students starting SUNY as 1st years this Aug..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SightIsPrecious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you guys received anything from SUNY other than financial aid stuff?
Are we just supposed to find housing on our own? I feel like August will come quickly and I have no idea where I'll be living in nyc.

Members don't see this ad.

hahaha i was about to start a thread about it too!!
i have not gotten anything from them besides the financial info...
i wonder when they are going to start sending us stuff about housing...or classes? or....anything? hahhah

where are you thinking of to living?
i really want to stay in manhattan!! :)

hahaha i was about to start a thread about it too!!
i have not gotten anything from them besides the financial info...
i wonder when they are going to start sending us stuff about housing...or classes? or....anything? hahhah

where are you thinking of to living?
i really want to stay in manhattan!! :)

Gosh I would love to live in manhattan too... but realistically, I probably would end up living in Queens or Brooklyn. living costs are no joke :(

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, i actually called a few days ago about housing. they told me that they would be sending out housing information pretty soon. see you guys in august.

One more question: When do we find out what financial aid will be available to us?

we can't start applying for financial aid stuff until after April 1st right?...(which...is tomorrow haha) but i think we just sent it in and they will figure what we are qualified for us?

projectOD, BS310! where are you guys thinking of living next year?

I'm hoping to live in a part of Queens that's close to the school, so probably Astoria or Long Island City (that's in Queens, not Long Island). My reasons are lower rent and possibly being able to have a car, even though I wouldn't dream of driving to school. We'll see what happens though.

I'm hoping to live in a part of Queens that's close to the school, so probably Astoria or Long Island City (that's in Queens, not Long Island). My reasons are lower rent and possibly being able to have a car, even though I wouldn't dream of driving to school. We'll see what happens though.

Yeah I wouldn't dream of driving to school either haha. That would make mornings a bit stressful!

where would you guys look for apt to share? is craig's list a good source?

I also remember that on the day of the interview the financial aid office told me that they would send out a survey to ask ppl about their habits and preferences for living, and then pair the new students together and send them off to find apt in NY, is this true? I think it would be a good idea since your roommate will have very similar schedule as you, and probably stress out about tests the same time you do, so you can study together and party together.....ideally.

but back to the topic, long island city and Astoria seems to have reasonable price if you share apt, but I wonder if the metro lines around that area are reliable or not? any thoughts?

The metro line from astoria and long island city will bring you right to 42nd street. It's a train/subway.

guys you know what i heard?
there is a so called unofficial "suny building" where a lot of suny kids stays at!!
and its in manhattan near wall street.
im totally trying to find out more info about it :)

and suny doesnt PAIR us up, but they give us info about other suny kids thats trying to find roommates so we can pair ourselves up. :D
oh exciting!

have you guys start looking for apt yet?

the housing day is around mid July, which I think would be a little bit late since the orientation is 8/21 and class starts 8/25. I am from MD so I think I would need a bit more time to move and to get use to the city life, dunno if less than a month would be enough.

No, I haven't started looking. I'm hoping to latch on to some other students since I live on the other side of the country.

I have a quick question: Did SUNY recently send you a calender, change of address form, and letter signed by Dr. Johnston? That's all that you got, right? That's what came in the mail for me, but it was in an opened envelope so I don't know if anything else should have been in there and fell out.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats all I got as well! I guess more details and information will come soon

yeah that's all I got too, but I call the admin office and told them that I would like to get housing info earlier, so they said they would send housing and financial stuff earlier for me.

hey are you guys talking about the 7 year optometry program with SUNY?

I'm a junior in high school and i'm interested in this program. Can anyone tell me how this program is like? Is it hard to get in? What colleges did you guys go to for 3 years until attending SUNY? Is this program extremely stressful? Do I need to take SAT II's to get in?

thanks alot for your answers!!

So, i finally called this morning to find out about housing stuff in a bit more detail.. like someone here mentioned before, we will get stuff in the mail for roommate surveys by end of April and there will be a "housing day" on July 11 (that's the planned date for now) for apartments renting starting August 1st. He said there are a few places that will start renting out mid-Aug, but if you are not there for the housing day then the options are limited for last minute housing. That kinda sucks for ppl like me who don't live in nyc... where are we supposed to stay the rest of July if we go to this? I was thinking of moving there the beginning of August... when is everyone else planning to move to the area?

And to cmec429.. I didn't go through the 7 yr program but I think you'll get the most info from the undergraduate colleges who participate in this program. I've heard that some CUNY systems offer this, but your first step of finding out could be emailing SUNY for a list of undergrad schools that participate.

Yeah I want to move in beginning of Aug too, but I think the housing day might be too late.

SightIsPrecious: where do you live now?

hey guys!
just a quick question for those of you applying for loans, how did you choose a lender? what criteria did you look for? I'm pretty much clueless on this topic, any feedback would be appreciated. thanks in advance!

I went with Wells Fargo EFS, but I didn't really know what I was doing. I just wanted to stay with the same bank and 5 minutes of "research" didn't convince me not to.

im doing wachovia just cause i did that for undergrad too...
i dont think it makes much difference, but wachovia is a big company and lots of my friends use it... so yea. :)

guys im so excited, but it feels so weird to think that i will be in new york next year...its like at the opposite side of the country from where i am now. i dont feel like it really hit me yet that i will be there this fall. when i was there for the interview, i felt more like a tourist than a potential student. but yea, i canNOT wait till we'll all be there! its going to be a blast!

i think i am planning to stay on manhattan, and i'll be moving mid august. :)
housing day though...mmm im still going to be on finals week, i dont think i will be able to make it.. is that bad?? O_O are you guys all going?

what's the rate for wachovia right now??

Why did you guys want to go to SUNY?

I am thinking about applying for early decision. Any advice would be great!