Strong junior year, rough senior year - MSW and GPA advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dxj5069

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello y'all,

Alas! I've completed my undergraduate studies at USC! It's been a long journey, but so worth it. I've decided to pursue my MSW, but only after at least 1-3 year(s) of gaining professional experiences and volunteering. Right now, I work as a Psychiatric Tech for a detox house and it's been an awesome journey. I guess I'll start with my question...

So, I did extremely well up to my senior year; I maintained above 3.5-4.0 for all semesters (upward trend), with my junior peaking 4.0. Unfortunately, I was dealing with personal mental health issues (recently diagnosed bipolar, major depression, substance addiction) senior year, but still managed to get mostly Bs and a couple of C+s for my last two semesters - senior year cumulative gpa was around 2.8. My cumulative rounded out to be 3.43, with major in Psychology a 3.33. My junior and senior year cumulative ended up being a 3.42 (according to UCLA's GPA calculator).

Honestly, I'm actually quite proud how I still managed to pull through while seeking treatment by myself, and now I've been getting back on track with this new job that has been treating me so well and has inspired me to work in this field. I love doing what I do, and I plan to stick with it because I'll be able to perform more case managing tasks later down the road. Working in this field has also helped me maintain my own sobriety the past year. My goal is become an LCSW and work with others overcome addictions.

However, I'm a little worried MSW programs will use that weak senior year against me, but I'm not going to fret too much over it because it was a very personal hardship that I worked my butt off to overcome and manage. I'm proud of it. I'm really aiming at public schools in CA for tuition purposes, such as Cal, UCLA, SFSU, CSUN, and CSULB. Do MSW programs want to hear about your own problems in the essays (in this case my own journey with mental health awareness and sobriety)? Is my GPA not as bad as I may think for these schools? My goal first is to work and gain more volunteering experiences. I'm in no rush. I'm giving myself 1-3 years before deciding on applying. Any insight would be wonderful!

Thank you for reading this! Much appreciated. Happy holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't work on any sort of admissions committee, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think your overall GPA is more than good enough to get you into an MSW program and would not spend any significant period of time speaking to your own personal struggles with mental illness. If asked you could say your senior year was difficult due to health problems or something along those lines, but I definitely would not make that a focal point of your letter.

Reactions: 1 user