Stupid question about pathway to neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undecided1995

Reaction score
I hope all is well with everyone. I had a question that some may find as stupid.

Is there a pathway to neurosurgery through a general surgery residency?

Members don't see this ad.

no the only way is through NS residency, and not a dumb question at all.

Reactions: 2 users
No. Not a stupid question though. In the recent past neurosurgery residents did a prelim gen surg year, but now all programs are 7 years integrated.

On very rare occasions prelim gen surg interns can land a PGY2 neurosurgery spot. I can't think of anyone I know who did that. I do know many people who didn't match, did a gen surg prelim year, and then matched to a neurosurgery program and started PGY1 over again.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Not a stupid question though. In the recent past neurosurgery residents did a prelim gen surg year, but now all programs are 7 years integrated.

On very rare occasions prelim gen surg interns can land a PGY2 neurosurgery spot. I can't think of anyone I know who did that. I do know many people who didn't match, did a gen surg prelim year, and then matched to a neurosurgery program and started PGY1 over again.
If you are in this position where you were aiming for NSGY but didn't match, can you take a research year and then apply again?

Reactions: 1 user
If you are in this position where you were aiming for NSGY but didn't match, can you take a research year and then apply again?
Yes. I believe some people end up delaying their med school graduation to take a research year and reapply with US senior status in the match. Some people I'm sure graduate and do a research year at another institution.

Reactions: 1 user