Stuck on Undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ylrebmik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck on what undergraduate college to choose :(

I found schools that all fit my general guidelines but they each give very different opportunities.

1. In countryside with fewer zoos/ clinics/ etc. for internships. (very secluded area. However, the academics are very hands on and very outdoors and so different- great opportunites. However, the classes are awesome but don't give as much in depth classes like some of my others (like biology of mammals in specific).

2. In city with a lot of opportunites for internships. AMAZING classes... one of my top reasons for considering. However, the other school has more outdoor, "fun" adventures that make it a completely different setting.

There are a few others that i'm debating about but they are similar to #2.
So basically I have two schools: One with more opportunities that I would never get the chance to at a different school but not nessisarily vet related. The other amazing opportunites within the vet field but I dont want to miss out on the extra amazing things.

So.... after going through pre-vet... do you think it is wise to choose a school that excels in academics for pre-vet with a million of choices or is a good solid foundation adaquate?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, obviously it's a decision that only you can make. But my 2 cents worth is that: 1) you won't be the same person in 4 years that you are now, and 2) you can get to the same goal by MANY different paths. So I don't think you should be afraid to do something different, even if you don't see right now how it's on the path to where you think you want to end up. You might either find that another passion sparks within you, or that there is a path to your goal that you never even knew existed before.

Of course, this is all coming from a non-traditional vet school applicant. I mention this because I definitely have seen in my own life the benefits of the less obvious path. :) Just my opinion, for what it's worth. Good luck with your choice!

My advice, and this is the same advice I got for graduate school/vet school is.....

Go where you want to live.

Remember, you will be there for four years. It isn't worth going to a stupendous school and being miserable where you are location-wise for four whole years. It is very easy to get caught up in over-preparing, and deprive yourself of a well-rounded, fun personal life.

Good luck in all the choosing. Remember, pre-vet shouldn't take over your entire life (that's what actual vet school is for!) ha ha.....enjoy the outdoors and country. I guess I am biased cause I am outdoorsy myself (I went to VA Tech for undegrad and am now at VMRCVM - I love Blacksburg country and mountains....) but.....my two cents :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who has just gone through this process, my suggestion is to wait until you see where you get into and what they offer you. I applied to four or five schools that I originally couldn't choose from. They each had their own perks or small downfalls. Once the scholarship offers started rolling in, it made my decision a lot easier. I'm not saying you should just choose the one that gives you the best deal; I turned down my best offer because after visiting the campus, I knew I would not be happy there. I went with my second best offer, which also has a beautiful campus and a good program. So, to summarize, if you like both equally, and can imagine yourself happy at either school, wait to see what they offer and see if that gets you leaning one way or the other.

if you do end up choosing the rural area college, you could always use your summers to go back to the city to interact in that area to work in clinics and such. just an idea :rolleyes: