Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gheist009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering about community college credits. I can do my first 2 years of bachelors degree for biology at my community college then transfer over and finish my 4 year degree.

My question is how many credits is enough? or Too much to be accepted into medical school.

My GPA is 3.8

Members don't see this ad.

I Mean that I am taking classes towards my biology degree in a community college, I can do the 2 years there than transfer over to a four year institution. My question is, will it affect my acceptance into a medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the only issue with community college is that adcoms don't like to see you do all your pre-reqs at a community college. I think if you take some upper-level science courses at the university, though, you should be fine.

Granted, I'm no expert on the subject.

Try not to take your prereqs at a CC. 2 years is a lot... enough to do all your prereqs there, which I hope you're not doing. A lot of med schools don't accept CC credits, and I'm guessing all med schools prefer credits from an accredited 4-year institution over a CC.

What do you mean your GPA is 3.8? Are you in hs? From the wording of your question, it sounds like you haven't gone to any college yet.

Hello,

I was wondering about community college credits. I can do my first 2 years of bachelors degree for biology at my community college then transfer over and finish my 4 year degree.

My question is how many credits is enough? or Too much to be accepted into medical school.

My GPA is 3.8
Let me handle this one guys... (puts arm around OP) Walk and talk with me OP.... Now, lets start with that gpa. Is that gpa based on your first semester? If so...it will likely change. Everyone states that they have a 3.9+ and have only taken 15 credits to date. Now son, about the transfer question. You can take classes at a cc and transfer to a 4 year, just save your science courses for the 4 year. How many credits is enough you ask? Medical schools prefer you to have a bachelor's degree. "Prefer" meaning mandatory basically. Now get out there and get'em tiger. (slaps OP on the butt)....

Yes I have gone college for a few semesters.

GPA is my grade point average, that's the name they use for it here where I study.

Alright thank you Doctor246853, I have about 30 or so credits towards my degree. I have finished most of my Pre-reqs.

I think the only issue with community college is that adcoms don't like to see you do all your pre-reqs at a community college. I think if you take some upper-level science courses at the university, though, you should be fine.

Granted, I'm no expert on the subject.

I did virtually all my prereqs at CC. All but one in-state school accept them outright (although one told me that they preferred that they be taken at a 4-year institution but that they would accept them from a 2-year), and the one that doesn't will still take them IF they are transferred to a 4-year school and accepted (that may actually have been the DO school now that I think about it....).

I'm just speculating on what I've heard and discussed, but I think if you just do 2 years at CC, transfer to a 4-year, maintain a good GPA and do a few upper levels well, you should be all right. If, on the other hand, you're admitted to a 4-year school, dodge taking the prereqs there by taking them at CC instead, and then do other things, it's probably fishy. It probably won't hurt to score well on the science sections of MCATs particularly if you do your prereqs at CC.

I think the reality for many applicants is that much as they would love to take the classes at a 4-year institution, the tuition costs are staggeringly high and community college for the first two years may be the best option. My experience with community college has been that they are occasionally easier but generally they are in the ballpark of what you'd expect to see at a 4-year school but with better instructors.

I'll probably have a better idea on this after I either get rejected or accepted. I sure hope they take CC credits like they say they will, though, or I'm SOL.