Stereotypes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stepupstepup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, we are all too familiar with the stereotypes of ortho having all the jocks, derm/rads having all the high-spenders, and ob/gyn having the feminists. I haven't heard much about the sterotypes of ENT residents and attendings.

For everyone, how would you generalize the personalities in the ENT community?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, we are all too familiar with the stereotypes of ortho having all the jocks, derm/rads having all the high-spenders, and ob/gyn having the feminists. I haven't heard much about the sterotypes of ENT residents and attendings.

For everyone, how would you generalize the personalities in the ENT community?

I'm no ENT, but one generalization that I make is that ENT residents and attendings like the anatomy of the head and neck...oh and they also like surgery.

Good enough for ya?

I think people think of us as a bit more nerdy than the other surgeons.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard a couple of general surgeons refer to it as a "gentleman's specialty".

All of the ENTs I've met are cool and laidback people.

Is that really a stereotype?

I agree we're the nerdier specialty, but I think that's because we're more academic than most surgical specialties. I think the only surgical specialty that is may be more laid back than us is urology, because you seriously cannot do that job and be uptight.

Laid back nerds. That's ENT.

I agree we're the nerdier specialty, but I think that's because we're more academic than most surgical specialties. I think the only surgical specialty that is may be more laid back than us is urology, because you seriously cannot do that job and be uptight.

Laid back nerds. That's ENT.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Otology stereotype is more nerdy than typical ENT and head in the clouds. Also can be somewhat anal control freaks.

Head and neck is more in line with typical surgeon stereotype.

Facial plastics same as usual cosmetic surgeon stereotype.