Stereogenic configurations of Penicillin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the respective absolute configurations of the three stereogenic carbons in penicillin?

Image of penicillin Below:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...cillin_core.svg/512px-Penicillin_core.svg.png

A. R, R, R
B. R, R, S
C. S, S, R
D. S, S, S

What's your take on this question?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TBR Answer: A: R, R, R.

however, a friend and I were looking at this question, and the third stereogenic center is attached to a N (1), then attached to 2 carbons, 1 carbons (SCC), and another carbon (OOO)... They say it has a R configuration, but doesn't the S outbeat the O, which would make the configuration S?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are the respective absolute configurations of the three stereogenic carbons in penicillin?

Image of penicillin Below:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...cillin_core.svg/512px-Penicillin_core.svg.png

A. R, R, R
B. R, R, S
C. S, S, R
D. S, S, S

What's your take on this question?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TBR Answer: A: R, R, R.

however, a friend and I were looking at this question, and the third stereogenic center is attached to a N (1), then attached to 2 carbons, 1 carbons (SCC), and another carbon (OOO)... They say it has a R configuration, but doesn't the S outbeat the O, which would make the configuration S?

Hi @arc5005, I am a current tutor and took the MCAT last June. I think your reasoning is correct and also believe that the third stereogenic center should be S and not R.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, ARC5005.

I agree; it should be R, R, S. The third stereogenic carbon looks like it is R, but the "d" (lowest priority hydrogen) is not pointing backwards. They probably forgot to invert their answer. Your reasoning is correct that a sulfur-bonded carbon has higher priority over an oxygen-bonded carbon (no matter how many oxygen atoms are bonded to it).

Reactions: 1 user