Studying for the MCAT during the pandemic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimu_neko

Reaction score
Hi friends,

I need your help! So I’m aiming to take the MCAT exam by next spring by May-June 2022. I recently graduated and will be doing a formal post-baccalaureate program this coming year. I won’t be working AT ALL. I really want to ace all my postbac courses, and dedicate as much time studying for the MCAT.

With the pandemic going on, however, I’m undecided if I should stay living in a single (with a monthly rent of ~$1200) or double (with a monthly rent of ~$600). Has anyone been able to study efficiently for the MCAT while living with a roommate? This is my main concern.

I’m tempted to live in a single but that would mean taking out a whole chunk of loans. I normally study outside at the libraries, cafes, and other campus spaces, but with this pandemic going on, I have no choice but to force myself to study at home. It’s so frustrating with the uncertainty of the whole pandemic situation. :(

If you have/haven’t taken the MCAT, I’d appreciate your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean if you have your own room, then I’d say go for the double. Try noise cancelling earphones too (Sennheiser). It’s an investment that will go a long way.

I live with a roommate now and don't have any issue studying in medical school. I'd also suspect that libraries will be open by the time you begin studying for your MCAT. If your only concern with having a roommate is a potential to hinder your studying, then I'd say save the money and just get a roommate.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors