Studying Overseas - Caribbean vs. Ireland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starstrike

Goldmember
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've posted this thread in the Caribbean subforum of SDN - I figure I may as well also try posting here to see if I get some responses providing more information about Ireland. Other users have also gently pointed me towards the UK...I'm currently reading into this as well, though if anybody has some insight on this that would be greatly appreciated.

After three unsuccessful applications with Canadian schools, I am seriously studying internationally to pursue medicine. I have applied to the US, Caribbean, and Ireland so far this year. I am not holding my breath for the US (have yet to year anything positive, so I doubt I will hear anything this late in the game).

I am honoured to have received offers from SGU in Grenada and Ross so far in Dominica. I am waiting on hearing back from the Atlantic Bridge about Ireland. What my question to you all here is, how do you choose between Ireland and the Caribbean?

It seems SGU is basically the best of the Caribbean schools, while RCSI and UCD are one of the best in Ireland. What are the pros/cons of each? Is it better to go to SGU because the clerkship years are conducted in the US/Canada? (whereas in Ireland all 4 years are in Dublin/Limerick/Cork).

I would really appreciate any thoughts or input that any of you may have!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You still never PM'd me lol, SGU for better and easier connections in the US than ireland. But you should try for US based schools first and see if you can get into a USDO school or not.

You still never PM'd me lol, SGU for better and easier connections in the US than ireland. But you should try for US based schools first and see if you can get into a USDO school or not.

Revenge of the international forum-lurking osteopathic student

Members don't see this ad :)
Revenge of the international forum-lurking osteopathic student
Not at all, I am set to start at an Osteopathic school in the US, should i not get into my province's MD school post-interview.

DO isn't very well known in Canada, which is a shame, since it is a much safer and viable option for Canadians than foreign schools. In my opinion. Just wanting to raise awareness, that is all.

Reactions: 1 user
Not at all, I am set to start at an Osteopathic school in the US, should i not get into my province's MD school post-interview.

DO isn't very well known in Canada, which is a shame, since it is a much safer and viable option for Canadians than foreign schools. In my opinion. Just wanting to raise awareness, that is all.

Raise awareness? You all should raise awareness to your lawmakers and/or educational systems. Most Canadian students I've seen going abroad are overqualified to be forced into doing so.

Also, US students pay tuition, unlike Australian and Irish students; you should also consider that going to an osteopathic school would most likely prevent a US student from pursuing a primary care specialty. After, you'd probably flee back up North, too. That's lame.

Last edited:
Raise awareness? You all should raise awareness to your lawmakers and/or educational systems. Most Canadian students I've seen going abroad are overqualified to be forced into doing so.

Also, US students pay tuition, unlike Australian and Irish students; you should also consider that going to an osteopathic school would most likely prevent a US student from pursuing a primary care specialty. After, you'd probably flee back up North, too. That's lame.
Supply and demand. There isn't enough medical Seats in Canada for all the highly qualified students, hence why them being overqualified shouldn't go abroad and focus on the U.S.

Additionally, private medical schools, have no obligation to take domestic students if they are approved to take internationals by the DOD. That said most still only take a handful of internationals. And yes many would eventually come back to Canada, but many stay as well to work and settle down. No different than US doctors moving to canadian academic centres like vancouver, Toronto ect.

Not sure what you mean about the tuition party of your comment?

If you have an Italian/Irish grandparent, you can get EU citizenship and work in Ireland if you go to school there. It really sucks to be jobless after medical school.

Canadians graduating from SGU have only a 40% match rate in the USA and it's even lower in Canada.

If you have an Italian/Irish grandparent, you can get EU citizenship and work in Ireland if you go to school there. It really sucks to be jobless after medical school.

Canadians graduating from SGU have only a 40% match rate in the USA and it's even lower in Canada.

Definitely not a 40% match rate much higher than that. Canadians as a group tend to do better than Americans because they usually are more qualified than the Americans who go to SGU. The visa is a small hurdle but the match rate is much more than 40% for those who graduate most likely 80%.