Studying for GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheHillCrew

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What book(s) do you recommend to study for the GRE? There are a ton of books out there, which do you recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone study for the GRE?? I posted this 5 days ago and have gotten no response.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you grue1some...i appreciate it, if anyone has any more info i would appreciate it.

I took it over 12 years ago...I don't think I'd be too much help. ;)

TheHillCrew,

When are you taking the GRE?

I had 3-4 months to study, and used 4 books - princeton, kaplan, barron's, and GRE for dummies. I didn't purchase one of those books, just borrowed from friends/library. Each had a CD with practice tests, which were all slightly different in content, but kaplan had a nicely structured study program, breaking down each section of the test into separate activities. Plus, kaplan has a timeline, and other tips as well.

To pick one book, I'd say kaplan, but you might be able to find it, or other GRE prep books at your library. Just something to check out.

The kaplan "hit parade" is helpful for daily vocab practice, and the math is broken down into helpful strategies.

Oh yeah, princeton review has a nice website with practice tests and feedback available online.

What helped me the most was taking those practice tests, including the GRE software on the ETS website (makers of the test). My scores started low, 900, then jumped up to the 1300 range consistently. In the end, my first, and only attempt resulted in a 1200.

Also, practice those essays, TIMED. I was out of practice writing anything, and should have devoted more time preparing for that section (called analytical). It was challenging in the limited time available. Got a 4, so not too great.

Hope this helps.
Good luck to you,
J

I teach GRE courses for Kaplan, so of course I'm a little biased towards their methods/materials. :)

If you decide to use a Kaplan book, I'd recommend purchasing a new one (unless you can happen to get your hands on a used/borrowed copy of the most recent edition). They make updates every year according to any changes that are coming up on future tests. If you use an older book, then you won't have the benefit of those updates.

I took the GRE 3 weeks ago and made a 1260 on it with one full week of study. I used Kaplan and GRE for dummies. I read straight through GRE For Dummies and it helped a lot, then used Kaplan to delve deeper into study and take the practice tests. To be honest, I never sat down and did an entire practice test from start to finish, just in sections by which section I was studying at the time. I think it helped, but I'm not necessarily telling you to do that.. different things work for different people. 1260 isn't an amazing score, but the average GRE score of the last accepted class in my school's DPT program was a 1050 so thats a couple hundred points higher than average of those who got in, so I'm happy with it. It's too terrible of a test to take over again. The GRE is supposedly changing in September though, so you may want to wait to buy study material until then. I used the 2006 version of Kaplan.

I'm a fan of Princeton Review (PR) and Kaplan. The 2 things I found most helpful for the vocabulary on the verbal section was PR's Wordsmart for the GRE and Kaplan's vocabulary flashcards (set of 500). I also used a GRE math workbook by Kaplan for extra math practice, and, for the test overall the latest GRE prep book by PR. I also did one of the practice tests through ETS's powerprep software. On the real test I ended up with a 1340 (610V, 730Q, haven't got the writing score yet). Good luck!

i work for kaplan too. I can honestly say their practice exams are the best. I took every practice exam they offered with their book, and it raised my score 500 points, no joke! key here is just practice practice practice and you'll be fine!

I took it 7 years ago...I think they eliminated the analytical portion, but I did not study and scored a 1970/2400...it is like taking the SAT's again minus the analytical part I hear these days...

My school only required that you take the GRE, they didn't actually care how we did so I'm not much help either!

I had a couple of different books for verbal help and then I did the PR online express prep thing which was about a 3-4 week course up till the day I took the exam which helped a lot because it helped me get used to the test being on the computer.