Student loan repayment as part of compensation package

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NSAspy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of a few anecdotes of recent ophtho grads getting their student loans paid off as part of their new hire compensation package.. Can anyone shed more light on this, is this commonplace or are those ppl a lucky few? What strings are usually attached (length of committment etc)?

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

The times that I have seen this, it is usually with a rural hospital looking for an ophthalmologist. Most times, they required a 5 year commitment where they are paying down a portion of the loan every year.

Those opportunities are extremely rare anymore. Have not come across one of those in several years.

I spoke to a friend of mine who is graduating fellowship in a few months, and he close to signing with a VA Hospital in a mid sized city; they offered $25,000 a year for 5 years or $125,00o total to pay down his student loans on top of his salary.

Of course, you would have to work at a VA for 5 years..

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to a friend of mine who is graduating fellowship in a few months, and he close to signing with a VA Hospital in a mid sized city; they offered $25,000 a year for 5 years or $125,00o total to pay down his student loans on top of his salary.

Of course, you would have to work at a VA for 5 years..

Wouldn't one's salary be >$25,000 less than their salary in a private setting?

How does loan repayment work with taxes? Does it just get added to your salary and you pay taxes as normal income?

Wouldn't one's salary be >$25,000 less than their salary in a private setting?

How does loan repayment work with taxes? Does it just get added to your salary and you pay taxes as normal income?

Yes, agreed. If one joined a private practice and got busy, depending on the contract and the partnership situation, one could easily exceed the VA offer above. And that's a good question with the taxes situation, I'm honestly not sure.