Study materials: Is Kaplan alone enough?

InHarmsWay

Reaction score
Hello.

I am looking to take the OAT. However, there are a few study options available, which includes the always-utilized Kaplan program.

I have heard some good and bad things about it, but I was wondering whether I can just use Kaplan materials to do well on the OAT.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan is great for a birds eye view for what's going being to be tested. But I think if you do Chad's Videos and DAT Bootcamp material and enough practice problem and practice exams you'll be golden. Kaplan in my opinion wasn't as in depth for the Biology section. Chad's videos are what really gave me the best TS score possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Kaplan is great for a birds eye view for what's going being to be tested. But I think if you do Chad's Videos and DAT Bootcamp material and enough practice problem and practice exams you'll be golden. Kaplan in my opinion wasn't as in depth for the Biology section. Chad's videos are what really gave me the best TS score possible.

DAT Bootcamp? I did recall that the OAT is produced by the same company that does the DAT...

How about MCAT prep stuff? I have some old Examkrakers books. I'm mainly looking for test prep material so I can study to the test. I recall that the information needed for the OAT is pretty blatant and not-twisty in terms of how they ask questions.

For example, the MCAT likes to phrase everything in very verbose and complicated passages that require Olympics gymnastics to move through. I heard that the OAT is more straightforward, so I'm mostly looking at resources to test myself toward how the OAT would test.

DAT Bootcamp? I did recall that the OAT is produced by the same company that does the DAT...

How about MCAT prep stuff? I have some old Examkrakers books. I'm mainly looking for test prep material so I can study to the test. I recall that the information needed for the OAT is pretty blatant and not-twisty in terms of how they ask questions.

For example, the MCAT likes to phrase everything in very verbose and complicated passages that require Olympics gymnastics to move through. I heard that the OAT is more straightforward, so I'm mostly looking at resources to test myself toward how the OAT would test.
DAT bootcamp just has more resources/materials to work with that has prep material that is representative to the OAT also.
And that is true. The questions on the OAT is much straight forward than the MCAT. I would probably advise to stick with a OAT kaplan book (with practice tests) and DAT bootcamp because the practice problems and practice tests will just give you a more accurate feel of the OAT exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
DAT bootcamp just has more resources/materials to work with that has prep material that is representative to the OAT also.
And that is true. The questions on the OAT is much straight forward than the MCAT. I would probably advise to stick with a OAT kaplan book (with practice tests) and DAT bootcamp because the practice problems and practice tests will just give you a more accurate feel of the OAT exam.

Thank you so much for responding. How many practice exams did you take? How did you divide your time between OAT Kaplan material and DAT bootcamp material?

Thank you so much for responding. How many practice exams did you take? How did you divide your time between OAT Kaplan material and DAT bootcamp material?
Took two full length practice exams (timed) from Kaplan during the week before my OAT exam. Did a lot of practice tests and problems for each subject and timed it. I divided my studying time by dedicating a certain amount of weeks studying one subject. During those weeks I just jump back and forth between Kaplan and DAT bootcamp material just to learn and practice more because both approach things differently.

Are Chads Biology videos on course savor enough to study for the Bio section of the OAT? Or would I need additional study material/methods to nail this section?

Are Chads Biology videos on course savor enough to study for the Bio section of the OAT? Or would I need additional study material/methods to nail this section?
For me I didn't utilize his Biology videos because I took many Bio classes during undergrad that encompasses many of the topics that is covered on the OAT so I don't have feedback on Chad's bio videos. The biology section can be a tricky section to try to nail down because on the OAT many random aspects of biology can be asked. I've heard many use the Biology notes off DAT bootcamp and the ORGOMAN's Biology notes also. You want to try to learn as much as possible for the Biology section, even beyond the scope of what's covered in the Kaplan books. For me, youtube was my best friend for learning many of the concepts covered on the Bio section. Make flashcards for yourself to really nail down many of the terms.

Hello.

I am looking to take the OAT. However, there are a few study options available, which includes the always-utilized Kaplan program.

I have heard some good and bad things about it, but I was wondering whether I can just use Kaplan materials to do well on the OAT.

Thanks.
I used the Kaplan self-paced course. It was super helpful since I took the exam a month after I started studying. Spent a day reviewing each lesson followed by supplemental material and questions from different sites and books. I actually used MCAT books to help me review for more deeper concepts in bio, chem, and organic chem. I came out with 330TS/330AA. If I had more than a month I probably would have done better, so definitely give yourself 3 months to prepare and properly study. Treat it like a job. 40hrs a week.