Submitting and Program-Specific Custom Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

situational

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a quick question about submitting the application with program-specific custom questions still unanswered. I didn't run into this program last year, but this year I am several weeks behind on writing essays, and I have more to write as well because of re-applicant essays.

Is it possible to submit the application, and then when it is processing, to continue to finish the supplemental questions for each program? My main personal statement is done, but the submission of the entire application is delayed due to 1-2 custom essays remaining left to finish, and I would really not delay longer than I have to.

Members don't see this ad.

You must finish the supplemental essays before you esubmit. You can't edit them once you've pressed the magic button.

That's right, you won't be able to edit supplemental essays after you submit. One possible option would be to only designate the programs that you are ready to submit right now, and then go ahead and e-submit to start the processing. Then afterward you can designate additional programs and work on the supplemental essays for those programs while your application processes. Make sure to confirm with PTCAS that you could do this, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha I just asked this same question on here as well .I'm a little behind too but I should be done here soon. Let's get it!

I second what Okramango said. I did this last year as I spread out my supplemental essays. I e-submitted my app in early August with all of the schools that didn't have supplemental essays to get it processed early. I then added subsequent schools and would fill in their essays throughout September and October, then submitted again each time I finished a school. Unless policy has changed from last year, you can do this as many times as you want.