General Admissions & OTCAS Student loan help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

occupationaltherapist2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I’ve been accepted into two programs. Currently my undergrad debt is 25-26k. The first program would cost me around 65/68k and it is 3 years long. The second program would be around 85k and it is 2 years long. I plan on living with my parents for a year after I graduate to pay off half of my loans at least. I would have to take out private loans. Which would be a better option, in your opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can make a good case for the more expensive school given it's shorter period to complete. You can more than make up the financial gap between these programs with an extra year of earnings and saving while living at home. Assume your net salary after taxes is $50k +/-, and the cost difference between your programs is $17-20k. Good luck.

Depends on which school is better. You can easily go without work for months. So the extra year shouldn't matter much.

USC vs USAHS? Private vs public? Online vs on campus? Hands on vs theory?

A couple of years ago just having a OT license was good enough. People are more picky now and can be in the future. Name of school matters imo.