Student Loan Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi guys,

u know those stafford loans that u will have to repay 6 months after you graduate from college. what if u didn't graduate yet , but continue on and attend proefessional school ?do u still have to repay them those loans even if u are attending professional school, but no longer in college?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the answer is no. As long as you are enrolled in any academic program for six credits or more, you DO NOT have to repay back any student loans, including undergrad loans. You start paying back all of your loans at the completion of your education.

I graduated with my BS and a bunch of loans, started paying them off for a couple of years, then enrolled in a community college to finish up my pharmacy prereqs and upon enrollment, my lending people (sallie mae) informed me that my loans were deferred while I was in school. It took no action on my part. I have heard that's how it works for grad/professional school. The interest still accumulates, though.

hi guys,

u know those stafford loans that u will have to repay 6 months after you graduate from college. what if u didn't graduate yet , but continue on and attend proefessional school ?do u still have to repay them those loans even if u are attending professional school, but no longer in college?

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to pay them as long as you are enrolled at last part-time in school. I'm getting ready to graduate from college and going to pharmacy school and will have to fill out a deferment form.

hi guys,

As said above, you don't have to repay the loans, as long as you're taking whatever is considered half of full-time (which might depend on the school). And make sure to let whomever's loaning you the money, that you'll be attending professional school.

I am a high school senior who will be completing my prerequisites for pharmacy school at a community college in order to save up some money. My parents are going to pay for my education there at CC but once I get accepted to a pharmacy school, I will be on my own. I am just terrified to have to loan about 100,000 dollars for pharmacy school (since it is 4 years) and thats not including living expenses. In addition to that, I will be going to a school outside of NJ because it is very hard to get in the one in here (ernest mario; If I get in I will be pscyched!). My question is that any of you guys on student loan?. How much are you expected to owe once you graduate?. I am absolutely terrified of this problem. Please share your experience.

thank you.

Any of us on student loans? Who ISN'T?? Unless mummy and daddy paid for everything!! (or unless you have a sugar daddy or sugar mama...sorry I stole your idea, fhx06)

And I expect to get out of Pharm school with around $100,000. You could have less than that if you work/ try your best to get scholarships. $100,000 is kinda typical, you'll pay it off eventually...lol

I am a high school senior who will be completing my prerequisites for pharmacy school at a community college in order to save up some money. My parents are going to pay for my education there at CC but once I get accepted to a pharmacy school, I will be on my own. I am just terrified to have to loan about 100,000 dollars for pharmacy school (since it is 4 years) and thats not including living expenses. In addition to that, I will be going to a school outside of NJ because it is very hard to get in the one in here (ernest mario; If I get in I will be pscyched!). My question is that any of you guys on student loan?. How much are you expected to owe once you graduate?. I am absolutely terrified of this problem. Please share your experience.

thank you.
I would say the majority of the ppl are on student loans...unless you are lucky and have well-off parents.

I managed to do without loans but I went to a Florida school and had my tuition paid for by the state. To cover my living expenses, I applied to scholarships every summer and tried to get as much money as I could from that and supplemented the rest of my expenses through work.

I'll be taking out a lot of loans during pharmacy school, but I guess that can't be helped. It's actually a decent time to find loans with reasonable rates. If you do take out loans, make sure to understand the interest rate, whether or not it is subsidized or not, and if it's on a fixed rate or variable.

@Spock: No worries on the idea; it's harder than it sounds. More importantly, what the heck is up with the avatar?

At first looking at the annual cost of tuition and estimating the amount of all my other expenses I'll have I was kinda scared too! But then I read this thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=609678

and realized I won't be the only one =p

go to a in-state public school, work as an intern to pay for living expenses, keep your party money down to a minimum, and you should be able to finish those 4 years with only about $50-$60K in the hole. That's not bad. It's only when you get over $100K then things start to look ugly. :laugh:

I'm accepted at several pharmacy schools.
Since I'm an international student, tuition is the same in- or out of state. As you guys know, it's about $15000/sem.
It's a big money so I'm trying to get a loan, but it's not easy...
There's many student loans for residents or citizens, but not for Int' students.
I talked to the school, and they said I had to find a private loan by my self, not thru the school.
If anyone has info about student loans for int' student, please let me know.
Thanks.

I'm accepted at several pharmacy schools.
Since I'm an international student, tuition is the same in- or out of state. As you guys know, it's about $15000/sem.
It's a big money so I'm trying to get a loan, but it's not easy...
There's many student loans for residents or citizens, but not for Int' students.
I talked to the school, and they said I had to find a private loan by my self, not thru the school.
If anyone has info about student loans for int' student, please let me know.
Thanks.

There are various reasons an international student can receive Federal loans - Start reading here: LINK

As I am sure that you are already aware - you will likely need private loans - If you do a google search for "International Student Loan" you will find MANY companies that specialize in this situation. I know SallieMae have several products geared towards professional school.

Please note that with any private loan - the interest rate would be very high - in excess of the current 6.8 for sub / unsub federal loans and the 8.5 Plus loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is pretty obvious why international students can't get federal loans. Even private loans are difficult to get for international students because you are not living in the country and you can travel back to your home country anytime you want to. They can't control when you can leave the country so it is a very big risk for companies to lend you money. Besides, I believe they do require you to show proof of financial capability before they grant the F1 Visa for international students to come to the U.S because they know there won't be any loans for these students.

You can't get fed aid. You need a U.S. cosigner for private loans.

I am in't apply for private loan by myself through Citibank. I am credit approved. I have some good credit because I have bought a car and paid it monthly.

Hi, I'm an international student too. Do you mind if I ask about your background? Do you have pharmacy experience? I'm applying to pharmacy school this fall but very nervous cos I'm an international student, I don't think the chances are high. I have 3.79 GPA, PCAT 85%, not very strong.

Not even remotely true - ***SOME*** International students qualify (click the darn link for once) - and assuming you have (GOOD/SUFFICIENT) credit history, you do NOT need a cosigner.
:smack:
Relax. I did click the link.

From wha I can tell....Unless you are victim of human trafficking, or from Micronesia, a refugee, etc. you can't get fed aid. There are a few other similar categories, like Cubans, etc.

I am talking about a regular int'l student coming to the U.S. for study...from what I can tell, can't get fed aid. I checked out Sallie and about 4 other banks, it says straight up that you need a U.S. Cosigner.

I have used almost my limit for the Stafford loan for undergrad and graduate school. Now I want to go to Pharmacy school, but afraid I won't have enough money from Stafford Loans to cover the cost since I have borrowed so much.

On the FAFSA, I know you would have to check off "Professional Graduate Degree" or something to that effect, and this would go for people who are in PharmD, MD, DO, etc programs. Would this qualify me for the Health Profesions Loan? How does loan work, and what I need to qualify for it?

Are there any other options I should consider besides private loans (which have high interest rates?)

Thanks!

People who go into the medical fields have a higher limit set on the Stafford loans. I'm not sure what the limit is, but that might help you some. Besides being a health student, the Health Professions Loan requires both you and your parents to be poor. They're pretty secretive about what the exact qualifications are, but you do need to put your parents financial info into FAFSA. You should contact your fin aid office as they might be able to give you more info about them. You're next option is a Grad Plus Loan, which I think has a slightly lower interest rate than some of the other private loans.

This is helpful. So even if you have reached the max for the Stafford loans for undergrad and graduate combined, there may be a higher limit set if you are a health professions student? I believe that's what you are saying, but wanted to clarify.

Thanks for the information on the Grad Plus Loan. I am one of those types of people who wants to know all the information before she applies! I just like to know what I'm getting myself into!

People who go into the medical fields have a higher limit set on the Stafford loans. I'm not sure what the limit is, but that might help you some. Besides being a health student, the Health Professions Loan requires both you and your parents to be poor. They're pretty secretive about what the exact qualifications are, but you do need to put your parents financial info into FAFSA. You should contact your fin aid office as they might be able to give you more info about them. You're next option is a Grad Plus Loan, which I think has a slightly lower interest rate than some of the other private loans.

i and my brother have a house now, and i plan to go to pharmacy school, so i dont think i will have time to work to pay for my school and house at the same time. how does it affect my loan in pharm schools

This is helpful. So even if you have reached the max for the Stafford loans for undergrad and graduate combined, there may be a higher limit set if you are a health professions student? I believe that's what you are saying, but wanted to clarify.

Thanks for the information on the Grad Plus Loan. I am one of those types of people who wants to know all the information before she applies! I just like to know what I'm getting myself into!

I was in the exact same situation as you and let me tell you it won't help by much, you may have to try for some scholarships or something. I too have an undergrad and masters and used student loans. If you have over 100,000 in loans now there won't be much for school, I was told to try private loans, but instead I got the military to cover it thank you GOD!

Hmm..How did you get that to happen? Did you have to do any type of service with them? I kinda figured I might have to try the scholarship route...
I was in the exact same situation as you and let me tell you it won't help by much, you may have to try for some scholarships or something. I too have an undergrad and masters and used student loans. If you have over 100,000 in loans now there won't be much for school, I was told to try private loans, but instead I got the military to cover it thank you GOD!

Hmm..How did you get that to happen? Did you have to do any type of service with them? I kinda figured I might have to try the scholarship route...

Nah, I was in the military and left as a disabled veteran which entitles me to Chapter 30 benefits. Just do your fafsa and let the school tell you exactly how much they will give you. You may want to apply to state schools, which are much cheaper.

Most people don't get Stafford loans at all and manage to pay for it. You'll be fine. Suck it up. You knew it was expensive when you started.

Most people don't get Stafford loans at all and manage to pay for it. You'll be fine. Suck it up. You knew it was expensive when you started.

Your WRONG, trust me everybody gets stafford loans, it's basically the lowest interest rate you can get on a loan while in school, unless you know some people that pay cash LOL

Your WRONG, trust me everybody gets stafford loans, it's basically the lowest interest rate you can get on a loan while in school, unless you know some people that pay cash LOL

You're right; I was confused on the naming.

But seriously, for pharm school I think most people take out a LOT of private loans. It's expected.

I go to a private pharmacy school and pay over $26K in tuition a year not including fees and take out $40K a year. I get about $10K to $13K to live on out of that for the year. I get Stafford, both sub and unsub, and grad plus loans which cover all of it. I didn't have much in stafford's from undergrad, so that may help me for not reaching a limit but I've not heard of the class ahead of me saying anything like that happening. I haven't had to take out any private loans and I am avoiding that as long as possible. It is possible to do pharmacy school on just stafford and grad plus loans with enough to survive on. I suggest applying for every scholarship you can and do well in pharmacy school so you can apply for more that also ask for your GPA. There aren't many specific for pharmacy school out there for a P1 because you haven't proven yourself yet, but there are general health professions ones you can apply to like the Tylenol scholarship.

Hey folks,

I'm semi-new here, usually I just use the search function to find the information I have questions about. However, on the subject I am about to ask all the information seems to be out dated, or doesn't apply.

Maybe you all can help, my question is this:

How does some one get a private student loan while having bad credit (like in the 500s I think) without having a co-signer?

I ask because when I was younger I really messed up my credit, and now its finally catching up to me. I have no idea where my dad is to ask for a cosign, my mom has terrible credit, grandparents still have student loans they cosigned for my aunts and uncles, and my aunts and uncles wont cosign for me so they can cosign for their kids. So I'm kind of out of options when it comes to finding a cosigner. Any suggestions?

PS - I was working as a CPhT while going to CC but recently transferred to Campbell and managed to scrape by last year, but this next year looks like its going to be tough so I am trying to prepare -- haven't been able to find any work around here.

Hey folks,

I'm semi-new here, usually I just use the search function to find the information I have questions about. However, on the subject I am about to ask all the information seems to be out dated, or doesn't apply.

Maybe you all can help, my question is this:

How does some one get a private student loan while having bad credit (like in the 500s I think) without having a co-signer?

I ask because when I was younger I really messed up my credit, and now its finally catching up to me. I have no idea where my dad is to ask for a cosign, my mom has terrible credit, grandparents still have student loans they cosigned for my aunts and uncles, and my aunts and uncles wont cosign for me so they can cosign for their kids. So I'm kind of out of options when it comes to finding a cosigner. Any suggestions?

PS - I was working as a CPhT while going to CC but recently transferred to Campbell and managed to scrape by last year, but this next year looks like its going to be tough so I am trying to prepare -- haven't been able to find any work around here.

I was in a similar spot. My parents filed for bankruptcy, and blah blah blah I was left to fend for myself.

I had to kick and scream before my grandparents would agree to it because they'd gotten screwed over before. I was also forced to ask my boss to do a couple, but he had enough faith in me that he'd do it.

What's your income like? I know when my parents stopped claiming me on taxes it was low enough to where financial aid covered everything.

It's a very very sticky situation. There are always grants and things of that nature to inquire about as well.

Yeah I dont know what the situation is like if you are still claimed by your parents. For me, I am married and just had a baby (two months old already!) and didnt have any troubles getting all the financial aid and loans i needed. I went for the max this year just to be safe, even though i plan on working some through school.

What is considered "good" credit for the gradplus loan?

I am 20 years old and don't have a credit card (I have a debit card that I constantly put through as credit, but I don't think that even matters LOL). HOWEVER, I am financing a car that is under my father's and my name. The payments are ALWAYS in on time ($215 a month). I am hoping to pay off my car early (by the beginning of next summer). I do know that my dad has very good credit, however. Do I have any hope for a gradplus loan? :confused:

What is considered "good" credit for the gradplus loan?

I am 20 years old and don't have a credit card (I have a debit card that I constantly put through as credit, but I don't think that even matters LOL). HOWEVER, I am financing a car that is under my father's and my name. The payments are ALWAYS in on time ($215 a month). I am hoping to pay off my car early (by the beginning of next summer). I do know that my dad has very good credit, however. Do I have any hope for a gradplus loan? :confused:

You will probably fall into the "no credit" category in which case you will be eligible for GradPLUS. The only time you are not eligible for GradPLUS is if you have outstanding debt or defaulted loans. Even then, you can obtain a co-signature from someone who has good credit and you will get the GradPLUS loan. I am sure your parents can sign for you.

You will probably fall into the "no credit" category in which case you will be eligible for GradPLUS. The only time you are not eligible for GradPLUS is if you have outstanding debt or defaulted loans. Even then, you can obtain a co-signature from someone who has good credit and you will get the GradPLUS loan. I am sure your parents can sign for you.

Ahhh ok, that's good to know! Thanks! :)

How long after graduation does it usually take a pharmacist to completely pay back his/her student loan of around 150K?

How long after graduation does it usually take a pharmacist to completely pay back his/her student loan of around 150K?
There is no standard time. Some can live frugal and do it in ~5 years. Others stretch it out to 30.

+1 to both Lib and UNM.

$150,000 will require about $2,000/mo on the 10 year plan in order to really make the payments. If you have $5,000 take home monthly (not at all difficult as an RPh) then you can see how you will indeed have approx. $36,000 to live on annually after loan payment. Figure you have $3,000 a month now to play with: $2,000 for mortgage, $400 for car + $100 for insurance + $200 for gasoline, you're at 5000-2000-2000-400-100-200 = remaining. It's a tight squeeze.

But, you should likely have more than $5,000 net every month and if you don't live in CA, you probably won't have a $2,000 mortgage.

Last edited:
+1 to both Lib and UNM.

$150,000 will require about $2,000/mo on the 10 year plan in order to really make the payments. If you have $5,000 take home monthly (not at all difficult as an RPh) then you can see how you will indeed have approx. $36,000 to live on annually after loan payment. Figure another $2,000 for mortgage, $400 for car + $100 for insurance + $200 for gasoline, you're at 5000-2000-400-100-200 = $2,300 remaining. Then factor homeowner's insurance, any OTHER debt you might have or might incur, and it might get tight.

But, not everyone has expensive habits like I do. So, in that sense, UNM is correct. If you make triple payments to your loan (Like Mikey does...) then it'll be paid off muy rapido. If you go just minimum, then it will be 10 years. Or 30 years (depending on your plan).

Math's slightly off I think Sci. You'd have $2,300 remaining BEFORE you made your $2,000 monthly loan payment.

I personally plan on paying off a big chunk my first three years out of school

I was recently accepted into pharmacy school. I posted this here since I noticed not many people view the Financial Aid forum, and its kind of an odd situation.

I currently have a balance of $2000 (Stafford) from my undergraduate years (my only loan taken from college). I will not have to attend college next semester since my pre-reqs are done, and I would prefer to use the gap between the end of the Fall semester and the start of pharmacy school to pay off this $2000 loan and the majority of the remainder of my car's balance.

Heres the question:
If I do not attend school in the spring semester and cannot pay off the $2000 until mid-March (worst case scenario), will this affect my Stafford loan for pharmacy school in the upcoming Fall IF I file it at the earliest possible date? Should I wait until I pay it off before I do the FAFSA?

Last edited:
I was recently accepted into pharmacy school. I posted this here since I noticed not many people view the Financial Aid forum, and its kind of an odd situation.

I currently have a balance of $2000 (Stafford) from my undergraduate years (my only loan taken from college). I will not have to attend college next semester since my pre-reqs are done, and I would prefer to use the gap between the end of the Fall semester and the start of pharmacy school to pay off this $2000 loan and the majority of the remainder of my car's balance.

Heres the question:
If I do not attend school in the spring semester and cannot pay off the $2000 until mid-March (worst case scenario), will this affect my Stafford loan for pharmacy school in the upcoming Fall IF I file it at the earliest possible date? Should I wait until I pay it off before I do the FAFSA?

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp
Carrying a $2000 balance from undergrad will not affect your eligibility for loans in Pharmacy school.
Stafford/Federal Direct loans have a lifetime aggregate limit of some half a million dollars.
When you get into Pharmacy school, youre gonna borrow at least 20k per year. 8500 will be Federal Direct subsidized, some 14 k more will be Federal Direct unsubsidized, and then the rest will be Grad PLUS unsubsidized.

Federal Direct/Staffords (Direct = Stafford) have a 6.8% apr.
PLUS loans are unsubsidized and have a 7.9% apr.

The maximum amount of all loans you can take is determined by your "total cost of attendance" set by your school.
"The COA includes tuition and fees; on-campus room and board (or a housing and food allowance for off-campus students); and allowances for books, supplies, transportation, loan fees, and, if applicable"
If your school gives you an annual Budget of 40k (tuition + fee + room&board +books + leisure) = Total cost of education,
then you can take out an annual maximum of 40k in student loans.
8.5k Direct subsidized, 15k Direct unsubsidized, 16.5 PLUS, for example.

If your school gives you an annual Budget of 60k as its "Total cost of Education" your loans would look like: 8.5k + 15k + 27.5k

you are not obligated to take out the maximum allowable amount of loans. If you want to lead the high life (play now pay later), then take it all out by all means.

---

2000$ is actually extremely good for undergrad. Bachelor degrees leave with 20k of undergrad loans on average. A lucky few (like yourself) leave with little to no undergrad debt. An even luckier few leave with 40, 50, 60 k or more in debt from undergrad ALONE; and to put the icing on the cake, all that debt is UNSUBSIDIZED at 7.9%. Before you know it, you'll owe 10k alone in capitalized interest (interest compounded and added onto the principle).
---

For graduate debt, thats a whole other story.
average of 20-30k debt PER YEAR consisting of 8.5k subsidized, 15k unsubsidized, and the remainder PLUS, and if you want more debt, you can always take out PRIVATE loans from CITI, CHASE, WAKOVIA, BANK OF AMERICA, etc etc.

When you enroll at least half-time, all federal loans are put on deferment. That means they wont hound you to pay your bills, until 6-9 months AFTER you graduate. the 6-9 months is called the grace period.

Basically, dont worry about that 2k.

Carrying previous debt will not affect your "chances" of receiving future loans. Federal student loans are guaranteed so long as you submit a FAFSA.
They are not awarded based on credit score, or debt-to-income ratio, or any of that. As long as you submit your fafsa, you will receive federal loans every year.
Unlike in undergrad, you will no longer receive federal pell grant, state grants, and the like. As a graduate-level student you will finance your education solely on LOANS.
Once your pharmacy school is through with you, that 2k will be less than a drop in the bucket.

Best of luck,

Thanks so much! Answered perfectly! :)

Tuition at The University of New Mexico COP is $9000.00 (Its $8300.00 but I rounded up to $9k with books and "other" school fees/charges).
So thats $18,000.00 a year. As a family man with 2 kids and a mortgage I will need extra help to pay bills while I am a full time student during the day. We calculated that in order for us to stay where we are at now with paying our bills (we plan on no new debt besides student loans till im done with school) I will need an extra $20K a year on top of the $18K for school. Of course I will utilize ALL "free" financial aid.

This is my question. Are there ANY type of student loans (No matter if co signer needed or not) that will lend me what the difference is for school after my grants and fed loans PLUS the $20K to pay my bills?

Example: Lets say I get $10K in Fed Loans (Sub and UnSub) and Pell grant that I got this year. $18K-$10K= $8K difference...Will any lender lend the extra $28K a year needed for me to finish paying for school and to care for my family?

Or am I SOL?

Tuition at The University of New Mexico COP is $9000.00 (Its $8300.00 but I rounded up to $9k with books and "other" school fees/charges).
So thats $18,000.00 a year. As a family man with 2 kids and a mortgage I will need extra help to pay bills while I am a full time student during the day. We calculated that in order for us to stay where we are at now with paying our bills (we plan on no new debt besides student loans till im done with school) I will need an extra $20K a year on top of the $18K for school. Of course I will utilize ALL "free" financial aid.

This is my question. Are there ANY type of student loans (No matter if co signer needed or not) that will lend me what the difference is for school after my grants and fed loans PLUS the $20K to pay my bills?

Example: Lets say I get $10K in Fed Loans (Sub and UnSub) and Pell grant that I got this year. $18K-$10K= $8K difference...Will any lender lend the extra $28K a year needed for me to finish paying for school and to care for my family?

Or am I SOL?

If I am not mistaken, I believe you should be able to borrow up to like 35K (someone correct me if I am wrong) per year in federal loans but that will be based on whatever the school deems as your "cost of attendance". You will only be able to borrow up to that limit.

Thanks for your response D. Much appreciated.