Studying for DAT as a full time student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekoorbnadroj

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to find some comfort from all of you here at SDN. I'm currently entering my 3rd year of my spring semester at my undergrad university. My plan prior to entering my 3rd year of school this past September was to take the DAT in February/March of 2018 and prepare all of my AADSAS application materials prior to June 1st, 2018.
This past fall semester was extremely difficult for me in terms of allocating time for all of my classes (I took 16 credits), and my curriculum is very set-in-stone in that I can't exactly pick and choose which classes/how many credits I want to take in a semester. I'm worried that this semester will be just as hard - if not harder - than this past semester, and I'm afraid of not having enough hours in the day to properly study for the DAT, as well as get enough sleep, eat, work out, all of the necessities to staying healthy.
Basically, I'm stressing myself out before I've even begun studying for the DAT because my plan/schedule is not set-in-stone anymore. I should also mention that my degree requires that I take summer courses (I'll be taking around 10 credits in summer 2018). I'm hoping some of you have experienced this before and would be kind enough to offer some insight as to the best solution for this.

Thanks so much! I appreciate any/all feedback that I can get, and happy new year!
Jordan

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, I want you to know that it's possible to take the DAT during a full time semester and do well in both your classes and your exam. I took my exam during the spring trimester yr while taking biochemistry, physiology, and physics II (12 credit hours). you have to make a solid plan and follow it. if you don't mind me asking, what classes did you take last semester and which classes are you taking in the spring?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a predental/dental hygiene program, so my fall semester classes (16 credits) were:
- Dental Anatomy/Embryology
- Head/Neck Anatomy
- Process of Care
- Pre-Clinical Lab
- Dental Radiology + lab
- Dental Materials + lab

This spring semester (15 credits) my classes are:
- Process of Care II
- Clinic I Lab
- Periodontology
- Pathology
- Pain Management + lab

I've already taken all the prerequisites (biology, gen chem, organic chem, anatomy, physics, biochemistry) in my previous years. It's encouraging to know that you've been in the same boat as well!!

I'm not familiar with how difficult these classes are but I assume that they are intense. If you did really well in the pre requisits, then I think you should have a solid background. The key in your situation is to study effectively. I don't think you'll have lots of time on your hands during this upcoming semester, so I would dedicate 4-6 hours a day for the DAT and I think you should be fine!

Reactions: 1 user