This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Itsnotludwigs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm definitely a late applicant. My DAT scores only arrived at schools in late September, so I'm assuming I didn't make first applicant wave for most schools. My top school choice is Columbia, but unfortunately, I have yet to hear from them (along with 9 other schools I'm still waiting for).

Of note, I did get a 25AA, 24TS, 24 PAT, 3.58 GPA and a masters in Health Systems Engineering, so I am under the impression that my application is fairly strong.

Should I be worried that I haven't heard yet? Any advice at what I can do at this point to help my chances at all? I really have my heart set on Columbia. Fingers crossed.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well you are right you're considered a "late applicant." Your stats are definitely Columbia worthy. At my interview they said they interview until late Feb I believe. For some other schools, who interview and decide earlier, there are significantly less spots available. Just as a side note, my stats are 20 AA and 3.9 GPA with BA in Biology. I think you have a fair shot at some schools if the rest of your app is competitive (interest in dentistry, PS, EC, leadership,etc.)

Reactions: 2 users
Should I be worried that I haven't heard yet? Any advice at what I can do at this point to help my chances at all? I really have my heart set on Columbia. Fingers crossed.

Consider calling & expressing your interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, thanks for the responses! Columbia is my top choice for a couple of reasons, but I'm not opposed to going elsewhere. I already live right near by, its a great program academically, great name, etc.
I am interested in specializing in OMS, so I know that the Ivys tend to be more geared towards specializing, as well as more academics-focused rather than clinical focused. I find this type of education more appealing, just as a personal preference, especially since I'm going to need to be prepared for the medical boards as well as the dental boards.

Also, I have called, emailed and even visited, to express my interest, so I guess I have pretty much done everything that I can do at this point. I'm hoping that I'll start to see more action once December 1st rolls around. Hopefully second wave will start not too long after that.

Hey all, thanks for the responses! Columbia is my top choice for a couple of reasons, but I'm not opposed to going elsewhere. I already live right near by, its a great program academically, great name, etc.
I am interested in specializing in OMS, so I know that the Ivys tend to be more geared towards specializing, as well as more academics-focused rather than clinical focused. I find this type of education more appealing, just as a personal preference, especially since I'm going to need to be prepared for the medical boards as well as the dental boards.

Also, I have called, emailed and even visited, to express my interest, so I guess I have pretty much done everything that I can do at this point. I'm hoping that I'll start to see more action once December 1st rolls around. Hopefully second wave will start not too long after that.

Good luck! Columbia is a fantastic program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Just one thing- I'd encourage you to explore all of your options thoroughly. For example, UConn- a state school- has twice the OMFS placement rate as Columbia. Really look at all the schools you applied to and their placement rates.

True. I guess I'll look more closely once I actually start getting some acceptances.

True. I guess I'll look more closely once I actually start getting some acceptances.
Well I think a lot of it depends on the class. When I interviewed at Columbia I believe the D3 said about half his class was going to OMFS. They also said since they are H/P/F and an ivy league, everyone who applies to a specialty program gets in. Also your mind may change while in DS or it may not.

Reactions: 3 users

Just one thing- I'd encourage you to explore all of your options thoroughly. For example, UConn- a state school- has twice the OMFS placement rate as Columbia. Really look at all the schools you applied to and their placement rates.

I feel like UCONN/a few other state schools are the exception to the rule when it comes to this though. Still, OP should make sure they know what they are getting into before picking any school!

I thought this might be helpful. They gave it to us on interview day. Basically, about half go into General Practice or GPR/ AEGD and the other half do some sort of specialization. Based on this, about 5-15 do OMFS each class. I think the medical school curriculum would also really help you with the Medical boards.

Attachments

• Columbia10.jpg
    Columbia10.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: 3 users
I thought this might be helpful. They gave it to us on interview day. Basically, about half go into General Practice or GPR/ AEGD and the other half do some sort of specialization. Based on this, about 5-15 do OMFS each class. I think the medical school curriculum would also really help you with the Medical boards.

Exactly. That's definitely a priority for me. But sadly I still haven't heard back yet.

If my application was complete by mid-late September, any guesses as to when I might hear from more schools? I'm still waiting for 10 schools to get back to me.

From the various feedback of friends who are applying now, it seems schools are really taking a while to respond this year in general. Not sure if that's true or not, but that's the impression I've been getting.

Exactly. That's definitely a priority for me. But sadly I still haven't heard back yet.

If my application was complete by mid-late September, any guesses as to when I might hear from more schools? I'm still waiting for 10 schools to get back to me.

From the various feedback of friends who are applying now, it seems schools are really taking a while to respond this year in general. Not sure if that's true or not, but that's the impression I've been getting.
This has been the case at my UG, at least compared to last year's applicants. Not really sure why though

Reactions: 1 users

Yes I also know a few people at my UG who applied in August and September who haven't heard back yet. I would just wait it out. Columbia I believe interviews til late Feb so I would get worried around beginning Feb. I don't think you have anything to worry about because you definitely have competitive stats so you should get a few interviews.