Stone throwers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgD

The Lorax
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read an article that made me reminsce about my favorite 3 stone throwers in this forum so I decided to share:

Navy Medicine In Critical Condition
Commander Joseph F. Rappold, MC, U.S. Navy
Proceedings, December 2005
http://www.usni.org/proceedings/Articles05/Pro12Rappold.html

I'm not exactly sure I agree with everything his piece however I can emphathize with the frustration he must have felt. I've read a lot of anonymous criticism here. CDR Rappold sure had some courage to publish such a biting criticism in a journal.

Members don't see this ad.

nothing in the article surprises me except that someone was willing to publish it because it exposes another aspect of military medicine for what it is; FAILING!

I guess this makes CDR Rappold another "stone thrower" ????

Gentlemen,

Tried to read the article but it is a registration-only website that requires $$$.

I apologize if you feel I was name-calling (it was merely my attempt to find different ways to say "critics", obviously not as inoffensive as I intended)

And please note I have never questioned your personal observations nor experiences*, and I am sure there are many people out there who are critical of some (many) aspects of military medicine.

My comments earlier of "three" was just to try to help another poster put into context the large amount of negative posts she was seeing.

If either of you would care to post the article here I'm sure it would be enlightening reading.

*(except for one person who has been rather cloak and dagger, but other posters know him, so despite my incredulity at fear of persecution, I withdrew my criticism)

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoops, never mind, I found there was an option to register for the web site only that was free.

Excellent article, and it mirrors some of the criticism I have heard (not yet seen in print) about the way the Army is using their mobile assets.

I will agree that, as an institution, the military has never been very good at efficient use of resources, be it money or people.

Your comment that the military, as an institution, has never been that good at efficient use of resources etc. is VERY important and true. It speaks to the heart of why things are SO BAD right now. The military has always had intrinsic limitations of efficiency and ability to change etc. The problem now (at least with USAF Family Med) is that we had and continue to have a surgeon general that thinks we can run things like a high functioning HMO, and crank up the numbers of patients etc to match and even surpass that of HMOs. $$$ driving the issue.

Because of the limitations and problems that have always existed, and now with epidemics of obesity, Diabetes, deployements, increased recommendations of preventive care (colonoscopies etc), and with patient panel sizes 200-400% above those of 5 years ago, THINGS ARE OUT OF CONTROL.

I do not expect people that have not experienced the above to completely understand it, but I hope as you all begin to read more and more articles/journals describing the broken system, and continue to see retention rates drop, you might start to believe that some major changes are needed, and needed asap.

“In the now mature combat theater of Iraq, Navy medical assets continue to be poorly staffed and used. Despite advanced levels of care rapidly available from Air Force and Army facilities, top Marine Corps line officers are unwilling to divest themselves of the rapidly mobile but less capable Navy units used during the attack phase. These units, which have no data to support their effectiveness during the maneuver phases of combat, are now clearly inferior to the higher echelons of care currently available in theater.

Unfortunately, the cost of manning these surgical units has come in the form of poor retention and recruitment of critical wartime medical specialties. Navy physicians, dentists, nurses, and corpsmen are voting with their feet, and no amount of bonus money will correct the true underlying problem—an absolute lack of leadership and planning on the part of Navy Medicine. Combine this with the inability of the recruiting command to attract and award the Health Professions Scholarships to incoming medical students, and the Navy’s ability to support combat medical operations in the future is clearly in question.” (Quote from USNI Proceedings Dec. 2005)

This is not just a problem in the Navy—the issues are identical in the Army and Air Force. The problem is that the line officers, who know nothing about medical capabilities, control the medical assets. In the case of surgical services, this disconnect results in a gross waste of surgical talent. In the Air Force, for instance, the base commanders demand surgical capability at every single small base in the Middle East, regardless if it is needed, or how close the nearest Army Combat Support Hospital is. Commanders like to have surgeons around “Just in case” something happens.

So in my case, during my civilian general surgery residency I took care of critically ill and severely injured trauma patients every day. But when I finished residency, and deployed to the war zone, I sat around and did NOTHING—zero surgical cases in four months. Once my commander noticed that I had no surgical cases, I was assigned other duties: working as a GMO, passing out Motrin, inventorying supplies, etc. I was even assigned (I swear I am not making this up) to police the compound and pick up the cigarette butts. Only the Military would assign a board-certified General Surgeon to pick up trash.

I think some students who are interested in surgery join the military with romantic notions of taking care of hundreds of shot-up soldiers during a deployment—like in an episode of M*A*S*H. The reality is that a surgeon in the Air Force (and maybe the Army and Navy too based on the article) is far more likely to be sitting around doing nothing, or doing PA-level work, or picking up trash than doing surgery (the busy AF hospital at Balad, Iraq is the exception not the rule). Surgeons should not join the military with the expectation that they will take care of lots of wartime penetrating trauma—they will very likely be disappointed.

As I've said many times before, military medicine is NOT what people see on TV shows like JAG or whatever.

Military medicine is really just a joke perpetrated on deserving soldiers and sailors who don't know any better.

I ditto mitch above. It is very discouraging being a MOTIVATED, board certified general surgeon that doesn't get to do anything. I just added up my case list for the last year and it was pathetic. I did 180 cases, but 140 of those were endoscopies. So, I did FORTY operative cases in a year. That includes small things like breast biopsies and hemorrhoids. What a complete waste of a surgeon.

The Department of Defense is redundant.

All branches of service have air power.

Even the army has boats.

Why have both an army and marines other than tradition.

Why doesn't the navy use non-navy assests in field? Pride and tradition and proof of their worthiness to the chiefs of staff, DOD administrators, and congress.

Its time for the DOD to have a meaningful reorganization, merger, and downsizing:

1. U.S. Land Forces

2. U.S. Sea Forces (sans marines)

3. Aerospace Force

4. Purple suit the military intelligence units

5. Purple suit the special forces

6. Purple suit the military medical corps.

7. Fire 75% of the administrators, LTC nurse with clipboards, and all navy deputy commanders of clinical services serving in army facilities.

And by the way, I always thought it was the DOD that provided us with Homeland Security?

The author is a prior line officer (surface warfare) with the leadership experience to speak up. If all military physicians did the same, would military medicine be in the same condition it is in now???

not a bad idea at first glance in my opinion.

Interesting in concept, I would thoroughly enjoy the debates up on the hill if this was ever put forth.

mitch, flitesurgn

Your are not alone. My buddy Paul was deployed a cumulative time of 8 months including up and down time before deployment, and in that time did 3 surgical cases. THREE

Oh, he did to his credit also identify the index case on the base who was spreding gonorrhea to all the soldiers.

It is a complete waste and abuse of resources.

I feel for you guys when you are looking to get a job, and they ask you why you only did this many cases. Most people still have the wrong conception about what a surgeon does in todays military.

G