Studying Medicine in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

84meddreamer84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks, I appreciate your help on this

I am a US citizen, graduated last year with a B.A in biology. My GPA is 3.78. My MCAT is 19N.

I applied to American medical schools, DO schools and the top 3 schools in the Caribbeans (SGU, AUC and Saba). I got rejected from all because of My MCAT scores I believe. Even though I have hospital experience, volunteer, research and teacher assistance.

Where should I apply in Canada so I get accepted, and the I can come back later and practice medicine in the US? Any good schools that don't put a lot of emphasis on MCAT scores and prepare you for the USMLE as well? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

The only English-language school that doesn't look at MCAT and where you'd be reasonably competitive would be McMaster. They don't consider MCAT scores at all. However, they are very focused on grades, but with a 3.8, you should be fine. Problem is, I know they USED to take international students, but they might not do it anymore. I would go take a look at their website and maybe e-mail to clarify things. It's also a 3-yr program, so somewhat unusual (no summer breaks).

Members don't see this ad :)
Memorial University of Newfoundland takes about 1-2 americans per year and does not put a lot of emphasis on MCAT scores...Its a good school, but a long haul from the US for sure. You won't have a problem getting back into the US from any canadian school.

Memorial University of Newfoundland takes about 1-2 americans per year and does not put a lot of emphasis on MCAT scores...Its a good school, but a long haul from the US for sure. You won't have a problem getting back into the US from any canadian school.

I wouldn't say that MUN is noncompetitive when it comes to MCATs for its international students having been one.

I wouldn't say that MUN is non-competitive with their MCAT scores...but certainly they put less emphasis on it than some Canadian schools do. I'm sure the same can be said for MacMaster...regardless getting in with a 19 will prove a challenge at either school without some other aspects of your appliction being stellar.

Are you thinking about taking the MCAT again?

Most of the MUN international crowd (at least when I was there) averaged low 30's on MCAT, this was a handful of years ago or so...

I am a US citizen, graduated last year with a B.A in biology. My GPA is 3.78. My MCAT is 19N.

I applied to American medical schools, DO schools and the top 3 schools in the Caribbeans (SGU, AUC and Saba). I got rejected from all because of My MCAT scores I believe. Even though I have hospital experience, volunteer, research and teacher assistance.

Where should I apply in Canada so I get accepted, and the I can come back later and practice medicine in the US? Any good schools that don't put a lot of emphasis on MCAT scores and prepare you for the USMLE as well? Please help!

With a 19, I'm sorry to say but you stand no chance at all. You should re-do it.

With a 19, I'm sorry to say but you stand no chance at all. You should re-do it.

Seconded. While I understand that sometimes it may be worth applying "because you never know", even if you were a Canadian, you'd have a lot of trouble getting in somewhere with a 19 on the MCAT. As an American, you have very few available seats in the schools here available to you, and a 19 will very likely exclude you from them. With such a great GPA, why not focus your energies on retaking the MCAT?

It seems like the best option would be to retake the MCAT.

First of all, Canada does not take International students...
Secondly, there are enough applicants in Canada with real good applications
Thirdly, if an applicant was rejected from Saba, AUC or the SGU, they wont make it in Canada either.

First of all, Canada does not take International students...
Secondly, there are enough applicants in Canada with real good applications
Thirdly, if an applicant was rejected from Saba, AUC or the SGU, they wont make it in Canada either.

Since when did Canadian schools stop taking international students? I mean, really?

For the kid who wants to try and get in a Canadian school: come and join us - and leave the States forever...

Since when did Canadian schools stop taking international students? I mean, really?

For the kid who wants to try and get in a Canadian school: come and join us - and leave the States forever...

Yes really..
5 of my good friends from Europe applied for Dentistry, Medicine and even Pharmacy and the answer they all got in their e-mails was the same.
Why don't you check out the university websites (UBC, UofT, Queen's, MacGill, etc). The very requirement for your application to be looked at is holding a Canadian citizenship or a valid PR status.

Yes really..
5 of my good friends from Europe applied for Dentistry, Medicine and even Pharmacy and the answer they all got in their e-mails was the same.
Why don't you check out the university websites (UBC, UofT, Queen's, MacGill, etc). The very requirement for your application to be looked at is holding a Canadian citizenship or a valid PR status.

Well, if you do as you said (check out the university websites), you'll find that a number of schools do accept international applicants, namely UofT, McMaster, McGill, Dalhousie, and Memorial. I know because I applied, interviewed, and ultimately was accepted at 1 Canadian school.

Well, if you do as you said (check out the university websites), you'll find that a number of schools do accept international applicants, namely UofT, McMaster, McGill, Dalhousie, and Memorial. I know because I applied, interviewed, and ultimately was accepted at 1 Canadian school.
This is true for all of the above, except McMaster.

I just spoke with the admissions dean at McMaster and I asked if they consider non-Ontario residents....she said they do. 10% of their class last year (17 people) were non-Ontario residents. However, I'm not sure how many of those were from countries other than Canada.

Retake your MCAT.

Getting into a Canadian school is harder than it in the States (75% turned away, versus 50% in the US). If you didn't have the marks for the Caribbean, you don't have a snowball's chance in hell up here without redoing your MCAT.