studying for april '05 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longshot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i plan on buying the big kaplan MCAT review book since it seemed more thorough as far as information. hopefully my college texts will supplement it for any other extra information which i may need.

is there a place where i can get practice tests? i'm sure practicing is the key to these exams so i hope to get enough to practice with for the next several months.

also, i'm wondering what other study aids have been useful to any of you guys in preparing for The Big Test. i hear some good stuff about examkrackers(what is that by the way?).

Members don't see this ad.

longshot said:
i plan on buying the big kaplan MCAT review book since it seemed more thorough as far as information. hopefully my college texts will supplement it for any other extra information which i may need.

is there a place where i can get practice tests? i'm sure practicing is the key to these exams so i hope to get enough to practice with for the next several months.

also, i'm wondering what other study aids have been useful to any of you guys in preparing for The Big Test. i hear some good stuff about examkrackers(what is that by the way?).

For practice tests go to www.AAMC.org they sell their own practice tests.

Just a hint for you and everyone else hoping to take the MCAT:
Check your local public library for MCAT review books; my local library had several MCAT 2004 review books about 2 months before the test. This way you don't have to waste money to purchase the books (the practice tests inside are worthless after you take them once and most of the review info can be found in you course texts).

The only practice tests I would considder buying are those available through the MCAT website; they seemed to be most similar to the actual MCAT.

Since you're starting now I highly recommend printing up AAMC's list of things that will be on the MCAT and then going through them one by one using your textbook, friends, and professors. The Kaplan book isn't the best way to study, but I used it. I used the book merely as a guide and heavily supplemented areas I found to be difficult with reading from my textbook. Although this worked, I think I would have gotten more out of studying during the summer prior and simply using the AAMC guide instead of Kaplan.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are planning on getting books or practice tests for the MCAT dont buy them from AAMC, amazon, bookstore etc. just go to ebay or to this sites sale forum, you save soooo much money.

I thought the Princeton Review books and exams were better than the Kaplan ones.

--Vinoy

I'm taking the April '05 MCAT as well but am primarily going to review with EK materials since they require the least amount of memorization (but the assume that your undergrad foundation is strong). For practice exams I'm starting a collection--I'm going to use as many exams from 'reputable' sources as possible--AAMC, EK, TPR, Kaplan and perhaps even Berkeley Review and Columbia Review. I havent seen any of their materials yet, but as long as it covers MCAT material in a format that resembles the AAMC stuff, I'll use it.

My study schedule is to get all of my review done by the end of the year, and spend the Spring '05 semester taking nothing but full-length practice tests and review passages.

PS As for practice items, dont just focus on full-length tests. Kaplan and TPR offer a pretty (from my perspective) useless review course, but as part of the course, students get a wealth of practice passages in several review books. I suggest you try to find some former students of these program and buy their course materials used.

i'll be sure to check up on that AAMC list and ebay for materials. also, compiling tests sounds like a GREAT idea. i need to get up on that myself. i suppose i should start by reviewing and then taking a practice test for this month or something...