This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekoorbnadroj

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This may be an obvious/redundant question, but I was just wondering how the process of submitting letters of recommendation is when applying to dental schools? When I ask my professors to write one and they agree, do they have to upload it directly on to AADSAS, or would they give me a physical copy of the letter for me to submit myself?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

This may be an obvious/redundant question, but I was just wondering how the process of submitting letters of recommendation is when applying to dental schools? When I ask my professors to write one and they agree, do they have to upload it directly on to AADSAS, or would they give me a physical copy of the letter for me to submit myself?

Thank you!!
It's very easy once you log in and see it. You put their name and email into AADSAS and they'll get an email with directions how to submit.

Reactions: 1 user
Also be sure you have the correct letters, many schools want specific letters for example some schools may want 1 Dentist letter and 2 science, or 2 science and 1 english, etc. AADSAS only allows you to upload 4 letters but schools will let your letter writer email a letter directly to them once you have exceeded the limit, just be sure to notify them.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, get a committee letter if you can because that usually covers all your bases. I had a committee letter and only had one school where I had to submit an additional letter.

Ask early and get them submitted ASAP. In my experience, getting your application completed early is ESSENTIAL to getting early interviews and letters of recommendation are the biggest set back. Start months before the application opens. Can’t emphasize this enough

If you are applying next year or even this cycle. Consider setting up an interfolio account.
Through that website, you'll send an email to your professors and then your professor will receive the email, upload their evaluation and it will be stored there until you need them.
When you will need to use them, you'll upgrade your plan at interfolio, 48 dollars for 50 deliveries. and you only need 4 for addsas.

This way, you can always store letter of recommendation and you don't have to wait until June to send them an email to write the email.
and it will not go away, it stays there.
They used to have this system where you can save it for a year or 3 or 5 for a specific price, but now they changed their method. The letters stay there for a long time without charge, but in order to send them to schools or application, you need to upgrade and pay the $48 dollar.

Of course, the letter of recommendations will still be unavailable for you to read, as you request a confidential LOR unless you didn't.

Be aware that some professors will not write you a LOR even if they promised you they will so ask more than 5 professors if you can. You also need a letter of recommendation from a dentist for some schools.

Thanks so much everybody, really appreciate it! I plan on applying once the applications open this upcoming June 2018, so I'll definitely take everything into consideration.

Yeah, get a committee letter if you can because that usually covers all your bases. I had a committee letter and only had one school where I had to submit an additional letter.
Did you submit a letter from a dentist on top of the committee letter? My committee wants a letter from my dentist as well as a professor, then they write their letter.

Did you submit a letter from a dentist on top of the committee letter? My committee wants a letter from my dentist as well as a professor, then they write their letter.
Yes, I had to submit letters to the committee. I submitted 4 letters from professors, one from a volunteer coordinator, and one from a private dentist and the committee compiled the letter.
I also submitted a separate letter to AADSAS from my research adviser.

Yes, I had to submit letters to the committee. I submitted 4 letters from professors, one from a volunteer coordinator, and one from a private dentist and the committee compiled the letter.
I also submitted a separate letter to AADSAS from my research adviser.
I meant on the AADSAS, did you separately input a letter from a dentist? I already gave my committee the dentist's letter, but I was wondering if I had to submit that same dentist's letter to the AADSAS application.