Students with children?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RT(R)2DPM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have spent the last couple of days reading the majority of the Pre-podiatry forums and have already gathered a wealth of information. However I do have a few questions that I wasn't able to find any threads on. First, I am married with a 2 year old son and was wondering how much more difficult it is to attend Podiatry school while raising a family? Then continuing along with the prior question, how many hours per week is it feasible to work per week while in school so that I can supplement my wife's income and be able to survive financially for four years? I figured maybe some of you have or are still juggling all of these things together and I really could use some guidance to see if Pod School is a real possibility or just a pipe dream. I would appreciate any and all advice and comments, and thank you all ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I know that no one at AZPod has a job except for maybe little side ventures (~5 hours per week). It would be impossible to work enough to pay bills and do school at the same time. Most everyone lives off of loans... some have significant family contributions, too. Good luck!

AZPOD Rocks

There are several students who have children and families and they all seem to be handling it pretty good. (They all have great support at home!!) On having a job, there is actually a second year pod who works quite a bit, this person works about 10 hours a week but on breaks works a lot. I myself could never handle juggling the two. There are extended programs that would allow you to complete your didactic coarses in three years rather than two, however you would have to pay for another year of school.

It seems like alot but I am sure that you willfind your balance. GOOD LUCK

Members don't see this ad :)
I see the people w/ kids/families and they seem to get along pretty well, they all sort of hang out together, I haven't heard them complain yet. I know people w/ part time jobs that scored really well on our first biochem test. But...that being said, anatomy hasn't started yet and once that does, it's going to get a lot, lot worse, along with more and more biochem. I personally could see doing one or the other, but both, well, more power to you if you can manage. I personally am doing neither and I am just starting to get to the point where I am feeling overwhelmed (with foresight on Anatomy coming up). It's a fine line, there are people out there that can and do do it, but it just takes a lot of self discipline and hard work, you may not have the free time to play with your kids or hang out with your wife, but you also got to remember, if you dedicate yourself to this, you wouldn't anyways and, personally, the rewards in the future well outweigh the sacrifice now in terms of a better life for you and your family, more opportunities, and don't forget the cruises for CME, gotta love them cruises. Good luck, hope it all works out.

I'm a 4th year at DMU with a wife, two children, and one on the way. A job would be near impossible unless you do work-study or something. I did valet one night a week at a country club for a while and I studied there. I was also a tissue recovery tech for the state donor network but just did that a few times a month. It generated a little cash but nothing significant. You survive financially by taking out Stafford loans and living cheap!

If all else fails there is DHS. You can finally collect on that Medicaid and FICA that you pay in.

Thanks for all your helpful advice everyone, its very reassuring and an honor to know that I will eventually be colleagues with all of you other soon to be DPM's. As for the work thing, I guess I could just try and get a PRN job at one of the hospitals or clinics around campus. Then I'll be able to X-ray and CT all of your guys stinky feet. J/K Thanks again to everyone who responded.

i began nycpm this past jan. i am married with 2 children ages 8 and 5. my wife has just finished 1 of 2 yrs of nursing school and earned her LPN degree. as for me- well i chose a program that streTches out the first year of pod school into 1.5 years. this enabled me to keep my job as a vice principal ( 12:30- 5:00 pm) in a private school located in N.J. this meant tailing out of class at noon and taking one day off of work for anat lab. let ME preface by saying that as a jan student at nycpm, i took neuroanat and gen anat with lab. 2 courses. thats it. but it was very hard to juggle a job, family and school. this summer i took infect. dis. which was offered as a 10 week course and we just had our final last week (lab extends through oct. my point is: i am no smarter than anyone else in pod school! how did it get through it so far? dedication, devotion and the best spouse in the world!!! friend- you can do it with a family, you can do it if you truly believe in yourself. its a fine balancing act but we're not the first to do it and definitely wont be the last. as for my semester starting next week? it is very full time and so i will not be working- cant be a t 2 places at one time! as for money- im borrowing tuition and so far have not taken out living expense loans- but if absolutely necc., then i will. remember, become a physician is a long process, but eventually it will pay off. prepare well for the long journey and you will indeed succeed