Study Guide for GMAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DigableCat

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on what would be a good review book for the GMAT. I'm still in residency, and can't spend 8-10 hrs/day for 2 months studying for that test...I just don't have the time. I'd hate to think that I'd get X'ed out of the applicant pool for crappy scores. It's like MCAT anxiety all over again. :eek:

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

DigableCat said:
Any suggestions on what would be a good review book for the GMAT. I'm still in residency, and can't spend 8-10 hrs/day for 2 months studying for that test...I just don't have the time. I'd hate to think that I'd get X'ed out of the applicant pool for crappy scores. It's like MCAT anxiety all over again. :eek:

Thanks.

The GMAT is much easier than most testing you've ever done. Here's an excerpt from MD-MBA.org:
http://md-mba.org/applying.html#D
GMAT prep advice for the medical student at heart
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MW Writes:
The good news is, if you are a medical student, chances are that you are going to do well on the GMAT. You have taken so many standardized tests by this point that taking the GMAT is yet another exam. The exam is broken down into one math section (37 questions), one verbal session (41 questions) and two 30-minute essays which are scored separately than the math and verbal sections.

Scoring: Your score is based upon the math and verbal sections and it ranges from 200 to 800. If you want to think of like the MCAT, scoring a 600 on the GMAT is like getting a 28 on the MCAT. Scoring a 700 on the GMAT would be comparable to a 33 or a 34. The writing section is scored separately and frequently not viewed as important. Although, if you let your score get too low, it may raise questions about your application, especially if you are not a native English speaker.

Cost: As of May 2004, the GMAT costs $225 and you should register for it as soon as you know you want to take it. That way you can get the time and location you desire to take the exam. Fortunately, unlike the USMLE (?Boards?), you can take this test at any time of the year and at most times of the day. To register, go to www.mba.com

Studying: Again, the good thing is that you probably have taken so many standardized tests by this point, you know what your strengths and weaknesses are. If you a verbal powerhouse, focus more on your math and vice versa. I have heard that most business schools care more about your math score, but you need both for a good overall score. Good books include ?The Official Guide for GMAT Review? put out by ETS. This book has more than 1,400 questions and is good for a general overall review. Use a book like this to understand the basic question types you will see and to understand how the test is set up. Since most GMAT takers have good math skills, you will probably find it more difficult to obtain a high score in the math section. A good book to focus on your math skills is Kaplan book called ?GMAT 800? which focuses on the toughest math problems. Also, since the GMAT is a computer-based test, it might be a good idea to get the Kaplan CD-ROM to familiarize yourself with the format.

Try to do as many questions as you can. This is always a good strategy for taking multiple choice tests. In addition, this will get you more comfortable with the testing situation. Try to do at least two sample tests in which you simulate the testing conditions. Use a computer so you are used to staring at a computer screen for a long time.

For the writing section, find a template that works well for you for your essays and memorize it. Try to write as much as you possibly can because the scorers are frequently looking for length rather than substance. Besides, scorers only have approximately 1-2 minutes to read your entire essay. They are looking more for structure rather than content. Besides, the essay section should not be your main focus unless you have serious writing problems or you English is not your first language.

As for amount of time studying, that really depends upon what type of student you are. I personally took a month to study for it while I was on the wards but I?ve heard of other students taking only a week. But then again, they had the chance to focus solely on the GMAT whereas I had other responsibilities. It all depends totally upon your studying patterns and how you learn best.

JM Writes:
I studied for the GMAT for 4 hours/day for two weeks. I did only the Kaplan CD-ROM and used some of their supplemental math materials, which I thought were great. The good thing about the GMAT is, you can take it multiple times and only show the school the best score (unlike the MCAT). So schedule early, just in case.

Hey mward04, I sent you a PM.

I'm a third year premed and solely worried about the MCAT in April. When should I schedule the GMAT? It seems overwhelming to have to apply not only to medical schools but also business schools. How much extra percentage of time and effort am I looking at in the apps process compared to traditional premeds? Isn't getting into one top notch school difficult enough? I wish I could ask these questions to an advisor at my school, but I swear not a single person seems to know any advice for an aspiring MD/MBA, and the general assumption is that I am an aberration and probably just in it for money or something like that, in which case I should forget about the MD altogether. Ugh!