Studying in HK, Practicing in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thailek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I am currently an undergraduate student in the USA, and I am looking at attending the University of Hong Kong for my medical studies. I am actually considering entering the program as an undergrad in the MBBS program and then working through the 5 years and graduating.

My question is: Will I be able to practice medicine in the USA after graduation, permitting I am accepted into a internship program in the USA?

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!

-Thailek

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. But you may be cut off from certain residencies because of the high level of competition within those residencies. You will have to convince a program to accept you over a student who attended medical school in the US. The AAMC releases reports summarizing results of the match process. I suggest you take a look to gauge how well international medical graduates fare in the match for those residencies.

Are u applying to hku this year? i have just finished my biochemistry degree at a london-based university in UK, and hope to apply to HKU as a graduate. i don't mind too much where i practice as i don't mind the lifestyle of hk or uk as i have spent considerate time in both countries.