Strong nuclear force?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pierrot1111

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A BR question asks:

The strongest attractive force is between:

A. a proton and a neutron
B. a neutron and an electron
C. an electron and an electron
D. an electron and a proton

The book says that the answer is D because of Coloumb's law and whatnot. This was one of the answers I was going to pick, but I thought that A would have been a better answer due to strong nuclear force. Is the answer A...or am I wrong because I got the concept of strong nuclear force incorrect?

-Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

the strong nuclear force is what overcomes the repulsion between protons in the nucleus to keep them together in the nucleus. Don't think it has to do anything with the neutrons in there. The right answer is the one BR chose

A BR question asks:

The strongest attractive force is between:

A. a proton and a neutron
B. a neutron and an electron
C. an electron and an electron
D. an electron and a proton

The book says that the answer is D because of Coloumb's law and whatnot. This was one of the answers I was going to pick, but I thought that A would have been a better answer due to strong nuclear force. Is the answer A...or am I wrong because I got the concept of strong nuclear force incorrect?

-Thanks

U were on the right trail, unfortunately BR is playing word games here.. don't u hate that!! If the question was which is the strongest force, without a doubt it's the strong nuclear force. It's the strongest of the 4 fundamental forces and its hundreds of times stronger than the electromagnetic force. Also it holds protons to protons, neutrons to neutrons and protons to neutrons (it glues the nucleons basically).

The question asked for the strongest attractive force and the strong nuclear force is not attractive, rather it results from an exchange of mesons between the nucleons. I'll stop here bcos MCAT doesn't test for such quantum phenomena, but good instincts on ur part.