Studying medicine in Hong Kong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingLui

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So here is my case, please take some time to hear me out. I have recently been admitted to an osteopathic medical school in California, US. However, I intend the go back to Hong Kong to study medicine instead. I was born in Hong Kong, and I speak fluent Cantonese. I obtained a B.S degree in Kinesiology.

What are my chances for getting into a medical school in Hong Kong? Does a B.S degree mean anything to HK's medical schools? Or so I have to start from the undergrad 5 year program?

Feel free to post any relevant information on here, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

So here is my case, please take some time to hear me out. I have recently been admitted to an osteopathic medical school in California, US. However, I intend the go back to Hong Kong to study medicine instead. I was born in Hong Kong, and I speak fluent Cantonese. I obtained a B.S degree in Kinesiology.

What are my chances for getting into a medical school in Hong Kong? Does a B.S degree mean anything to HK's medical schools? Or so I have to start from the undergrad 5 year program?

First you didn't say what made you decide to forgo the opportunity to study medicine in the US-

I still think having a US DO degree is superior than having a foreign MD or MBBS if you want to come back to the US to practice medicine one day (I'm assuming you completed your undergraduate work in the US). There will be a lot of hurdles to jump over when you want to come back and it will be getting more and more difficult for you to get a residency spot especially with the increase in the number of US medical schools and students.

People do things for various reasons. But if you've decided to go back even after your DO acceptance in Calif, then go for it.

Hi guys,

hey buddy,

First, I would like to congratulate your acceptance to Western U or Touro-CA. I currently reside in CA and am accepted to PCOM and will be class of 2013. Likewise, I was born in Hong Kong and speak fluent cantonese. You are already accepted and will be entering medical school here in the States. Why do you still want to get into medical school in Hong Kong? If your intention is to practice in Hong Kong, holding a D.O. degree will not hinder you from practicing freely in Hong Kong as long as you pass their license exam, which is what I also intend to do in the future.

There's no reason why you want to spend another 1 or 2 year wasting your time to get into med school in hong Kong when you are already accepted to one in the States. Unless you have a stellar academic record, it would be a waste of time to reapply for med school at HKU without a guarantee of acceptance.

As you know, getting accepted to osteopathic school is no difference to any other medical school and it is just as competitive and selective in their admission process.

I have a friend who held a BS degree in Biochemistry and apply to med school in Hong Kong. He told me that they require an absolutely stellar GPA (>3.8) and MCAT (I ain't sure about this one). The B.S. degree that you are holding is simply equivalent to the A-level. As you know, the spot for med school (only 2) in Hong Kong is already very limited and will be mostly reserved to those genius in Hong Kong. Thus, the chance for foreign students are very slim. And yes, if you were accepted, you will need to undergo the 5 year undergraduate program in HKU(i.e.) because medical students in hong kong follow the UK system and obtain a bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.). (I rather take D.O., afterall, it's a DOCTOR of Osteopathy...:cool:)

Anywayz, I wish you all the best and good luck in medical school.