Student has a question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monaarts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm new here, although I have been looking at posts for a couple of weeks now. Anyway, I have been thinking about going to school to either become a Cardio or Neuro Surgeon.. I have been looking very deeply into either career and have found myself absolutely infactuated with each.
What I need to know though, is if it is likely for me to be able to get accepted into a med school (hopefully a decent one atleast) and more importantly into a residency (also a decent one hopefully)... Here is my situation... I dropped out of HS about 4 years ago because it wasn't my thing... Since then, I have matured MUCH more and decided to get my GED about a year ago and go to college. I have attented a community college in Georgia for the last 4 months just until I figured out what I truely wanted to goto school for... I am going to transfer to Richard Stockton College in New Jersey for atleast one semester and then I may try to get into UMDNJ after than to finish my BA degree... Like I said, I have been thinking about doing either a cardio or a neuro surgeon. I have a VERY strong work ethic though.. for example I have a 3.85 GPA right now and I am used to working about 70-90 hours a week (hey, thats the restaurant business for you).
So please tell me what you think the odds of me being able to get into a medical school (is a good one possible??) and a residency (is a good one possible) afterwards... Thank you in advance.

-Joe

Members don't see this ad.

You'll get better answers in the pre-allopathic forum (if you haven't done it already). Good luck !

I'm sure your patients would love to know that their neurosurgeon has a GED and went to community college. Get a life bro and stop wasting your time. You aren't smart enough to be a doctor- this is evidenced by your educational history.

Members don't see this ad :)
snorebel said:
I'm sure your patients would love to know that their neurosurgeon has a GED and went to community college. Get a life bro and stop wasting your time. You aren't smart enough to be a doctor- this is evidenced by your educational history.
Tool.

monaarts said:
Hey everyone,
I'm new here, although I have been looking at posts for a couple of weeks now. Anyway, I have been thinking about going to school to either become a Cardio or Neuro Surgeon.. I have been looking very deeply into either career and have found myself absolutely infactuated with each.
What I need to know though, is if it is likely for me to be able to get accepted into a med school (hopefully a decent one atleast) and more importantly into a residency (also a decent one hopefully)... Here is my situation... I dropped out of HS about 4 years ago because it wasn't my thing... Since then, I have matured MUCH more and decided to get my GED about a year ago and go to college. I have attented a community college in Georgia for the last 4 months just until I figured out what I truely wanted to goto school for... I am going to transfer to Richard Stockton College in New Jersey for atleast one semester and then I may try to get into UMDNJ after than to finish my BA degree... Like I said, I have been thinking about doing either a cardio or a neuro surgeon. I have a VERY strong work ethic though.. for example I have a 3.85 GPA right now and I am used to working about 70-90 hours a week (hey, thats the restaurant business for you).
So please tell me what you think the odds of me being able to get into a medical school (is a good one possible??) and a residency (is a good one possible) afterwards... Thank you in advance.

-Joe

Monaarts,

Please don’t listen to snorebel, his post was completely disrespectful and not appropriate on this discussion board – I only hope that he is more empathetic with his patients. Having a GED or going to a community college will not hold you back from getting into medical school or becoming a neurosurgeon. I have a very good friend who has a GED and no college education and I consider him more intelligent than most neurosurgeons I know and he makes more money than a neurosurgeon ever would.

Step 1 is to get into a 4 year university and do well on all your pre-req classes and the MCAT.

Step 2 is to do well in medical school and match for a residency. These residency programs wont even look at much before med school so don’t sweat it.

You have a very long road ahead of you so don’t set your mind specifically on neurosurgery or cardiothoracic surgery because you have 6+ years until you even have to decide on your specialty. Do well in school, work hard, and anything is attainable.

I recommend posting in the pre-allo forum since this forum wont help you very much.

Cheers