Student research WHAT IS IT ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medarca

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Does anyone carry out any real research work? And what does it like? Is that meens seeting for all day (maybe, night) in the library or working hard in laboratory. We all can find different ways to get to the one point. So what is yours?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of the med students on this site do research in their spare time (like me) or are part of programs where you'd get a PhD with your clinical degree (MD/PhD, DO/PhD, etc.). If you want to find out what a day in the life of a student researcher is like, go to the forum just above this one and check it out. I'll tell you that what each person does in a day is dependent on their project - some will be in a lab all day, but others may be in a clinic taking patient data, while others will be working with animals.

It's true! But I'm interesting in what each of you prefer. From my own skill I can say that even working with animals you can find out something really important for clinic. On the other side you can't be sure to use this model in treating desease. Clinical researches are good and usefull but they are not avaible to discover smth brand new.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's true! But I'm interesting in what each of you prefer. From my own skill I can say that even working with animals you can find out something really important for clinic. On the other side you can't be sure to use this model in treating desease. Clinical researches are good and usefull but they are not avaible to discover smth brand new.

Well research per se is quite diverse and I wouldn't paint it with such a broad brush my friend. MDs and DOs go into every aspect of medical research that's out there, from basic to clinical and everywhere in between. There is also great emphasis on "bench to bedside" research now, especially at the big research powerhouses like the NIH where you literally go from the lab to the patient wards and back. It's all about what YOU enjoy doing the most!

Personally, I do injury pattern research. The idea of bench research (unless it is for more than decent pay) makes me want to vomit. To each and to their own......

Dienekes!

Haven't seen you in a while. Gave up on us in pre-allo?

I'm doing some medical sociology research right now which mostly entails dataset construction and statistical analysis. I am trying to get involved with some cool med anthro projects though that will be much more qualitative, possibly during participant-observer research :crosses fingers:. I, likewise, get naseous when thinking of doing lab work.

While I'm taking my premed courses, I'm working part-time as a research assistant in a traumatic brain injury induced epilepsy lab. We're investigating prediction models for epilepsy from EEG data in rats. No authorship yet, maybe in a year or two.

Dienekes!

Haven't seen you in a while. Gave up on us in pre-allo?

I'm doing some medical sociology research right now which mostly entails dataset construction and statistical analysis. I am trying to get involved with some cool med anthro projects though that will be much more qualitative, possibly during participant-observer research :crosses fingers:. I, likewise, get naseous when thinking of doing lab work.
No, I've just been so damn busy with my research that my free time is a rare thing so I choose not to waste it on the *****s in Pre-Allo (present company excluded of course). I am actually working on my project this morning but decided to take a break for a few minutes.

No, I've just been so damn busy with my research that my free time is a rare thing so I choose not to waste it on the *****s in Pre-Allo (present company excluded of course). I am actually working on my project this morning but decided to take a break for a few minutes.

Makes sense. Are you working towards a publication? Are you considering going into public health or academics?