Studying abroad the fall of applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelarson

MSU Pre-Vet Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering studying abroad for the fall semester of my final year of undergrad. Would this be a problem considering that is when applications are due? I was planning on finishing mine by the end of August and just submitting it before I leave.

Members don't see this ad.

i think that so long as your pre-reqs are done, and you can guarantee that your LORs will be submitted on time without you in the country, go for it! make sure it gets on your app too, adcoms will most likely love it.

Go ahead and go abroad. Just make sure your schools know that you are out of the country and make sure you will have access to phone/e-mail so that you can make sure you can be contacted if something goes awry or you get an early invite to interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you say an early invite to interview, do you mean just early notification of an interview in Jan/Feb/March, or an interview before this time? The program I am planning to be on is Semester at Sea, which is a ship that circumnavigates the globe, so getting home early would be a bit of a challenge...

A few schools do at least some interviews very early (I think ohio started in November last year and other schools have interview is december). As far as that goes I would just list maybe in the additional info section that you are doing semester at sea and will be unavailable from August 1st until December 20th or whatever the dates are. If you tell the schools your not around they can schedule your interview for second semester.