Success After Getting MCAT Accommodations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedHead345

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just approved for extra time (1.25x) and stop the clock breaks for a disability. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with extra timing--specifically, do you feel the accommodations helped you improve your score? Can people share their scores before and after accommodations, if possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn’t have accommodations for the MCAT specifically, so don’t have advice on that front, unfortunately. However, wanted to say that if you did get them, USE THEM. It is nearly impossible to get accommodations on your medical licensing exams if you do have a record of having a disability and accommodations but didn’t utilize them on past standardized exams.

Sorry I don’t have an answer for your question though! Just wanted to throw out the above so you were aware. If you are disabled and have accommodations that were approved by the testing company, I anticipate it would improve your score. But that’s just my $0.02.

Hit me up if you have any specific questions that I might be able to field.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to throw out the above so you were aware. If you are disabled and have accommodations that were approved by the testing company, I anticipate it would improve your score. But that’s just my $0.02.
That's a fallacy. It does not give students with a disability an advantage it levels the playing field.

At OP, I cannot speak about before accommodations and after as I've always had them for the MCAT but I can say that the private room, with stop the clock breaks so I can hydrate given the medication I take, has helped.

I think the intentions of yersinia were to improve your score, regardless of what others do. With accommodations your score should increase - even if it just levels the playing field. IE: your score should increase after accommodations if prior you needed to move for 5 minutes after every 30 minutes... That would give you those lost 15 minutes back, which should improve your score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just approved for extra time (1.25x) and stop the clock breaks for a disability. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with extra timing--specifically, do you feel the accommodations helped you improve your score? Can people share their scores before and after accommodations, if possible?

If you don’t mind sharing, what kind of documentation did you include and for what disability? I just applied for accommodations and unfortunately I was denied, despite my extensive documentation. I am working on my reconsideration, but I am not sure what else to include.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t have accommodations for the MCAT specifically, so don’t have advice on that front, unfortunately. However, wanted to say that if you did get them, USE THEM. It is nearly impossible to get accommodations on your medical licensing exams if you do have a record of having a disability and accommodations but didn’t utilize them on past standardized exams.

Sorry I don’t have an answer for your question though! Just wanted to throw out the above so you were aware. If you are disabled and have accommodations that were approved by the testing company, I anticipate it would improve your score. But that’s just my $0.02.

Hit me up if you have any specific questions that I might be able to field.

Thank you!! I appreciate you taking the time to let me know, I will definitely be using them

That's a fallacy. It does not give students with a disability an advantage it levels the playing field.

At OP, I cannot speak about before accommodations and after as I've always had them for the MCAT but I can say that the private room, with stop the clock breaks so I can hydrate given the medication I take, has helped.

Good point, that is a better way to phrase it, leveling the playing field. I'm interested in other's experiences with them--thank you for sharing, I'm happy to hear your MCAT adjustments were helpful for you

If you don’t mind sharing, what kind of documentation did you include and for what disability? I just applied for accommodations and unfortunately I was denied, despite my extensive documentation. I am working on my reconsideration, but I am not sure what else to include.

Will you PM me? I'll happy to share my process for accommodation applying with you

@gonoles1996 Were you able to get the reconsideration? If so, what made the difference?