studying for step 2Ck for an IMG-need help with sources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Major procrastinator

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished step 1 last week and want to start CK studying now while step 1 info is fresh.

I have 7 weeks to pass an NBME (school requirement) and then a month to maximize my score.

I was thinking of buying Fischer's MTB videos via med quest and use his MTB book for CK and do uworld subject wise. I dont want to use a ton of sources like step 1.

do i need to do kaplan videos or kaplan books at all?
should i buy MTB step 3? maybe read it after passing an nbme

i have never used online MedEd but i hear good things.

I finished rotations 1 year ago, never had any shelf exams and only used MTB for reviewing during rotations.

I was thinking of reading MTB CK then watching corresponding video by fischer and then reading MTB again and doing uworld block that relates to what i'm doing. any suggestions? can i do well with this kind of prep?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I just started studying for Step 2 as well. I'm using OnlineMedEd with UWorld. It's awesome! The videos are free, to boot. I bought the $40 monthly subscription tho. Definitely cheaper than Conrad Fischer, plus it comes with notes, questions, and a reviewer.... I love it. It's made answering questions in Uworld so much easier.

Hi! I just started studying for Step 2 as well. I'm using OnlineMedEd with UWorld. It's awesome! The videos are free, to boot. I bought the $40 monthly subscription tho. Definitely cheaper than Conrad Fischer, plus it comes with notes, questions, and a reviewer.... I love it. It's made answering questions in Uworld so much easier.
thanks so much for the info!
i just watched some videos and they are awesome.
do you think kaplan is needed? it seems too long and detailed.

thanks so much for the info!
i just watched some videos and they are awesome.
do you think kaplan is needed? it seems too long and detailed.

I skimmed through it, it's quite long. Like you said, we're still fresh from taking Step 1. I don't think we need that level of detail. Kaplan books are good, but geared toward those who need a return to basics, plus their length requires more of a time commitment. Reading through them all would take at least a month. Personally, it's more fun to watch videos + answer questions than to passively read the books. One good thing about OnlineMedEd is that he teaches you how to answer step 2 questions ("this is never the right answer," "this is what you do first.") It's not complete, but Uworld fills in the gaps. That said, I'm only a few weeks into my studying. I'm planning on taking some Clinical Mastery Tests after finishing IM to see if this method is working.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I skimmed through it, it's quite long. Like you said, we're still fresh from taking Step 1. I don't think we need that level of detail. Kaplan books are good, but geared toward those who need a return to basics, plus their length requires more of a time commitment. Reading through them all would take at least a month. Personally, it's more fun to watch videos + answer questions than to passively read the books. One good thing about OnlineMedEd is that he teaches you how to answer step 2 questions ("this is never the right answer," "this is what you do first.") It's not complete, but Uworld fills in the gaps. That said, I'm only a few weeks into my studying. I'm planning on taking some Clinical Mastery Tests after finishing IM to see if this method is working.
I definitey agree with you that kaplan is more for people going back to basics. I just started studying and hit 65% on a block which was suprising. Everything just goes so smooth with step 1 in mind, we just have to add on the treatments and tests. no need to go learn micro and pharm side effects. i just hope the info doesnt dissapear .
im doing edmed with uworld with MTB and fischers new videos. im gonna do nbme shelves after internal and see if my plan is working.

i wish you great strength in your studies!!

I'm in similar situation like you but the only thing I care about is to get the highest score possible, I have all the time I need and don't mind using as many resources as I could, so do you think adding up step up to medicine will help? Maybe a separate book for each subject ?

I'm in similar situation like you but the only thing I care about is to get the highest score possible, I have all the time I need and don't mind using as many resources as I could, so do you think adding up step up to medicine will help? Maybe a separate book for each subject ?
i dont think its about quanity of material but rather quality. ive spent the past week researching just to make sure i dont waste time and get the best lectures and HY info to maximize your score. if your like us and just did step 1. MTB2 with online meded videos and uworld seems good. better to completely master these sources then do 20 things just for the hell of it

I've taken my exam in the end of dec but the thing is I have a very busy year at my school and I won't be able to have any dedicated time except from nov on, so I was planing to take step 2 in the beginning of 2018 and was looking for any extra resources ( the big ones) I may not be able to read in my dedicated time to go through them now as I can save 2-3 hours a day for the boards so that when the time comes I find the road paved for me to get a 260+ .

I've taken my exam in the end of dec but the thing is I have a very busy year at my school and I won't be able to have any dedicated time except from nov on, so I was planing to take step 2 in the beginning of 2018 and was looking for any extra resources ( the big ones) I may not be able to read in my dedicated time to go through them now as I can save 2-3 hours a day for the boards so that when the time comes I find the road paved for me to get a 260+ .
my friend did step 2 ck recently. he swears by MTB, Online meded and uworld. online edmed is really good as a resource i dont know know what other big reaource