Still Waiting to Hear Back About Interviews...Should I Be Concerned?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deku

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a fourth time medical school applicant. I first applied the end of my junior year in college, in the 2014 cycle. I applied for three consecutive years. I graduated in 2014. My last application was for the 2016 cycle. I was offered two interviews in my third application cycle. After failing to matriculate in 2016, I decided to take a two year break from applying to really improve my application, as I was rather naive about the amount of work and dedication I needed to do/show to get in. At the end of the 2016 cycle, I had worked in a histology lab for over a year, had 60 hours of volunteering in a VA hospital, 175 hours of non-medical volunteer service during undergrad, 80 hours volunteering in an osteopathic research lab, and approximately 65 hours of shadowing. I had a 28 on the old MCAT, with a 3.77 undergraduate GPA.

Since 2016, I have earned my EMT license, while working as a surgical orderly. Following completion of my EMT training, I began working as a patient care tech in the busiest level one trauma center emergency department in Kansas City, MO. I now have thousands of clinical care hours. In addition, while working full time, I have been studying in a Master's program in cell and molecular biology at UMKC. I believe my application is much stronger than before, as my biggest areas of needing improvement were patient contact/care hours and additional coursework after being out of school for several years. I have been offered interviews at UMKC and West Virginia State University, however, I have not heard back from any other schools besides Mayo Clinic, who put my application on hold. I was unfortunately unable to apply earlier than mid July (July 23rd), as I was studying to take the new MCAT at the end of June. My primary was verified near the end of August, completed all 16 secondaries throughout August and September. Has anyone else applied on a similar timeline, and have you heard back yet? Do you think my application is being pushed back in the review process because of some deficiency in my application?

Current Application Stats: 4.0 graduate school GPA, 517 MCAT (130 BS, 130 PS, 129 CARS, 128 CP),
Schools Applied:
Northwestern Feinberg
Yale
Mayo Clinic
Harvard
University of Missouri- Columbia
Saint Louis University
Washington University
University of Missouri- Kansas City
West Virginia State University
Johns Hopkins
Kansas University
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (DO)
Midwestern University Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
Dartmouth
West Virginia University of Osteopathic Medicine
Des Moines University of Osteopathic Medicine

Interviews:
UMKC
West Virginia State

Application on Hold:
Mayo Clinic

Members don't see this ad.

What is your undergrad GPA? I honestly think you are fine considering your schools have had your app for about 6 weeks. Considering you have had 2 interviews, there is unlikely a deficiency in your app. I think you could have applied to a few more schools but what's done is done. I'd be amazed if you didn't get an acceptance from at least the DO schools (unless you think interviewing is a problem)

Reactions: 1 user
What is your undergrad GPA? I honestly think you are fine considering your schools have had your app for about 6 weeks. Considering you have had 2 interviews, there is unlikely a deficiency in your app. I think you could have applied to a few more schools but what's done is done. I'd be amazed if you didn't get an acceptance from at least the DO schools (unless you think interviewing is a problem)

Undergraduate GPA was 3.77

Members don't see this ad :)
You've got a lot of reach programs in there and not a whole lot of mid-tiers... As a 4th-time applicant, that's pretty ballsy.

Reactions: 11 users
You've got a lot of reach programs in there and not a whole lot of mid-tiers... As a 4th-time applicant, that's pretty ballsy.

I guess that would depend on what you consider reach programs. University of Missouri-KC, University of Missouri-Columbia, Saint Louis University, Kansas University, West Virginia State University, and all of the DO programs I would consider mid tier. That's about 2/3 of the schools I applied to.

If I were to add more mid tiers, wouldn't it be a bit late at this point in the application cycle?

If I were to add more mid tiers, wouldn't it be a bit late at this point in the application cycle?

I count 9 mid-tiers and 7 reaches. And yes, too late now for more mid-tier MDs. Not for DOs though.

I guess that would depend on what you consider reach programs. University of Missouri-KC, University of Missouri-Columbia, Saint Louis University, Kansas University, West Virginia State University, and all of the DO programs I would consider mid tier. That's about 2/3 of the schools I applied to.
If you're a four-time applicant, they're all reaches. Your application fees were a total waste of money for at least half of the schools on your list. Apply to additional DO programs. If, heaven forbid, you're a five-time applicant in the future, talk to adcoms before submitting your primary and make sure you have a realistic school list.

Reactions: 5 users
If you're a four-time applicant, they're all reaches. Your application fees were a total waste of money for at least half of the schools on your list. Apply to additional DO programs. If, heaven forbid, you're a five-time applicant in the future, talk to adcoms before submitting your primary and make sure you have a realistic school list.

Thanks for that...really useful feedback. Not everyone applies and gets in straight out of undergrad.

Thanks for that...really useful feedback. Not everyone applies and gets in straight out of undergrad.
With all deference, it appears that you made the classic mistake(s) of pre-meds who keep reapplying without bothering to take a year or more to fix their apps. It appears that by now you have done so for the clinical experience, but you seem to have no research (and or productivity) that the Powerhouses want, and zero non-clinical volunteering.

It is too late in the cycle for you to add any more MD schools, but you need to add more DO schools. There's still time for that.

IF you are unsuccessful this cycle, it's time for something else.

With all deference, it appears that you made the classic mistake(s) of pre-meds who keep reapplying without bothering to take a year or more to fix their apps. It appears that by now you have done so for the clinical experience, but you seem to have no research (and or productivity) that the Powerhouses want, and zero non-clinical volunteering.

It is too late in the cycle for you to add any more MD schools, but you need to add more DO schools. There's still time for that.

I agree I made that mistake the first two application cycles. Between my second and third application cycles I did manage to get experience working in a pathology lab (industry job) and I did some additional volunteering at a VA hospital. In addition, I do have non-clinical volunteering. Unfortunately that volunteering was done during undergrad and for the past year and a half I've had difficulty finding time to volunteer as I work full time and I have been studying in a master's program, plus studying for the new MCAT during some of that time. I think volunteerism is definitely something I can work on moving forward, but there are only so many hours in a day you know? Based on the last few responses, you don't think a significantly improved (95th percentile) MCAT, with a 4.0 in my master's program, and thousands of clinical hours will give me a decent shot at acceptance this year simply because I'm a reapplicant? And if so, what is your reasoning for this opinion?

I do have non-clinical volunteering. Unfortunately that volunteering was done during undergrad and for the past year and a half I've had difficulty finding time to volunteer as I work full time and I have been studying in a master's program, plus studying for the new MCAT during some of that time. I think volunteerism is definitely something I can work on moving forward, but there are only so many hours in a day you know? Based on the last few responses, you don't think a significantly improved (95th percentile) MCAT, with a 4.0 in my master's program, and thousands of clinical hours will give me a decent shot at acceptance this year simply because I'm a reapplicant? And if so, what is your reasoning for this opinion?

Chances best at these schools,assuming you are a MO native. If not, and you didn't go to school in MO, delete them:

Saint Louis University
Dartmouth

ADD:
RVU
KCOM
Both AR schools
MUCOM
LECOM (both)
TUNCOM
BCOM
AZCOM
Touro-CA
ACOM
both PCOMs
VCOM
UIW

Chances best at these schools,assuming you are a MO native. If not, and you didn't go to school in MO, delete them:

Saint Louis University
Dartmouth

ADD:
RVU
KCOM
Both AR schools
MUCOM
LECOM (both)
TUNCOM
BCOM
AZCOM
Touro-CA
ACOM
both PCOMs
VCOM
UIW

I am a MO native and I completed my undergrad at Truman State University, in Kirksville, MO. I was looking into adding some additional DO schools, however, I never took "behavioral science" courses (AKA psych/soc) during undergrad. At the time that I was an undergrad pre-med, they weren't really priority pre-requisites. Many DO schools seem to be including behavioral science courses into their pre-req lists. Are these firm requirements that will automatically exclude me from consideration at those schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking into adding some additional DO schools, however, I never took "behavioral science" courses AKA psych/soc during undergrad. At the time that I was an undergrad pre-med, it wasn't really a priority pre-requisite. Many DO schools seem to be including behavioral science courses into their pre-req lists. Are these firm requirements that will automatically exclude me from consideration at those schools?
My take is that if a school says it's a requirement, then it's a requirement.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure what your point is. Are you suggesting that it's wise to apply to Harvard when you've failed to gain a single acceptance in three separate cycles? If I were in your place I'd prefer that people be honest rather than simply blowing sunshine up my butt, but you do you.

Reactions: 4 users
Not sure what your point is. Are you suggesting that it's wise to apply to Harvard when you've failed to gain a single acceptance in three separate cycles? If I were in your place I'd prefer that people be honest rather than simply blowing sunshine up my butt, but you do you.

I haven't applied to Harvard previously, and my application has improved significantly since I last applied. Plus my MCAT is high enough to at least get a look at schools like that. That's my point.

Hi Deku,
In addition to some of the other comments here, I would like to suggest that your almae matres are not working in your favor. I think the reach schools in your list more often consider applicants from undergrad schools which are more selective. Good luck in your journey.

I haven't applied to Harvard previously, and my application has improved significantly since I last applied. Plus my MCAT is high enough to at least get a look at schools like that. That's my point.
SDNers should never assume that a strong MCAT can mitigate multiple weaknesses in other part of the app. You are competing with people, at least with the the WashU class schools, who have hundreds, if not even thousands of hours of clinical activity, research and/or non-clinical volunteering. Plus leadership venues. Service loving schools like SLU want to see service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
The number one problem on here is your school list, way too many reaches and way too little mid tier school applied. Like other's said above its probably too late to apply other MDs, but mizzou should get back to you later and just be ready to ace that interview.

The number one problem on here is your school list, way too many reaches and way too little mid tier school applied. Like other's said above its probably too late to apply other MDs, but mizzou should get back to you later and just be ready to ace that interview.

Arturiase, I see that you are accepted at SLU, congratulations.

Plus Ultra and good luck to you

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck, but way to may reaches like everyone else said. I'm a little confused because you worked so hard in your years off and did the right things, but then didn't apply very broadly at all. It makes me concerned that you wont come off as humble in your interviews and might come in without a good perspective on being able to explain your weaknesses. Im just assuming here, but make sure that isn't the case. Prep like crazy for your interviews you do get. Good luck!

Good luck, but way to may reaches like everyone else said. I'm a little confused because you worked so hard in your years off and did the right things, but then didn't apply very broadly at all. It makes me concerned that you wont come off as humble in your interviews and might come in without a good perspective on being able to explain your weaknesses. Im just assuming here, but make sure that isn't the case. Prep like crazy for your interviews you do get. Good luck!

Yeah I've been trying to do plenty of interview prep. The interview is definitely a difficult area for me. I've done a couple mock interviews and a lot of mulling over questions. I've also read a med school interview guide book. I have two more mock interviews lined up before my interview at KU on wednesday. I feel pretty confident talking about ethical dilemmas, and the big questions like "tell me about yourself" or "why do you want to be a physician?". Any uncommonly heard, but helpful tips you might offer?

Yeah I've been trying to do plenty of interview prep. The interview is definitely a difficult area for me. I've done a couple mock interviews and a lot of mulling over questions. I've also read a med school interview guide book. I have two more mock interviews lined up before my interview at KU on wednesday. I feel pretty confident talking about ethical dilemmas, and the big questions like "tell me about yourself" or "why do you want to be a physician?". Any uncommonly heard, but helpful tips you might offer?
Be yourself. Or at least the best version of yourself. I've seen people prep a lot and have their answers come off as disingenuous and scripted. Make sure you are authentic and compassionate in your interview. Highlight your strengths and have a reason for going to the school. "Fit" is huge and you need to market yourself to fit the program without being disingenuous. But try to be relaxed and conversational with your interviewers.

What do you struggle with most in interviews? Sounds like this is a big challenge you are working on.

I think I struggle with confidence/imposter syndrome and as a result I feel like I'm fairly tense during my interviews.

I think I struggle with confidence/imposter syndrome and as a result I feel like I'm fairly tense during my interviews.

Just remember that both confidence and imposter syndrome are going to be important issues throughout medical school, residency, being an attending, basically your whole life. To be a doc, you need to have enough confidence to walk into a room with a stranger who is going to tell you their most personal details and might be trusting you with cutting into their body, doing invasive procedures like rectal exams or transvaginal ultrasounds, prescribing them medications, telling them they have cancer, talking to them about being assaulted, etc. As a medical student, programs want people who can overcome imposter syndrome and demonstrate confidence and professionalism in an interview. This means owning up to mistakes, being confident in yourself, and being able to hold a conversation in an interview.

You need to learn how to overcome the imposter syndrome (which legit is still with me as a 4th year med student) to demonstrate confidence. If you can't for an interview, it might be a red flag. Note that being nervous is 100% appropriate and okay during an interview. But you just need to try and overcome it just enough to sell yourself.

I know this must be devastating. Living your 20's in career limbo sucks. I got in my 4th try so I've been there. I'm going to tell you some hard things, though:

1) Your issue isn't imposter syndrome if you're applying to Yale and Harvard. that's the kind of school list a doting mom puts together. At MID-TIER interviews I talked to an applicant who founded a company that made surgical tools in Honduras. That is your competition.

2) You are vastly overestimating your MCAT and the fact you have a 4.0 graduate GPA. Consider yourself an applicant with a 3.77 uGPA. You'll see on SDN that the value o a graduate GPA is contentious.

3) Why no GW, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, or New York Medical College? Is it just the behavioral science requirement holding you back from so many solid mid-tiers?

4) Why no PCOM, Rowan, or UNECOM? Those are some of the best DO school with the most resources. Did you not meet prerequisites or did you half-ass your DO application without a letter? You should add as many DO schools as you can. DO IT NOW! If you want to be a doctor you should be willing to sell your soul for the privilege of sitting in detention at LECOM for dropping a pencil.

5) Do you have any non-clinical volunteering beyond the undergrad? Once you graduate, unless you continue experiences, they're going to go stale eventually.

This is just me talking as a medical student who applied a lot and didn't wise up to DO until later, but why not take a 5th cycle to do DO "right" and apply to all DO schools super early with some new volunteering? I would think his stats might bring him in with some fresh shadowing and under-served volunteer work. That was my experience.

Is it just a matter of moving on rather than staying in limbo, or do you think something else might be afoot? Because this seems to be an issue of some really bad application strategies.

If you want to be a doctor you should be willing to sell your soul for the privilege of sitting in detention at LECOM for dropping a pencil.

I literally laughed out loud on how accurate this is :laugh:

but on a serious note..... it is extremely important to apply broadly no matter what your stats are. You never know what schools are going to take interest in you and what schools aren't. Also, if you are struggling during interviews you need to 1) read that book I mentioned earlier and 2) do at least a few mock interviews for practice before the real thing. You wouldn't believe the simple mistakes we applicants can make during interviews lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses and advice everyone. I received word yesterday that I was accepted at Kansas University School of Medicine.

Reactions: 8 users
Oh no sorry, I just meant that as a general sentiment. I will be going to medical school next year though (not at KU though). Congrats again!

No worries, congrats to you too and good luck!

No offense meant here, but no it’s not. I’m a first time applicant with much better ECs, a better MCAT, an equal graduate gpa, and I didn’t even get an interview at the top schools I applied to.

No offense meant here, but no it’s not. I’m a first time applicant with much better ECs, a better MCAT, an equal graduate gpa, and I didn’t even get an interview at the top schools I applied to.

Much better ECs being relative maybe. I think maybe I didn't explain my EC's that well. My current clinical experience is at a level one trauma center in the emergency department, which serves primarily uninsured, underserved minorities and refugees. As far as clinical experience goes it doesn't get much better than that. I saw you were accepted as well, where did you get accepted Matthew9Thirtyfive?

Much better ECs being relative maybe. I think maybe I didn't explain my EC's that well. My current clinical experience is at a level one trauma center in the emergency department, which serves primarily uninsured, underserved minorities and refugees. As far as clinical experience goes it doesn't get much better than that. I saw you were accepted as well, where did you get accepted Matthew9Thirtyfive?

I have 7 years of active duty military experience including a bunch of clinical experience there, plus almost a decade of clinical experience as an OR tech and surgical first assistant, plus a ****load of volunteering (including an award for volunteering), two research pubs, a bunch of literature pubs, years of professional musicianship, and a bunch more stuff that I don’t feel like listing. Got rejected pre-secondary from UCSD and never got rejected pre-interview from Hopkins after months of silence.

But your undergrad gpa is higher than mine. Although I have a 4.0 postbacc, 4.0 grad gpa, and a higher MCAT. I’m not saying you’re not qualified. I’m just saying they have really high standards and sometimes schools you think you’d have a shot at don’t even look at you.

I didn’t apply to Harvard though. Maybe they’re different. Hopkins didn’t GAF about any of that stuff.

I have a couple acceptances but Quillen became my top choice after my interview and I just got accepted there last week. :) Congrats on your acceptance!

That is a pretty impressive resume. Surprised you didn’t get into whatever school you wanted. I’m starting to think the big Ivy League schools are just biased against non-traditional students, which makes no sense in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That is a pretty impressive resume. Surprised you didn’t get into whatever school you wanted. I’m starting to think the big Ivy League schools are just biased against non-traditional students, which makes no sense in my mind.

Yeah I dunno. I was expecting to get a lot of love from a lot of schools. The two top schools I applied to rejected me pre-II, and I even got ghosted at what I thought was a safety school (though I saw that coming because I am OOS).

But I also believe things happen for a reason, and I got into my top choice. So ultimately I am ending where I feel like I am supposed to be. :)

How did you like KUSM?

I liked KUSM a lot. They just revamped their curriculum and they have a shiny new medical education building. Plus I currently live in KC so I wouldn’t have to move. Of all the schools I interviewed at (and realistically applied to) it was my second choice. So I am pretty excited. I am still waiting to hear from my top choice, Mizzou. I was accepted at a couple of DO schools as well, however, I think the benefits of an MD school outweigh the things I like about the osteopathic schools.

MD schools will outweigh the benefits of DO schools seeing as MDs have more options for tougher specialties whereas DOs are often kept from getting more competitive specialties like surgery, radiology, and ENT.