'Style' of actual Step 1 vs NBME vs UW/Qmax/Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daitong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering what the 'style' of questions of actual Step 1 questions is vs the major qbanks and NBMEs; I've heard that UW will tend to make you 'overthink' certain answers; while NBME's are much more vague but there isn't a trick to it. Some have even said Qmax's style is most realistic to the actual exam.

I would hate to miss point on the easy stuff, so could you guys enlighten me on the difficulty/wording of the real step?

Thank in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

4 blocks (like half of them) were nothing like anything I've been through , way more images while the clues in the question stem are not enough to figure the case out -unlike uworld- even the obvious questions I'm used to had twisted answers . The remaining 3 were mostly familiar , in my opinion the the real test is a step beyond the nbmes or even uworld. however a friend of mine told me that his exam was like 30 direct questions ,7 fairly hard and 3 he totally had no idea even how to think it out. We both took it in the past 2 weeks and waiting for results

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Seeing as 70% correct on UWorld corresponds to like 90% correct on NBMEs, I'm assuming UWorld contains a higher proportion of difficult questions.

I had an average of 80% but still Compared to my test , it was the hardest thing I've been through. I'm still waiting for my result though.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk