicine thereafter (I wasn't sure whether to put this under vet or animal)

Animal Experience:
8000 hours wildlife rehabilitation as home based rehabilitator
1750 hours as volunteer at local humane society
50 hours as instructor for IWRC basic skills course
150 hours as instructor for skills course for bat rehabilitators
? hours deployed in response to Hurricanes Gustav/Ike and was responsible for care of evacuees' pets and special needs medical population, respectively

Countless hours shipping care packages overseas
Volunteer at a shelter for victims of domestic violence
Addressed city council in an attempt to change an ordinance prohibiting WL rehab by permitted rehabbers in city limits- successfully accomplished!
High school a million years ago: varsity soccer, volleyball, softball and orchestra, Who's Who

2 letter from veterinarians whom have been my employers, mentors, and friends for nearly 10 years
1 letter from a criticalist who I've known and worked for intermittently for 3 years
1 letter from my biology professor, same one who nominated me for the Outstanding Student award

I had significant extenuating circumstances in my early adolescence and during the first five years of my academic career. I don't particularly wish to elaborate, but I will say that homelessness transitioned into a financially stable, yet horriblly abusive relationship. My desire and determination is evident by my dogged persistance, but sadly it took me a very long time to fix my situtation. I would have preferred to never mention nor address my past, but I HAD to address my academic record. The only way to do so was to be open and painfully honest.

Those years left my transcript littered with A's, F's, W's, and nothing in-between. I retook EVERY class I didn't make an A in and pushed forward. I was determined to show that my performance was situational and not related to my ability. The vast majority of the schools didn't even bat an eye as they pushed me into the rejected pile, and I completely expected that response given my grades and the fact that I choked on the damn math portion of the GRE.

Aside from the grades, my experience is strong, numerous and diverse. My PS was phenomenal and exceptionally unique. My LORs were incredible. These were people who truly belived in me and knew me well enough to write awesome reccs.

I still cannot believe this is real. 10 years after pursuing my lifelong dream, by some miracle, I received an acceptance letter.

Last edited:
1st time applicant, 20 year old female at time of app. BS in Animal Science expected May 2010. Virginia resident.

Applied: VMRCVM, Auburn, Missouri, Cornell
Rejected: Cornell, Auburn
Accepted: VMRCVM, Missouri
Attending: ???

Cumulative GPA: 3.73
Last 45 credit hrs: ~3.55
Science: 3.65
GRE: Q- 730, V- 590, AW- 4.0--I took it twice and this is the best of both

My experience sections are kind of messed up w/ each other--all the supplementals are such a pain.

Animal Experience:
As a note to all future VMRCVM applicants--they want to see your pet/livestock/horse owning experience on VMCAS.
~ 2300 hours owner/breeder/primary caretaker, herd of goats
~ 250 hours owner/caretaker/rider horses
~ 1000 hours owner/primary caretaker pets, dogs, cats, and bearded dragon
~ 75 hours feeding/cleaning/assisting at university swine center
~ 35 hours caretaker for poultry
~ 100 hours animal shelter volunteer
~ 30 hours as animal science student--think labs people!

Community Activities:
Member of Pre-Vet Club
Volunteer of the month in county for Animal Shelter
Senator of Student Government Association @ CC
Interpreter at local historic site
Theater stuff--acting, producing, writing, stage directing
oogles of 4H

Honors and Awards:

2 merit based scholarships from university
Graduated Summa Cum Laude from community college
Who's Who @ CCs and Junior Colleges
lots of presidents/deans list
several showmanship awards

Research Experience:
~ 150 hours working for exotic vet, cross referenced w/vet e.
~ 75 hours as research assistant to biologist
~ 75 hours as assistant in engineering lab

Veterinary Experience:

Observed 6 vets at 4 practices
~ 1100 hours working at a mixed practice
~ 150 hours working with exotic vet as assistant/research assistant
~ 20 hours observed equine vet
~ 200 hours observed food animal vet

Work Experience:

most listed somewhere above...
Also 1 semester rec soccer ref

1 from vet I worked for at mixed practice--got most vet hours there
1 from my advisor
1 from supervisor at a volunteer gig

Other things of note:

I have no high school diploma and no GED, which you can imagine was fun for VMCAS and the 1 supplemental that wanted to know high school ranking, GPA, and SAT stuff I had. The other big thing here is my goat experience. I included every little thing I had pretty much ever done with my goats some place in my app. 10 years of breeding/herd owning and everything that goes with it looks pretty impressive if you put it in bullet format :).

Last edited:
Crittergal, you sound pretty awesome to me :D. Congratulations!