Study abroad courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rchristian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I studied abroad for a year in the UK, and my courses, units and grades were translated into US equivalents and entered onto my college transcript. Does ADDSAS require that you have these approved separately by another organization, even if the courses were offered through an approved program at your American University?

Thanks,
Christian Solem

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on the method of your enrollment at a foreign instituition. I attended a German university for a semester, however I went through my university back in the states. I 'enrolled' at my university for the semester, and received financial aid from my university though I was really out of the country and physically enrolled elsewhere. When I asked the registrar and my pre-dental advisor back home if I would need to try to get a foreign transcript both of them explained that I would not as my grades were reported directly to my home university and technically I was enrolled with them during the whole time (though I attended classes in Germany, etc.). With that said a friend of mine also went to a German university after getting out of the US Airforce, though I don't believe he went through a school here in America in order to get there. He applied directly to the university and was accepted. As such he is now trying to get transcripts from them and running into a few problems (i.e., why do we need to enclose this 'transcript matching form' you speak of with the transcripts).

With that said, it all depends on how your educational experience abroad was arranged. Talk to some of the administrators at your school, and if you have some time to waste while being on hold, call AADSAS and ask a CSR what he/she thinks. Cover your bases and best of luck!

rchristian said:
I studied abroad for a year in the UK, and my courses, units and grades were translated into US equivalents and entered onto my college transcript. Does ADDSAS require that you have these approved separately by another organization, even if the courses were offered through an approved program at your American University?

Thanks,
Christian Solem

Hey, I also did a year abroad in the UK....which uni did you goto? I was at Birmingham.... This is what I basically did....I was told the same thing, about getting it converted....so I called the agency who did it, and you totally get ripped off conversion wise....it was totally not fair....so what I did was I contacted the study abroad office at my UK uni and they were able to send in their offical conversion sheet...then I got my home university to also confirm those grades and sent it off to AADSAS....everything was fine, and I got the conversions I deserved...