Student access to EEG and other equipment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Southwell

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware if there are any ways in which a student may have access to professional health and medical equipment for research projects that they're conducting, such as EEG or other biofeedback or neurofeedback equipment? I was told by one teacher that hospitals might assist me, but I'm not sure how accurate that is or in what way to go about it, if that is true. Any help?

Thanks a Million,
Southwell

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone aware if there are any ways in which a student may have access to professional health and medical equipment for research projects that they're conducting, such as EEG or other biofeedback or neurofeedback equipment? I was told by one teacher that hospitals might assist me, but I'm not sure how accurate that is or in what way to go about it, if that is true. Any help?

Thanks a Million,
Southwell

At what stage of your career are you, and what do you want to do? You will need to work with a neurologist to do this. Contact the head of neuology at your local medical school/hospital and let him/her know what you want to do and see what happens. Any research done with patient or patient records requires an approved proposal by the Institutional Review Board (IRB). You can't go through the technicians that do the procedures.

Thank you very much for your response. I am currently still in high school, this is my Junior year. I am getting my GED shortly, however, and then immediately beginning college. Honestly I'm not sure the exact field I want to consider myself going into, but I am headed very strongly in the direction of Medical Science and Research, Cell Physics and Genetic and Biological Engineering. Any advice is wholeheartedly welcome.

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for your response. I am currently still in high school, this is my Junior year. I am getting my GED shortly, however, and then immediately beginning college. Honestly I'm not sure the exact field I want to consider myself going into, but I am headed very strongly in the direction of Medical Science and Research, Cell Physics and Genetic and Biological Engineering. Any advice is wholeheartedly welcome.

Thanks again.

You are very amitious. My first advice would be to wait at least a semester before you start becoming involved in research as an undergrad. Grades (and MCAT score) are going to be the most important factor in getting into med school. So, take some time to feel things out. Depending on where you go to college, I would try to find someone at your local medical school (do internet searches in various departments) doing some kind of research that you are interested in. I would stay away (initially) from trying to do clinical research and try to get some experience doing basic science and see how you like it.

It sounds like you might enjoy neuroscience or biophysics. If you really like basic research and you really like medicine, you can apply for MD/PhD programs. Also, it doesn't really matter what kind of research yo udo as an undergrad, so do something you will enjoy reading about. You can always change later in grad school. If you find out that you don't enjoy being in the lab, then you can get involved with clinical experiments. You don't need a PhD to do clinical research, so this may help you to decide if you want to later apply for MD only or MD/PhD or PhD only. But, you have a lot of time. Take your time, check out what local faculty members are doing, work for someone who is energetic and enthusiastic, and have fun! Good luck!

Study Engineering in China at top government-owned University, Institute in English Medium at low cost. China engineering education is top ranking in world.
More information visit: http://www.bestcollegechina.com